Modded Mustang Forums banner

Overheating

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  obake 
#1 ·
I know im posting a ton of help me threads lately but I feel like my cars gonna get seriously damaged or leave me stranded somewhere.

Okay now when im drving around town for the first 15 minutes everything is fine. then after that my temp gauge starts to spike up at an alarming rate if I'm driving at city speeds up to 40 mph. then when i get onto the highway it goes almost immediately back down cold on the temp gauge.

When i park it after driving back from school sometimes the radiator outlet hose is leaking steam and drops of water.

Now i recently had a freeze plug let go on me. Is it possible that another one has given up as well, or is it something like the water pump?

#2 ·
I would start off by changing your thermostat, around $5. You could also try flushing your cooling system and adding new coolant for under $15. Then if those don't work you could add a fan shroud if you don't already have one. You could add an electric fan as a pusher or puller, many of them come with shrouds for $60-$100. I am sure there is more you can do but these would be the ones I would try first because of the price. I put a larger engine in my 65, I went from a 200 il6 to a 351w v8. I had to buy an all new radiator which cost over $200

#5 ·
I have not heard of this befor. I run the same one in my car all year. I run a 160 because I like my coolent to stay cool. I guess you could go to a 195 or 210 in the winter and have a hotter heater... Really I don't know why you would need to change tho.

#7 ·
what you have going on is low air move ment. you need more fan or more radaitor.

when highway speed cools it off, your cooling system is working with alot of air flow.

but at low speeds your fan is not moving enough air to let your radiator work properly.

More fan/more Radiator 1 with help both will make it work great.

We use a 160 in all of our cars. Stock was a 180.

#9 ·
Do you mean a bigger fan size or is there a way to increase the speed? (Sorry I'm not that well educated in this kind of thing I must seem kind of stupid asking this. ) Also what do you mean by more radiator? A larger one with more cells?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.