Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for the guys that have short throw shifters what do you think? Does it greatly improve the driving experience?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I have Tri-Ax in mine although I can't say its any better or worse than stock because it was already in the car when I got it. If I had the money though I'd buy a MGW Shifter. They're supposed to be one of the best.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you like your shifter? Like overall? Does it seem better than any other manual cars you've driven?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is yours not self centering? Because I know a lot of them are self centered so missing third shouldn't be a big deal I wouldn't think?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah ok, so is the one you have pretty smooth?

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
I have a Tri-ax as well. It is not as smooth as the stock shifter. It is best described as a "notchy" feeling when you change gears. I was considering swapping over to a MGW but they are just ugly.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a Tri-ax as well. It is not as smooth as the stock shifter. It is best described as a "notchy" feeling when you change gears. I was considering swapping over to a MGW but they are just ugly.
What do you think is ugly about the mgw? Don't the stock boots just go right over it?

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
The shaft is all bent out of proportion. Google it and you will see what i'm talking about.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
What ^ said, it is notchy feeling now that I think about it. I haven't driven any other manual cars but this one so again.....I cant say either way.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a Steeda tri ax too and it is okay. Its very notchy and I've missed 3rd a few times from power shifting. But for every day driving its great.

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
Wow, Iv'e never had a problem missing third. Reverse is a bitch though.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Wow, Iv'e never had a problem missing third. Reverse is a bitch though.
Yours too!?!? What is up with that? Mine is a PITA all the time. I don't get it.

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
It's a common problem with the t45. I just have to roll forward a bit then it will slide in.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The shaft is all bent out of proportion. Google it and you will see what i'm talking about.
Isn't that shape covered by the boot tho?

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
Yes, but it still looks very wierd. Their owners all swear by them though as the best shifter they have ever owned.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright I'll take a look but your probably right. What brand do you recommend for shortest throw and smoothest shift? I was looking at mgw but I'm open to other brands.

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
It's a personal choice as to what you like. Unfortuantely it's expensive to find the right one for you. If you know anyone local to you that has an aftermarket shifter ask to drive their car so you can get a feel for the differences.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I want something really smooth. I drove my friends audi and wow that thing is the smoothest shifting car ever. Not the fastest but the shifter felt like butter.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts