Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced my clutch on my car and while I had my stock y pipe off I had a friend fix and exhaust leak I had. The leak was caused by a crack going 3/4 of the way around my pipe just after the upstream o2 sensor on the passenger side. I was driving around town and my check engine light came on. I took it to a shop and they said it was a P0420 code and that it was most likely an o2 sensor. My car isn't running funny and the exhaust sounds fine other than a leak I can hear on the drivers side manifold. I just need to know if that sounds like the problem or if I should go to a shop with a better scanner and see if they can pinpoint the problem better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing is is that with the leak I had it never threw a code and they said it was on bank 1 so that's my passenger side

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Check 02 sensors or cats but if it is the cat then you have bigger problems.

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
As said it could be a number of things.

Clean your MAF, replace your upstream O2 sensor, check for exhaust leaks, check for vacuum leaks (smoke test), check/ replace your cat.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
How can I check my cat?
Does your car smell like a lawnmower? What you will have to do is look inside the cat directly and if there is anything clogging it up you need a new engine... But the downstream o2 sensors arnt that much if I remember correctly. Main thing is your cats should last the life of the car and if they dont somethings wrong.....again should last the same as the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No my car doesnt have a smell to it or run funny or anything same gas mileage and everything and it's there a way to test the sensors to see if they are bad?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
No my car doesnt have a smell to it or run funny or anything same gas mileage and everything and it's there a way to test the sensors to see if they are bad?
Not that im aware off. Honestly if it runs good and dosent smell bad then just replace the downstream o2 sensor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts