Modded Mustang Forums banner

Where should DiMora install his hood pins?

• Inward

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Outward

Votes: 21 70.0%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have picked up a Trufiber 3" cowl hood.

It will be torch red, with gloss black racing stripes. I am using Scott Drake hood pins.

What do you like better with a cowl hood?

Hood pins inward:

or hood pins outward:

They are currently "inward" with my factory GT hood with Roush hood scoop:

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it is getting pinned fo' shizzle.

You should always use hood pins with an aftermarket hood for safety. All aftermarket Mustang hood vendors state that hood pins are required - Trufiber included - which is the maker of my hood.

Just wondering...what is the purpose of hood pins? Looks only?
Looks-wise, it is a throwback to the 60's muscle car era, when hood-latches sucked and if you didn't have them, your hood often flew open.

As long as you use REAL hood pins (not stick-on ones for looks) they are fully functional and prevent your hood from opening during a 100+ mile per hour drag strip pass (or rolling down the freeway) should your factory hood latch fail.

·
DEC '12 ROTM CO-Winner
5,081 Posts
Looks-wise, it is a throwback to the 60's muscle car era, when hood-latches sucked and if you didn't have them, your hood often flew open.
That's why I got mine, the new hood wouldn't work well with the latch so I just took the latch off entirely. Never had a problem with my old steel hood though. Still love the look of them though.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
I would put them toward the corners. But it also depends on the slope of the hood. Look for which area is more level. I have the Scott Drake pins and flipped my bracket over to move my pins outboard just because of the stripes on my hood, just looked better where they laid. But just that little bit of difference angled the base on the hood just a degree or two and that little angle prevents the pin from sitting completely flush on both sided of the hole. I fixed this by applying my Dremel to the higher side. This will remove the anodized coating in that spot but it's going to get worn in that particular spot anyways.

And for those who think they are just for looks, have you watched your hood at speed? Mine used to flutter pretty bad at speeds just over 75. And at 100+ it can be down right unnerving to see how much it actually flexes and lifts. I like the fact that it is made out of light aluminum but it could have used a little more bracing. Pins provide me with peace of mind which, at speed, is one less thing to worry about.

·
Hey Everybody, Come See How Hard I Parked!
13,873 Posts
I would put them toward the corners. But it also depends on the slope of the hood. Look for which area is more level. I have the Scott Drake pins and flipped my bracket over to move my pins outboard just because of the stripes on my hood, just looked better where they laid. But just that little bit of difference angled the base on the hood just a degree or two and that little angle prevents the pin from sitting completely flush on both sided of the hole. I fixed this by applying my Dremel to the higher side. This will remove the anodized coating in that spot but it's going to get worn in that particular spot anyways.

And for those who think they are just for looks, have you watched your hood at speed? Mine used to flutter pretty bad at speeds just over 75. And at 100+ it can be down right unnerving to see how much it actually flexes and lifts. I like the fact that it is made out of light aluminum but it could have used a little more bracing. Pins provide me with peace of mind which, at speed, is one less thing to worry about.

Lol I ran my pins so the pins so they were high on the one side so the lanyards could be tucked under to take out the slack. I love the look of the lanyards so it was a no brainer for me.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
409 Posts

·
I smell like beef
5,580 Posts
I like the look of hood pins; I want them to be seen.

Man up! Don't be skeert. :bubba:
Drilling into painted parts...I'm skeeeert! My hood feels solid as a rock. It doesn't even wiggle when you yank on it. I dunno. Do drag strips require pins?

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
Where you drill is going to get covered, but it can be a little unnerving. I can't wait till I saw a hole in my hood for my Hilborne style scoop/Tru CAI.

Most aftermarket hoods are going to be stiffer than the OEM aluminum ones.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts