Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello stangs peeps,
i was on the freeway the other day and i was going about 70mph with an rpm of about 2000. All of a sudden my rpms dropped and came back up and the "service engine soon" light came on. So i plugged it in to an obd2 reader and the code p032 came up with a discription of "ingnition/distributor engine speed input circuit" so the car runs fine but once in a while the rpms drop and go normal.

i have no idea where to start from here, and i like working on my car before mechanics even touch a finger on it, so do you guys have any suggestions before i start dumping money on unecessary parts?
thank you

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
It's P0320, they are always P and 4-digits.

This can be an indication of a bad crankshaft position (CKP) sensor, although it is sometimes triggered by a failing generator--they can get electrically "noisy" when the brushes near the end of their life, and interfere with the CKP signal...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cliffy, thanks for the advice but, i replaced to cpk sensor and still the same thing happened, i just replaced my alternator not too long ago.....so now what route should i take?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Here's the full scoop on what the shop manual says about P0320.

I would next pull the COPs and inspect the boots for signs of arcing--dis-colourisation, burnt smell, etc. Also make sure the air-gap capacitors on the front top of the cam covers are connected and not damaged...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot,
And one more thing, do i have to reset the cpk sensor somehow? Sounds like a dumb question but just wondering

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Thanks a lot,
And one more thing, do i have to reset the cpk sensor somehow? Sounds like a dumb question but just wondering
No--however you may want to reset the codes/SES lamp, and then check the codes again if/when it comes back on...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cliffy, so replaced the cpk sensor, and i was on the freeway today and it did the same thing again BUT no check engine light, so im thinking the cpk sensor i bought might be bad? i bought it at auto zone

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Have you pulled the COPs and checked the boots yet? I would pull the plugs and inspet them as well--when were the plugs last changed, what brand/model are they?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AHHHHHHHHHH so this is what i have done so far,
changed spark plugs
changed coil packs
changed tps
and im still getting the same symptoms, could it be my cats or o2 sensors? or possibly my computer?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Have you checked for "Loose wires/connectors", the first thing on the list?

An intermittent connection anywhere in the power to the PCM, or critical sensors powered separately from the PCM, could cause the problems you have experienced.

Where we are now is that we have moved far beyond what can be reasonably expected to be diagnosed via forum postings--you need to get a shop manual and work the "symptoms" chart(s) from the top down, or get it to someone who can...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yahhhhooooooooooooo!!!!!
okay cliffy so after replacement of a lot of things, It turned out it was my crankshaft position sensor. thanks for the help tho

1 - 11 of 11 Posts