Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I Have A FLATULENT Butthole.
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check engine light came on on the way to work. Code is P0430 catalyst system efficiency below threshold (bank 2).

I have my rear O2's turned off so I assume this is probably my front O2 on the passenger side. Can anyone confirm that? Stuck at work so I can't let look into it yet. Posting this from the pooper LOL.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
Its a rear o2 sensor code, they are the only ones that "sense" the catalyst system efficiency.
Bank 2 should be passenger side IIRC

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hm. So should I be calling AM to figure out why my tune isn't turning then off?

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
Have you received a recent retune?
Last I heard, they aren't allowed to turn them off anymore, unless you had purchased your tunes prior to some date that was over a year ago.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you received a recent retune?
Last I heard, they aren't allowed to turn them off anymore, unless you had purchased your tunes prior to some date that was over a year ago.
No I haven't had a tune recently. The current one is from last summer some time. I'll call them and find out if they are turned off. They should be though....

Here are the possible causes and diagnostic tips for P0430, however if they were disabled in the tune you should not be seeing any related DTCs.

Also, bank 2 is the driver's side:

OK thanks. I was under the impression that cylinder 1 side was bank 1. Cylinder two side was bank 2. Obviously by that diagram they are both on the same side so how do you determine which bank is which?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
OK thanks. I was under the impression that cylinder 1 side was bank 1. Cylinder two side was bank 2. Obviously by that diagram they are both on the same side so how do you determine which bank is which?
Umm, by looking at the diagram--in particular the labels "bank 1" and "bank 2" shown in red?

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Umm, by looking at the diagram--in particular the labels "bank 1" and "bank 2" shown in red?

:lol I got that part! I'm referring to a situation where you don't have a diagram in front of you.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
:lol I got that part! I'm referring to a situation where you don't have a diagram in front of you.

There is no standard, especially for "V" engines, each manufacturer uses different nomenclature/designations. Even for a given automaker there is no standard as they often use engines sourced from other manufacturers, and it is not unusual for each design team to have a different way of labeling things.

They only thing you can be relatively sure of is that cylinder 1 will be on the crank pulley end (opposite the crank output end).

Ford labels the front right side (viewed from the driver's seat) cylinder #1 and then numbers then front to rear and then over to the front left side as shown in the diagram I posted above.

GM labels the front left side #1, the front right side #2, next back from the front left as #3, next back on the right #4:

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright I called American Muscle tonight, and the gentleman I talked to said the o2 sensors are turned off in my tune, and the light shouldn't be on. I cleared the code so we will see if it comes back. If it does he said to order a new set of tunes.

Also: I noticed on Cliffy's website that contaminated oil could cause this. I changed my oil the other day and the oil filler cap had a white milky substance on it. I drained the oil and it was clean and didn't have any strange smells so I'm thinking it was just condensation. I borrowed a coworkers compression test kit and will be testing that soon just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
interested in this. I had some 02 simulators in and then started throwing a code like this. thought i just had some old bad simulators. bought some new ones and still to this day I have a check engine light.
would love to see what fixes it

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
interested in this. I had some 02 simulators in and then started throwing a code like this. thought i just had some old bad simulators. bought some new ones and still to this day I have a check engine light.
would love to see what fixes it
What codes are present now?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts