Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering, in what order did everyone modify (or IS modifying) their vehicles?? Did you focus on appearance first and got the itch... Then started performance? Or day off the lot bought a supercharger??? Or suspension kit?

Just curious as to what everyone thinks should be the first, second, third, and so on.... when it comes to tinkering with our toys...

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
I replaced everything that squeaked first: springs, shocks and brakes. Then I got tires and wheels and a CAI. Then I got new headlights. Then I got LCAs and panhard rod. In the mean time my clutch went so I replaced that at some point. I saved up for a shortblock but ended up buying a tranny instead.

Next I'm getting a roll bar to get on the track, followed by new seats. Then the shortblock hopefully. Then full on suspension. Then heads. Then fuel. Then supercharger.

Finally, a factory five kit to throw much of it into.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
There is no perfect way to do things. Set a goal for power and looks decide what is more important then do research. Lots of it. The main thing to avoid is buying parts your going to take off later. I built my car in a month. Ordered my fuel system, intake, drive train, suspension, and sc in a couple of phone calls over a couple of days. I had been dreaming the build for years, just had to find the car and buy it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is no perfect way to do things. Set a goal for power and looks decide what is more important then do research. Lots of it. The main thing to avoid is buying parts your going to take off later. I built my car in a month. Ordered my fuel system, intake, drive train, suspension, and sc in a couple of phone calls over a couple of days. I had been dreaming the build for years, just had to find the car and buy it.
I couldn't agree with you more. Pointless in buying stuff you won't ultimately use. I am just wondering in what order everyone else is conquering their respective stang.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wheels and Tires 1st.. This will set the car off from those ugly factory 5 spoke alloys. Then I went with CAI, 4.10 Gears, SCT tuner, Short throw shifter, Audio system, Tinted Tail light and smoked headlights, shift knob and a few other minor interior mods. then went for body appearance, Got a 03/04 cobra bumper, next looking to get a 4in cowl.... But like everyone says.. its more your preference and wallet. just as long as you have some sort of idea as where you want the car to be when your finished. Honestly me... I dont think ill ever be finished... currently working on a 5.1 stroker =)))

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
My focus was performance mods. The cosmetic mods had a purpose.

1) 13" Cobra brakes because the front calipers went bad.
2) BBK 75mm TB/Plenum, subframe connectors, ProCharger kit and gauges.
3) During installation we discovered the previous owner has installed underdrive pulleys. Since we didn't have stock pulleys to put back on we installed a Meizere Electric waterpump.
4) The tune was less than ideal so six months later we put on a MAFia before a retune.
5) Put on long-tubes before the re-tune. I wouldn't do this again.
6) A relay went out on the electric water pump leaving me stranded. I thought it might be excessive heat in the engine compartment from the supercharger and headers so I had a '95 Cobra R heat extracting hood put on.
7) Since it was in the body shop already I had the Mach I grill delete put in and the rear spoiler moved back 2". These are probably the only mods done only for looks.
8) 3.73 gears and 31 spline axles. Not sure about this mod on a daily driver.
9) Bought bigger wheels and tires because there was no traction.
10) Bought UPR ProSeries UCAs/LCAs because there was no traction. Bad decision.
11) Centerforce Dual Friction clutch (original clutch had 150,000 miles on it). Still have no traction.

If I had it to do all over again I would skip #3 and stop at #4. My car is a street car with an occasional trip to the strip. Everything after #4 has made the car less streetable expecially the UCA/LCAs. In town the squeeking and creaking because of the control arms drives me crazy. Going to 3.73s and a supercharger just made traction worse and you don't need 31 spline axles unless you run sticky tires. My next step is drag radials. If I lived in the southwest where it never rains that might be OK but it rains here all the time. 315/35/17 drag radials are not what you want on a car during a spring downpour.

Figure out what you want to do with your car and plan your mods accordingly. If all you want is a good looking street car then forego some of the more common performance mods. Don't let little mods nickle and dime you to death. Save for the big ticket items first.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The suspension is my main focus so my order is,

FLSFCs
LCAs
PHB/TA
C/O
Tube K

But as others have stated it is important to figure out your ultimate goal.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Totally depends on what brings you enjoyment from your car. You could slap a SC on it the day you buy it, but for some that would take some of the fun out of the modding process.

Like Eagle said, don't get carried away with all the little performance mods that net minimal HP - They add up quick. Things like cold air intakes and UD pullies are a waste for a near-stock 2V in my opinion.

If I did it again, I would start with 4.10 gears, a short throw shifter, and a sweet sounding mid-pipe / catback combo. These are the things that make it fun to drive and "feel" like a Stang. Next, beef up the suspension and lower it a bit. From there, if you want more power, start saving for a supercharger - most bang for the buck.

This was my order:
-Lowering Springs
-Short Throw Shifter
-Mach 1 Grille delete & chin spoiler
-mid-pipe & catback
-Plenum & Throttle Body
-Flash Tuner
-Gears
-Shocks & Struts
-Wheels / Tires
-Clutch / Flywheel
-Supercharger / Built Engine

·
Registered
890 Posts
I did.
-apperance
-rear suspension
-14" brembo brakes
-wheels
-NOS
-gears and tune

·
Registered
601 Posts
Before any modifications, I'd make sure all the standard maintenance is done. Tune-up, no CEL's, fluid changes, brakes etc.

For a DAILY DRIVER I would:
Stage 1) Exhaust (Mostly for the sound) & CAI/Highflow Filter
Stage 2) Sport/Lowering Springs & Rims/Tires
Stage 3) Stereo/Audio & Tint
Stage 4) STOP and enjoy the car while I saved for a poweradder worth something! (Boost, Nitrous, etc.)

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I'd have to say...

Wheels
exhaust
cai
lowering springs
tuner
maybe gears but nothing that will overkill the mileage

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Fixed all my squeaks/squeals.
Black Vinyl letters in the bumper
Mach 1 chin/grill delete
Bought a new radio
Then bought exhaust
Trunk blackout kit
Now I'm getting rims.

·
MM Gaming Guru
5,692 Posts
I lucked out with my GT. It came with FR500s on it, definitely saved me some money. :D, also came with a Cold Air.

Since it's my DD and my budget is slim, I focused on cheap things that I enjoyed.

I've really only purchased little visual stuff, like the Mach grille etc., and just recently bought tires. Next are brakes, new plugs, and my close-to-70k-tune-up. ALso bought a hand-held tuner, for fun. :p

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Mine went something like this:

1) CAI (could accomplish the same thing with a drop-in filter, but I didn't know better at the time)
2) Cat-back/mid-pipe (made driving much more fun)
3) Rear seat delete
4) 78mm tb/plenum (very little hp gain, but noticeably improved throttle response)
5) 18" GT500 wheels and Nitto 555s
6) SCT Tuner
7) Slicks and skinnies on 15" wheels & line lock
8) 31-spline TrueTrac w/3.73s
9) Cobra R hood
10) Subframe connectors & driveshaft loop
11) Rear suspension

·
No longer Maching out...
3,368 Posts
I did the exterior first (not my choice). When I lived at home my parents didn't want me to do anything to the motor but I snuck things in every now and then. I did my exhaust completely backwards: mufflers, o/r x, and then headers, but the headers were a damn good deal and I didn't think I'd ever do them. As for motor work I've just been doing little things every now and then. The suspension came first after the exhaust and exterior, then motor work started.

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
Bought The car and did heads cam exhaust gears first as well a basic matenience.
Then drag radials
Tubular rear arms
Stage 3 clutch and aluminum fly
And now full tube front end with coilovers and a turbo.

Thinking back. I haven't done much in the last year.

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
i kind of jump arouns

cutt the springs
exhaust ( 4 diff setups)
wingless, black out panel
mach gill
3 inch stianless tips
410s
long tubes, off road x
stc tuner
17x9 17x10.5 custom painted bullits with 315-45-17 555rs
painted windsheild frame
painted interior
chin spoiler ( not on yet)
75mm tb/plenum
strange rear adjs. shocks
tube PA racing k frame
mm cc plates ( not on yet)
raptor shift light ( not on yet)
20% tint
tinted tails

thats all i can think of right now, but its not in any order

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am actually surprised how many people haven't gone with straight performance..... Seems the majority like a better looking stang than I high horse power one... I am trying to keep mine even. I go back and forth between appearance and performance.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Mines a work in progress

1 - 20 of 45 Posts