Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
ExPeNsIvE HoBbY
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered my Chris Alston's Chassisworks 8 point Roll Cage today!

Even tho I don't Drag Race and will be AutoX'ing and open track day'n my car I will still be NHRA certified for 8.50 and up. Here is an edited drawing of what I am getting(I eliminated the parts of the cage I'm not getting, optional parts)

ImageUploadedByAutoguide1356318063.993259.jpg

Pretty excited to get this bad boy in and get some warmer days to take the top off lol.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
i guess i will be that asshole and say it, why spend money on a cage setup, why not do some go fast mods,

im not trashing the V6, i have one myself, just wondering what the point is

·
ExPeNsIvE HoBbY
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i guess i will be that asshole and say it, why spend money on a cage setup, why not do some go fast mods,

im not trashing the V6, i have one myself, just wondering what the point is
I'm trying to be smart about this build.

Fixed the major issue first(needed a new top) so I spent $2500 and got a removable hard top. Also removed the convertible unit and saved 150lbs.

Did an eibach pro kit suspension(going to change everything to torque arm/watts link rear and possibly a 4 a arm setup in front with coilovers.)

Then went with some MM XL FLSFC's

Made my own rear shock tower brace

Cage is next

Gonna trunk mount the battery

Basically I want the chassis suspension and safety stuff done first, then I'm gonna throw in my 5.4 4v setup and tubular k to finally make some respectable numbers...

Basically none of these mods are FOR a V6, just getting stuff ready for some power.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
i see, well have fun installing the cage, might be easier in a vert but the 6 point one i put in a fox sucked some major balls

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
i see, well have fun installing the cage, might be easier in a vert but the 6 point one i put in a fox sucked some major balls
Cages and roll bars are easy if you plan everything ahead of time. I can do a 6 point roll bar in less than 8 hours, includes bending, notching, and welding it all in.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Cages and roll bars are easy if you plan everything ahead of time. I can do a 6 point roll bar in less than 8 hours, includes bending, notching, and welding it all in.
well this was the first time doing it and we didnt plan too well

lol

·
ExPeNsIvE HoBbY
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol luckily this thing is prebent and notched so it shouldn't be more than a few hours.

And ya, being a vert is great, no need to poke holes in the floor to get the top of the main hoop or a pillar bars lol

·
Registered
3,214 Posts

·
ExPeNsIvE HoBbY
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone install the windshield bars and forward bars?

Gotta figure out how to mount this thing thru the dash to the floorboard in front lol. Dont wanna cut my dash but I know I'll have to

·
ExPeNsIvE HoBbY
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got some pre-cage prep done this weekend...

Gutted the interior minus dash and door panels:
ImageUploadedByAutoguide1356919996.787962.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoguide1356920015.164290.jpg

Pulled the seam sealer in the places it's going to be welded, and removed all my sound deadening material:
ImageUploadedByAutoguide1356920065.109424.jpg

Then cleaned up any residue and painted the bald areas:
ImageUploadedByAutoguide1356920091.535136.jpg

Cage got delayed but should be here next week. Almost ready lol

·
ExPeNsIvE HoBbY
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mind me asking what color you are going to paint the roll cage? type paint? spray vs. brush? Thanks!
Well picking the cage up tomorrow after work, and got my buddies welder here now too, so some work will begin!

As far as paint, in going to use this Rustoleum industrial stuff that we get at work for small piece parts. It goes on nice, and gets beat to hell on our machines and still looks good. Pretty durable stuff. It will be black, to match the top half of my paint scheme.

Oh ya and its a spray not a roll-on.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts