Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking on the optima website for the proper battery for my 1996 cobra and there wasn't any recommended batteries. I started my car for the first time this season and I drove it for about a 1/2 hour and got gas by the time I tried to start it there wasn't enough juice to turn her over. Kinda think that my alternator is bad. I have one lying around from my brothers 85 gt, are alternators pretty much the same deal?

·
Registered
663 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't just buy an alternator from anywhere. The only time I ever hear of a problem is if you have an extensive audio system and underdrive pullies.

As for a decent brand, someone else may be able to recommend.

Also, I too am looking for the proper Optima battery for my '96.

·
Registered
176 Posts
i just got my redtop from autozone.

my alternator also crapped out on my old 96 cobra i just went with the replacement from autozone with the warranty and didnt worry about it. just fyi you dont have to completely remove the bottom alternator bolts that hold it in. just loosen them and take all of the top mounting bolts out and it will pull straight up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool thanks, did you have to do any modifications with the optima battery or did you just relocate it to the trunk?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Relocating the battery to the trunk will disperse the weight of the vehicle. Giving better traction under hard acceleration.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts