1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've done the most fantastic job of grinding into another gear,

once again because i was too busy enjoying music and doing lazy footwork and

GRWJLKEJFEWOHFWLEKJF,

so i want to Dump that old fluid, check for shavings..or if it's unneccesary i still want to change the fluid because it's pretty hard to get into second gear and i'd rather do that instead of replacing a synchro :x

So i've looked on the forums and cant find a single brand name or suggested weight for our trannies...I've heard royal purple

then i've heard people bash it

then i've heard some TF nonsense

then i've heard people bash that

So what do i put in my transmission, how much and why? I think this could be an educational thread if the right people answer...much appreciated and thank you :)

(keep in mind i'm in jersey and the weather is cold enough to freeze your balls off right now)

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Another good one is people use Pennzoil Synchromesh and Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Just search on here for it and you'll find it. I'm personally running Redline Oil's High-Temp ATF. Shifts pretty good now IMO.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I had been running RP Synchromax for 60k miles and two changes, mostly because I could get it at cost from a fiend. However the recession killed that source so I went the Mobil 1 ATF (per Tremec's recommendation) about 5k miles ago.

Have to tell you it shifts much more smoothly than with the RP, and the classic 3650 "glitch" between 1st and 2nd is all but gone.

Make sure you only load 3.0L (3.2qts) as described in this TSB.

·
Mach1 FTW
2,223 Posts
i have been using GM syncro-mesh in all my transmissions (mustang and ranger) wont go with anything else. fill the TR3650 up with 3 quarts exactly and no more.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
i have been using GM syncro-mesh in all my transmissions (mustang and ranger) wont go with anything else. fill the TR3650 up with 3 quarts exactly and no more.
3 qts of just gm syncro mesh?

·
SlowFiveOh
2,370 Posts
same here. I tried absolutely every other fluid last year, GM synchromesh works the best imo. It progressively got better all the time in how well/smooth it shifted

·
Resident asshole
1,694 Posts
amsoil...i have read every thread and googled it countless times....i had the same problem in my t45....i changed out the fluid put in the amsoil synchromesh ....and i didnt fill it...i put 3.4 quarts and done deal...problem solved and its good for 50000....just my 2 cents....just make sure you go synthetic...its a pita top get under and do it so the less often the better

·
Mach1 FTW
2,223 Posts
3 qts of just gm syncro mesh?
:yes:yes:yes
thats all you need.

same here. I tried absolutely every other fluid last year, GM synchromesh works the best imo. It progressively got better all the time in how well/smooth it shifted

i agree with you on how it seems to shift smoother as you get a few miles on the fluid. not sure whats in the stuff but i will keep buying it :D

·
Registered
305 Posts
i just went to autozone and got pennzoil synchromesh today. im not using any lucas oil stabilizer, seems like snake oil and not sure that it would really do anything. just straight synchromesh.

·
Resident asshole
1,694 Posts
i just went to autozone and got pennzoil synchromesh today. im not using any lucas oil stabilizer, seems like snake oil and not sure that it would really do anything. just straight synchromesh.
d
DONT USE LUCAS OIL STABILIZER EVER...go to the site bob is the oil guy....they show that lucas airates your oil and that is very bad....very bad...i used to use it til i read what they have in that forum and never ever again

·
Cum On Me Bro
8,106 Posts
I have some evidence and a question.

First off http://www.mach1registry.com/images/TREMECServiceTopic3-02.pdf

That's a document which says Tremec recommends Dextron III for the 3650.

And my question is, does the car need to be level when filling the transmission? Cause I just did tried to put new fluid in today, just put the front end up on ramps. When I finished refilling, as soon as I took the pump hose out of the fill hole it started leaking out. I thought it was supposed to be below the fill hole when filled to 3.2quarts

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Mine liked the Mobil 1, but I have heard lots of people praise the GM syncromesh. Bottom line is that fresh fluid is better than tired old broken down fluid that is full of small metal particles. Keep fresh high quality fluid in there and you will have far less shifting issues.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm a royal purple whore... I have it in my tranny (manual) and in my rear differential. I love it honestly. A lot of people will bash it it's really just a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I have some evidence and a question.

First off http://www.mach1registry.com/images/TREMECServiceTopic3-02.pdf

That's a document which says Tremec recommends Dextron III for the 3650.
What is stated in that document is:

"An ATF fluid such as Dexron III will provide the best results."

The TR-3650 service manual contains this table:

Actually "real" Dexron III has not been available since 2006 when GM stopped licensing the specification--ATF's sold as Dexron III "type" are no longer regulated as complying to the original spec.

And my question is, does the car need to be level when filling the transmission? Cause I just did tried to put new fluid in today, just put the front end up on ramps. When I finished refilling, as soon as I took the pump hose out of the fill hole it started leaking out. I thought it was supposed to be below the fill hole when filled to 3.2quarts
It needs to be reasonably level, and depending on the height of the ramps what you observed could happen--most ramps I've seen would be high enough to behave as you describe.

Reactions: sikedsyko

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What is stated in that document is:

"An ATF fluid such as Dexron III will provide the best results."

The TR-3650 service manual contains this table:

Actually "real" Dexron III has not been available since 2006 when GM stopped licensing the specification--ATF's sold as Dexron III "type" are no longer regulated as complying to the original spec.
So since Dexron 3 III is no longer in the question, i'm still more puzzled than ever. That link claims that there is paper and rings in our transmission that will apparently be harmed or negativley impacted if using this supposed Syncromesh! All of you guys saying your stuff shifts better...is that possible due to a negative impact on the transmission? like...idk i just want to be able to shift smooth as butter in cold weather, it sucks to be in NJ.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts