Modded Mustang Forums banner

Wich battery should I get? Red top or Yellow top(no heavy audio in future planned)

• Optima Red Top

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • Optima Yellow top

Votes: 7 33.3%
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to check if its really necessary to have the yellow top if I'm not doing any big electrical upgrades. Or do you guys recommend a different batt.ery

·
Registered
54 Posts
RED TOP, DO NOT GET YELLOW TOP.
The yellow top is designed for cars with sound systems, its designed to completely drain the battery unlike normal batteries that just lose some of the charge.
Back when my brother had a show truck he used them but he had a absolutly insane sound system.
The red top works just like a normal battery. Its what I use, it works great. I've seen it in a few other mustangs as well.
If you want more info on it I have the manual right here and I can run you through the installation as well. (I installed mine about 2 weeks ago, price was 200 at Autozone)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I noticed the red is runnin for 174.99 at american muscle. I'm also getting the PA performance alternator from them. My alternator just died too. I wonder if I really need that battery too. My stock battery has died twice.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm also trying to see if I really need a 4 guage wire for the setup

·
Registered
583 Posts
I've had a yellow top for over a year now. Not a single problem with it. No upgraded sound system or anything in the car. Has the stock shaker 500 system. The car even sat for 8 months while i was in iraq. Not once was it started while i was gone. Came back and connected everything and it turned over on the first try. Started like it was just turned off minutes ago.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a pretty decent price. I just noticed Optima website has it for the same with 10 bucks of shipping.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well Optima batteries are generaly great.

Heres what the manual says about the batteries and their uses.

RED TOP-Use this for normal engine starting where an alternator immediately monitors the state if charge and provides energy to the battery whenever it is needed. The would descride most stock vehicles.
-Automotive and RV under-hood starting.
-Heavy equipment where starting is primary function.
-Diesel powered vehicles with no aftermarket electronics

Yellow Top- Use this when electrical loads are higher than typical engine starting, such as vehicles with multiple electronic accessories and vehicles without alternators. This can inculde vehicles with a lot of factory electronics, such as a minivan with power sliding doors and a dvd player.
-Racing vehicles without a charging system (alternator or generator)
-Dedicated drag racing vehicles.
-Diesel powered vehicles with aftermarket electronics
-Car audio/video applications exceeding 250 watts over the OE system
-Vehicles or heavy equipment with inverters, hydraulics, winches or other accessories.
-Electric vehicles.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmmmm you are making me wanna get the yellow top :confused:
How about the #4 wire?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I sholud have made a post out of this thread for red top vs yellow top

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how the hell do you do that, am I late?

·
Registered
583 Posts
lol i have no idea...i think only administrators can do cool things like that. I know that the forum i am on here locally in SC has poll's. And its set up just like this forum...maybe this forum doesnt have that option?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah some people run polls here like crazy but I haven't been able to do it myself

·
Registered
128 Posts
SEARS DieHard FTMFW!!!!! :p lol what's the deal with the Optima batteries? my battery just died a month ago, but I really didn't see the need or know why it would be worth more for the Optima...

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
who put the poll up?!
lmao I found out how it's at the top of the page at thred tools.

SEARS DieHard FTMFW!!!!! :p lol what's the deal with the Optima batteries? my battery just died a month ago, but I really didn't see the need or know why it would be worth more for the Optima...
Have you had a good experience with Die Hard?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts