Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think im gonna buy the y2k cobra r fiberglass hood, and i was also looking into a fiberglass or maybe even carbon fiber hatch for my fox. A guy on ebay is selling the hatches and i asked him how much does the fiberglass one weigh...

10lbs! we all know how heavy the stock hatch is...(its rediculous) i was wondering is it worth it, some ppl say u want the weight over the rear wheels, but im building more of a road race kinda car, so i would think less weight wherever is gonna mean better acceleration/braking/cornering

whatd think? is it worth the 400 bucks or what ever it was?

any one have em? and would i be able to bolt my saleen wing to it?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Take all the weight off you can. Everywhere. Then you can add it where u need it.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well like i see the guys with the notches get the fiberglass trunks all the time, and there rear end is even lighter than the hatch small window and small trunk, so i think it would make sense to drop 50lbs or what ever the difference is with that huge heavy hatch and window... id love to get my fox 2800 or lighter its gonna turn heads

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Id stay away from junk on ebay. No offense but why spend money and have problems than do it right the first time.

I have an ho fibertrends fiberglass hatch on mine and it fits like a glove. Also alot of those fiberglass hatches are made to put lexan in and not the regular glass.

·
Free Mouth Hugs
9,037 Posts
My hatch and hood are cervinis and fit nice, I have a cervinis "salleen" wing and the glass in it so I am not 100% sure but if I were to guess I would say its more then 10lbs :dunno

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
fiberglass or carbon fiber hatch isn't as much weight savings as you would think.. 90% of the weight you feel when you lift your hatch without a good set of hatch struts is the weight of the glass. There isn't much to the framing of the hatch.

I looked into throwing a carbon fiber hatch on one of my cars about a year ago for weight savings. I was going to paint it to match the car because I wasn't getting it for the cool factor but after handling a few hatches at alocal mustang junkyard that had the glass knocked out or taken out of them I realized there isn't but a pound or two of savings that could be had. Ask the guy selling this **** on ebay how much the stock hatchback glass weights then add that on top of the 10lbs he told you then add another 3lbs because he's prob just rounding down to make it more appealing.

The fiberglass hatch a friend bought weighed in at 13lbs.. then factor in the lock setup and the glass it was damn near close to a factory one but with a **** load of fitment issues that needed to be worked out by a body guy then he had to worry about slaming it too hard or people just kicking it in or prying it open to gain access to the car while adding tons of adjustability and gaining more clearance.

IF you look around the only cars you really see running fiberglass hatches are race cars.. cars that can use lexxan instead of glass because then your saving the weight.

I'd buy a cf hatch if they weren't so expensive just for the fact that it'll never ****ing bubble or rust like the oem ones do eventually but for the price of them i'd rather do a tubular front end and shave a ton of weight off the car

1 - 9 of 9 Posts