Modded Mustang Forums banner

Ordering MGW tomorrow

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Kadorja 
#1 ·
Alright since my other thread got no responses (sadface) I figured why not and just get the MGW knob. I didnt realize that the Rally Series **** knobs where also made for 5 speed so im going with the black w/ silver stripes and possibly the pony on the side it looks pretty nice.

Anyways I just had a few questions about the shifter. I am replacing the Hurst in my car with the MGW and while I still have the stock shifter I am just wondering if the Hurst didnt use any stock pieces besides some of the rubber mounts and stuff. I was in the car feeding the shifter down while my buddy bolted everything on and it was a while ago so I dont remember if it reused every bolt. Im sure I still have the stock pieces but I really dont want to pull the Hurst off and find out im missing a critical bolt that no store has somehow.

Also looking at the install video online MGW said the shorter the throw on the shifter the notchier the shifter will be. Anyone going with the 50% shorter than stock throw? I just want something a little less notchy than the Hurst and easier to get into gear... it doesn't want to go in as easy as it did stock and the 2nd to 3rd shift isnt as good as the MGW apparently. Its short enough it just doesn't feel comfortable anymore and its starting to rattle now which is very annoying.

Also just as a comparison has anyone ever switched from a Hurst to a MGW? Just want to compare the shortest throw between the two.

Also thinking about trading in my PT1911 for a Five-seveN tomorrow :)

Well my 1911 and about $700.... expensive gun.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I figured why not and just get the MGW knob. I didnt realize that the Rally Series **** knobs where also made for 5 speed so im going with the black w/ silver stripes and possibly the pony on the side it looks pretty nice.

Anyways I just had a few questions about the shifter. I am replacing the Hurst in my car with the MGW and while I still have the stock shifter I am just wondering if the Hurst didnt use any stock pieces besides some of the rubber mounts and stuff. I was in the car feeding the shifter down while my buddy bolted everything on and it was a while ago so I dont remember if it reused every bolt. Im sure I still have the stock pieces but I really dont want to pull the Hurst off and find out im missing a critical bolt that no store has somehow.

Also looking at the install video online MGW said the shorter the throw on the shifter the notchier the shifter will be. Anyone going with the 50% shorter than stock throw? I just want something a little less notchy than the Hurst and easier to get into gear... it doesn't want to go in as easy as it did stock and the 2nd to 3rd shift isnt as good as the MGW apparently. Its short enough it just doesn't feel comfortable anymore and its starting to rattle now which is very annoying.

Also just as a comparison has anyone ever switched from a Hurst to a MGW? Just want to compare the shortest throw between the two.

Also thinking about trading in my PT1911 for a Five-seveN tomorrow :)

Well my 1911 and about $700.... expensive gun.
Congrats on the upgrade! (settle down, my Hurst homies...)
The MGW throw is adjustable by unthreading or threading in the fulcrum and the throw is lengthened or shortened. I wanted a short throw, so I have it threaded in 7 out of 10 turns, which was MGW's recommended maximum if you wanted to avoid notchiness.
The 2-3 shift is damn-near idiot proof. You just push hard on the shifter and it goes right to its home, #3.
Good luck and enjoy!

oh, yeah. Those Rally Series knobs are cool!

#9 ·
Order directly from MGW, George is a super cool guy. MGW LTD doesn't sell to any vendors for intended resale. There were some vendors that were selling them but they were only buying them for full price and selling them for the same thing for whatever reason...

Yeah I planned on getting mine straight from MGWs website... unless they're out and no one told me!!!!!!

Lets hope not I can barely wait to get my pistol let alone my shifter. Oh and im getting the K-member support for my trans too. Yay smoother shifts.
Who said they were out of stock??

.. with the torque limiters, right??

I personally have mine at 6 and I like it. I considered going to 5 but then after a week or so it kind of grew on me.
I've got mine at 5 and find it the perfect amount of throw. There comes a point where even when it's super short it seems like it takes longer to shift because of the increased effort. Beyond that 5 is perfect for daily driving in my opinion.

#6 ·
Yeah I planned on getting mine straight from MGWs website... unless they're out and no one told me!!!!!!

Lets hope not I can barely wait to get my pistol let alone my shifter. Oh and im getting the K-member support for my trans too. Yay smoother shifts.

#8 ·
If you call MGW, they will tell you how many turns is equivalent to any other brand shifter. I asked them about the Hurst, because for 30 minutes I liked they way it felt before yanking that noisy SOB out of there.

That was about a year ago, but I think he told me 7 turns. He tried talking me out of doing that, saying it would be really notchy. So I went with 6 turns and I think that is not too notchy. You feel the notch, but it doesn't take any extra effort to get it in or out of gear.

#10 ·
Everyone was just asking about where to get them so I thought there might of been a shortage or something. I did check on Ebay and couldnt find a single one. I figured MGW had a lot of them in stock they seem popular.

And yes with the torque limiters. A k-member alone wont really help me much. I do have the feeling with the Hurst sometimes where it just does not want to go into gear. Im really hoping that with the MGW set at a slightly smoother point and the K-member with torque limiters will let it glide through the gears like other cars ive driven. I do however hate the super smooth long throw that a lot of new vehicles have. I want to feel when I put the car into another gear but I dont want it to require me to snap the shifter knob off like it does with the Hurst sometimes.

I still want my new gun too... hopefully the guy buying my Vette is gone before 11am so I can take my old pistol to the gun store and see what they will give me for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.