Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took my car into the shop few weeks ago because the fan wasnt coming on and i wasnt getting any pressure through the top radiator hose and i tried trouble shooting a few things and got aggrivated.

Anyhow, I put a new thermostat in it so I kno its not the thermostat stoping the flow from getting into the radiator..

However the guy called me friday and said that My intake manifold was cracked and leaking.

Would this stop the coolant from getting to the radiator or would this just be more of a leaking problem that could wait aslong as i keep my eye on the fluids.

I rather just change and put the PI intake manifold on it if i'm going to have to change it and he dont kno how. BUt he insists that the intake manifold is what is making it over heat(and ofcourse the fan).

I just dont want to have a new intake manifold put on the car and they get hit with, now I Need a water pump or a new radiator (I kno i will need a fan motor).

Basically my question is would the intake manifold problem actually be a big cause in over heating or just more of a leaking problem.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well I took my car into the shop few weeks ago because the fan wasnt coming on and i wasnt getting any pressure through the top radiator hose and i tried trouble shooting a few things and got aggrivated.

Anyhow, I put a new thermostat in it so I kno its not the thermostat stoping the flow from getting into the radiator..

However the guy called me friday and said that My intake manifold was cracked and leaking.

Would this stop the coolant from getting to the radiator or would this just be more of a leaking problem that could wait aslong as i keep my eye on the fluids.

I rather just change and put the PI intake manifold on it if i'm going to have to change it and he dont kno how. BUt he insists that the intake manifold is what is making it over heat(and ofcourse the fan).

I just dont want to have a new intake manifold put on the car and they get hit with, now I Need a water pump or a new radiator (I kno i will need a fan motor).

Basically my question is would the intake manifold problem actually be a big cause in over heating or just more of a leaking problem.

First of all if your having flow issues then there is probably a blockage somewhere in the cooling system, i.e. the radiator or possibly the intake. The leaking shouldn't cause overheating unless it was leaking to the point of emptying the system. The impeller on the water pump may have departed from the shaft which is turned by the belt???? I had to put a fan motor in mine this past summer and it ran me $253 from Ford, but I got a discounted price.:woot I wouldn't do the intake replacement just yet until you're sure of the reason for the coolant not circulating. Get that all straight and go PI!!!!:D

Good luck!

·
Registered
962 Posts
if its cracked YOU HAVETO REPLACE IT... fix whats wrong before searching for other problems, mine overheated a couple times when it cracked, i have a feeling the replacement will definately help out... read the stickys at the top of the page, and fix what you know to be wrong with it and if it doesnt work, go searching again...

2cents thrown in again...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well hes already replacing the intake manifold.

However if he calls me with a bunch of other bs and high prices, i can fix the rest of the stuff myself.

A fan seems to be pretty easy to replace, and a waterpump seems pretty easy as well, pop the serp belt, remove the water pump pulley take out the water pump and then reverse.

He said he should have the manifold replaced by the beginning of this week and will give me a call I only have 800 bucks and the manifold is going to cost me 500 so I only have 300 left to get it fixed, so I might have to do the rest myself if he talks shady. Good thing is by replacing the manifold he will have already flushed the system for me and basically tell me what the problem is, so i can do the rest labor free.

·
Registered
962 Posts
f that, do the manifold your self, its a 4 hour swap and extremely easy...

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
do EVERYTHING yourself...just tell them thank you and take ur car home....my intake cracked...i didnt do PI i just do regular intake mani....<<<regrets it

·
Registered
962 Posts
do EVERYTHING yourself...just tell them thank you and take ur car home....my intake cracked...i didnt do PI i just do regular intake mani....<<<regrets it

its ok, just let it all out, u will know better for next time... :D

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeh I wish i woulda just took it back when he told me that, (Go figure the weather gets nice finally). But hes probably already about got that done. However when he calls me with some more bs, i'll tell him i'll do the rest of the work myself. And that way i'll atleast have a better heads up on the diagnostigic from them.

All i really wanted them to do was put in new o2 sensors and tell me why the coolant wasnt circulating. so hopefully he will call me back with why its not circulating. From reading the haynes manual, changing a fan/radiator/waterpump seems pretty easy so i believe i can handle all of that stuff.

·
Registered
962 Posts
just turning wrenches... its never really hard, just time consuming, and the amount of experience you have will make a difference... im confident in you though.

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
my dad never touched a mod motor in his life and knows nothing about these new engines he only knows the pushrods and he changed my intake in under 2 hours.....

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
Dude, he robbed you on that intake!!! You can get a new one for under 200 bucks. In fact, Livernois motorsports sells a modified PI intake kit complete with everything you need to install a PI intake on a non PI motor for$499.00, and it includes the modified pi intake. Ask your mechanic for some KY dude, cause he stuck you HARD!!!!!

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
my dad never touched a mod motor in his life and knows nothing about these new engines he only knows the pushrods and he changed my intake in under 2 hours.....
changing an intake isn't that dif from pushrod-modular

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nah, i went to the shop today and told him to cancel everything and i would do the work myself.

I get the car home

The intake manifold isnt even cracked, it's just got a small leak at the very back left side (if facing engine). and only leaks if the car overheats.

I'm gonna switch over to the PI intake tho, Basically gonna do as much stuff as i can with my march money
i've dedicated march to the mustang =]

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
ya i had to do the same thing .. my Intake manifold cracked and got it replaced with a aluminum crossover and seemed to fix the problem

·
Registered
189 Posts
Having been an auto tech for the past 12 years, unless you know someone who is a tech or can do the work yourself, be very careful who you let do work on your car/truck these days. People (shops) will rip you off without batting an eye! Fortunately I have been lucky not to work at a place that does that to people! Intakes are an easy thing to do, just pay attention to where and how it comes off and it will go smoothly...just go easy on the beers!!:eek:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeh im not even half way worried bout swappin a pi intake on, i'd do heads/cams but the timeing chain worries me on those i dont quite understand it yet gotta research it more.

im not really scared to go hands on with something

aslong as u just label everything and keep up with all the screws to each part etc

everytime i take something off my motor i lay it down on a tarp and put the baggy that contains the screw for that specific piece beside it so putting everything back on is a breeze.

and yeh the timeing chain is the only thing that stops me from attempting the full pi swap. and i believe u gotta go get it dynoed after a head/cam upgrade so i wanna wait till i got more upgrades till i have to pay the high prices of a dyno

·
Registered
189 Posts
+1 on the dyno...it's time for me to hit the dyno, but like you said....a funny thing called $$$ is needed! Maybe I could go and shake my:bootyand get it for free!!!:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts