Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So having a bit of a head scratcher and was hoping for some insight here, I have a 02 mustang v2 supercharged using a division X stryker fuel pump and a JMS BAP. I have been running this setup for about a year and a half. I was sitting at a red light when the car started falling flat on its face, pulled into a parking lot but had to restart the car multiple times because it kept dying out. I could get to start but as soon as I would put a load on it or let it idle for more than a minute it would stall out. Scanned for codes and came up with a P0190, was able to locate another sensor locally, non motorcraft part. Swapped it out issue seemed to be resolved, took it for a spin anything above 4k RPM she would cut out, now I drove through a little bit of a rain storm before hand but it dried up figured maybe I sucked up some water no biggie. Other than it cutting out seemed to be driving just fine.

Next day take for a spin with the new sensor and P0190 again and shes loosing pressure under load especially 3rd gear and up. sinking down to 10psi and lower at anything above 3K RPM using my phone and a OBDII blue tooth dongle. Limped it home let it sit.

Next day I sit in the car and I always listen for the pump to prime with the key on the run position but this time its priming super slow like 3 seconds and also a different pitch to the whine, I assumed the pump was going south, so then I tried a couple more times and nothing couldn't get the pump to whine at all and or the engine to start.

Dropped the tank today put 12v directly to the pump and it kicks on no problem every single time. I thought it maybe the relay in the passenger kick panel but if I put my ear to it I can hear the relays clicking. Should I still rule out a bad pump or is this something else? Maybe the BAP is causing a weird issue? but the BAP uses a hobbs switch which doesnt kick on until 3-4psi

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Does the FPDM see 12V also? Sounds like you need trace back from the pump. Somewhere the volts are dropping, just need to figure out where.

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the FPDM see 12V also? Sounds like you need trace back from the pump. Somewhere the volts are dropping, just need to figure out where.
I haven't checked the FPDM voltage yet but from what I read it shouldn't be above 10.5V? I'll look at that later today, also I did some more diagnosing and I filled my gas tank up a bit more and recorded how the pump was running with 12V going to it, not sure if it's running as intended? I have a disk cobra pump assembly in going throw in later today and do some comparing, Here's a video https://youtu.be/QPxzwpSfOcs

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
That sure doesn't sound good...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I have that same pump with a Vortech BAP and im at 70% duty cycle at 440w/400t at 6300 RPM.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
That's awesome, I'm even more sold now. Does that pump have a Pprv?
No it does not. At least I don't remember one being on there. It was more than a year ago when I bought and installed it.

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Yeah pump for sure. I think you will be happy with the Walbro. I’ve ran mine for awhile.

Reactions: MineralGreyGT

·
Registered
750 Posts
Quick question,

Did u open the tank up and inspect the lines?
I use to get that code, once was a split fuel line from pump to hat and the other 2 times it was one fuel line popped off one of the pumps. I am using 2 TRE340 pumps. All 3 times I got PO190 and car hardly wouldn't idle or wouldn't take any kind of load.

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quick question,

Did u open the tank up and inspect the lines?
I use to get that code, once was a split fuel line from pump to hat and the other 2 times it was one fuel line popped off one of the pumps. I am using 2 TRE340 pumps. All 3 times I got PO190 and car hardly wouldn't idle or wouldn't take any kind of load.
Yes the line itself was fine I had a slight leak at the nipple of the pump and the fuel injectors clamp was maxed out, but even with that slight leak I wouldn't expect the pump to cut in and out like it was and it has pressure initially but then it drops out and just trickles the fuel out, as you can see in the video. It's like a leakey garden hose even if you have a leak at the fittings you still get lots of pressure and a steady flow at the handle.

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well initial impression, bang for buck this is hands down an awesome setup. Car feels faster than it was lol, 80% DC @6200rpm with 20% over driven with the Bap, so pretty impressive. Best part about was I didn't have to cut baskets drill holes come up with lines it just dropped in, driving it this weekend let's se how she holds up.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Well initial impression, bang for buck this is hands down an awesome setup. Car feels faster than it was lol, 80% DC @6200rpm with 20% over driven with the Bap, so pretty impressive. Best part about was I didn't have to cut baskets drill holes come up with lines it just dropped in, driving it this weekend let's se how she holds up.
Let me know if you have the same issue I do with this pump....

When I'm WOT and I shift really fast from 3rd to 4th, I will let off and get right back on it but there is a definite hesitation going into 4th. It's like an adrupt cut out an then its fine again...Again, I do let off the throttle but it's like the fuel system loses pressure and has a delay in getting it back. It feels and sounds like the issues that the Cobra guys have with the PPRV (so they delete it) but, like I mentioned above, I didn't think this pump had a PPRV...maybe it does still but it sure doesn't look like it.

Otherwise I'm guessing it's a tuning issue that my tuner could fix if I logged it for him...

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let me know if you have the same issue I do with this pump....

When I'm WOT and I shift really fast from 3rd to 4th, I will let off and get right back on it but there is a definite hesitation going into 4th. It's like an adrupt cut out an then its fine again...Again, I do let off the throttle but it's like the fuel system loses pressure and has a delay in getting it back. It feels and sounds like the issues that the Cobra guys have with the PPRV (so they delete it) but, like I mentioned above, I didn't think this pump had a PPRV...maybe it does still but it sure doesn't look like it.

Otherwise I'm guessing it's a tuning issue that my tuner could fix if I logged it for him...
Hmm I tried from 2nd to 3rd seemed fine I'm try 3rd to 4th even if it does I usually no lift shift so I probably won't mind it.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Where is your DC at with just the pump?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts