Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
My coolant was leaking from the timing cover, so I replaced the timing cover. Now I am getting an OBDII code P1336 which I wasn't getting earlier. I got the alternator checked at the auto parts store and they said it looked good. Should I replace the crankshaft sensor ? I have read something about it being in sync with camshaft sensor and also it needing some special tools from Ford. Any inputs and advice highly appreciated.

This is for a V6 2003 Mustang

Thanks,

·
Banned
24 Posts
he Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor sends pulses to the PCM as the reluctor wheel teeth rotate past the CKP sensor. The PCM uses the CKP pulses to synchronize the ignition and fuel injector operation, and to time the interval between each CKP pulse. The PCM determines when an excessive change in crankshaft speed occurs by comparing each new time interval with the previous interval. A misfire causes an unexpected change in the crankshaft speed. A certain amount of acceleration/deceleration is expected between each firing stroke Speed Test but if the crankshaft speed changes more than an expected amount, the PCM interprets this as a misfire. The interval between CKP sensor pulses is extremely small. At high engine speeds, slight variations in the following components make misfire detection difficult:
  • Crankshaft
  • Reluctor wheel
  • CKP sensor

1 - 3 of 3 Posts