Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any idea whether this is easily fixable or not? Anything I can do to or products to try to atleast lessen its appearance?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
In the light it's extremely obvious, as you can tell in the pics, but at night it's harldy visible.
Any particular things that cause this to happen? I wash it every weekend. and re-wax monthly and I use meguiar's deep crystal wash and meguiar's next generation wax.

·
I Want A Good Speed Raping
13,304 Posts
I have the same question as Winnie Why does this happen and what can u do to prevent it. Also what is oxidation.

What i do know is the only way to "fix" it is to get it repainted it happened to my friends car and thats what people told him.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hm. so far I have an ugly stock hood that is slowly changing colors, and I have the Windstar upper installed that almost touches the hood. Sounds like I should get a new hood. If only I had the money. DAMN!

·
13,304 Posts
Well i dont know about that, this is coming from somebody who doesn't know much about cars but if u look at your first pic it looks like your front quarter panel may start doing the same thing as your hood is doing. i looks like the sides of the hood and your hood has already started doing it. idk tho just an observation from a person new to cars.

U may just wanna get your car a nice primer, then paint, and then a clear coat put on your car to try and prevent it from happening again.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Na, the quarter panels are fine. The car is just dirty and needs a good washing. I'm gonna go rumage through my cleaning supplies and see what I can find to atleast diminish the appearance of it. I think it just looks this bad b/c its been sitting in my mechanics lot waiting to be working on since May. His lot is gravel and I was in Hawaii for two months so who knows what all **** has accumulated on it.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Dude, sorry to say this but that thing is too far gone. You're clear coat is completely gone. You need to repaint your hood. It's beyond oxidized.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
yup clear coat failure. maybe a previous owner didn't take care of it.

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
that did not happen over night dude.

but take advantage of it and get a sweet aftermarket hood

·
13,304 Posts
"The car is just dirty and needs a good washing. its been sitting in my mechanics lot waiting to be working on since May."

That would be why the quarter panels look like it would do the same thing as the hood. Go get it clean. lol

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
You could do some serious good with a professional polish and buffer. It might not get rid of all of it but it'll help out.

Before people start saying its too far gone.

That Mercedes had the same problem.

·
13,304 Posts
Wax isn't a permanent solution tho is it i mean it might last for a while but u will have to keep paying for it to get waxed every so often. With a new paint job (good one not a crappy one) u shouldn't get this to happen for a realy long time with the paint they use on cars now a days and a good clear coat will help protect it farther then u can just use turtle wax and wax it yourself.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't think anyone is saying get it waxed. He's referring to getting it buffed and polished which are two completely different things than wax.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
No wax on this planet will fix that dude... No buffer will fix that. Trust me. Somebody has let the clearcoat completely oxidize and that has eaten through the clearcoat causing paint failure. Regardless of what you do to try to fix it, it would need a new clearcoat and some fresh paint. Hell, if you take a sander to that hood with 200 grit and get a nice EVEN sanding down, get the hood repainted, recleared; itd look great. But a shop would take care of the stripping...

This is a prime example of paint failure. Only way to prevent it in the long run is to always keep a coat of sealant and wax on it. The sealant offers the best UV ray protection.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I used some Meg's #1, to work down the roughness, then #9, and followed up with some ColorX, which did bring out the color a little more. Then used #21 to seal it, and Nxt gen techwax 2.0. So at least now there is some protection until I can get it repainted.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'd agree that a previous owner didnt take very good care of it. Or possibly its been repainted by a previous owner and it just wasnt done very well, and even though you wash and wax often, the paint was just doomed since the beginning. Even if you DO buff out some really badly oxidized paint, it wont stay shiny, it will still eventually fade again. You'd be much better off just getting a new hood, or that one re-painted. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts