Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure there are threads on this already...but i just need some opinions. Im happy with my mach 460 system but i want to be able to play my ipod in there but not through an FM setting. So i guess I have 2 options. I can somehow hook it up through my cd/aux ? on the other hand it will only cost me like 200-300 bucks for a new head unit plus installation keeping stock speakers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
get a head unit that you can turn off the internal amp, the mach 460 conversion harness and a ipod cable, the mach speakers are ok, but the HU clarity is for ****..

that way you can also add a sub and amp alot easier.

ive got a Alpine, most of them have a option to run the outs unpowered.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
get a head unit that you can turn off the internal amp, the mach 460 conversion harness and a ipod cable, the mach speakers are ok, but the HU clarity is for ****..

that way you can also add a sub and amp alot easier.

ive got a Alpine, most of them have a option to run the outs unpowered.

actually running the internal amp of a headunit can be healpful when tagged along with the machs amps. if i had a better camera (phones video camera only right now) I could show you from my car. I have it tweaked to where the internal amp of the HU drives the front speakers, which in the mach are basically only the tweeters near the side mirrors and possibly one speaker in the door. if you tweak it just fight and balance each you actually get a really clean sound

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok...im getting conflicting information because im finding out that the 2004 mach 460 is different in the back than prior years? I think I am better off getting a different head unit ? but ive heard from others ( just like what stangfather said) that some speakers will not sound as good as it did with factory head unit? all this just to hook up an ipod? why the crap didnt ford think about this?!?! lol

·
Registered
139 Posts
i have the mach 460 as well...

just got a sub too...does the stock head unit have an input for it? over spring break i plan to rip out the new pioneers i have in my '98, put them in my new GT, and put my mach speakers in the '98. over the summer i want to get a touch screen head unit to run it all. am i gonna have to wait until then to put the sub in? until then i tolerate my am/fm receiver

·
Banned
169 Posts
i replaced my MACH 460 head unit..it's pretty much a piece of crap. i got way better sound from my Pioneer while utilizing the mach 460 amps and speakers.

I currently run a

Pioneer 5900IB (AM/FM/CD/MP3 Player (mp3 cd hold 155 songs roughly)
Ipod Interface Cable
20 GB Ipod loaded with 2,422 songs
Sirius Satellite Tuner Box w/ Sirius Subscription.
Alpine MRP-850 Monochannel Class D Amp
2 12" Kicker Subwoofers
Pioneer Bluetooth Interface (hands free talking while driving)

everything works with my remote. I can answer the phone by pushing up on the remote joystick button, then the bluetooth box patches the callers voice through the speakers, and I talk through a small microphone mounted on my visor. my remote gives me full control of my ipod as well, i can play randomly or by directory (sorted by artist).

·
Registered
139 Posts
yah man, sounds like my dream setup! lol

i'm gonna put pioneer 6x9 5-ways in the rear deck, pioneer 6x8 4-ways in the doors, and i want to replace my tweeters with some infinitis. also have a 200w bazooka sub (i know i know, but a friends was gettin rid of it). not sure which head unit i want yet, i'll do more research when it comes time to actually do some shopping.

·
Banned
169 Posts
yah man, sounds like my dream setup! lol

i'm gonna put pioneer 6x9 5-ways in the rear deck, pioneer 6x8 4-ways in the doors, and i want to replace my tweeters with some infinitis. also have a 200w bazooka sub (i know i know, but a friends was gettin rid of it). not sure which head unit i want yet, i'll do more research when it comes time to actually do some shopping.
i wouldn't recommend doing that to the internal speakers. they are set to certain ohms, and ratings to run off those factory amps. putting different internal speakers in will result in bad sound.

if i were you, I'd just order brand new speakers from Ford if they are bad.

with an aftermarket head unit pushing the speakers, they will sound just fine. the AF HU offers better base settings than the stock Mach 460. i was amazed by the sound, and when I added subs and amp it sounded even better.

·
Registered
139 Posts
hmm, ok...i'll look around. that's what i did to my 98 and i loved it, but then again...i' not an expert or anything. i was just thinkin since i have them...might as well swap them over ;-)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Listen to mixedbreed he's right, if i remember correctly they are set up for something stupid like 3 Ohms. You will really damage aftermarket speakers if you run them off the factory amps. My opinion take it all out, put in a new deck, 4 channel amp, new speakers, run a sub and a monoblock amp if you want. Kind of expensive option but the results are worth it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
like i said, that's deff my dream setup...but i don't have $2000 to spend on this project. haha any other ideas? what are some other options with keeping my factory amps? would a nice head unit make enough of a diff that i could just keep my stock speakers?

·
Banned
169 Posts
like i said, that's deff my dream setup...but i don't have $2000 to spend on this project. haha any other ideas? what are some other options with keeping my factory amps? would a nice head unit make enough of a diff that i could just keep my stock speakers?
you're gonna **** a brick when i tell you how much i spent on my system.

i paid a hair over $1,000. i bought everything on ebay.

from the connectors and ring terminals, to the subs and the amplifier, and the new HU, and EQ.

like I said before a good pioneer or panasonic mated to the Mach 460 sounds much better than it does right now with your stock Mach460 HU, better harder, cleaner bass, and the volume will go louder as well...it will get you by until you can afford your subs and amp.

also you can sell your head unit on ebay for $150 or more, cause that's what I got out of mine plus $17 for shipping.

·
Registered
139 Posts
yah, that's my first buy. but i guess i'll reconsider putting my pioneers in it for now.

ok, so...i've heard some good things and some bad things about dual head units. i was playin around at best buy the other day and fell in love with this...

Dual Electronics - In-Dash Mobile Video - XDVD8285

any opinions?

·
Banned
169 Posts
my only advice would be don't skimp on a DVD player like that. Go with Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer, Sony.

Dual, Boss, Pyle, and the rest are junk and break easy....there are a couple other cheap brand junk ones but can't think of the name of them.

you get what you pay for literally.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts