Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was driving to the airport and was speeding up to pass someone and was at about 5k rpms and something went, I pulled over and it sounds like an exhaust leak so wasnt worrying about it since no check engine light either. Well today after driving about 25 miles since the incident I get a check engine light and I get code P1405 which is "Differential Pressure Feedback Electronic Sensor circuit Upstream Hose" according to the site, on my scanner I got something more like the hose is blocked or broken, I dont remember exactly what it said.

Could this just be caused by the exhaust leak or maybe this caused the exhaust leak? Should I not drive the car til its fixed? anyone have any experience with this error code. I did a search and no one has ever posted about it.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Sounds like you blew a hose off the dpfe sensor or egr line, or blew a hole in the hose. Very simple fix, just be sure to get the proper hose given that is your problem which im pretty sure it is if youre stilling hearing that "airy" exhaust leak noise.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
By the proper hose I mean the high temp stuff from ford. If you try and rig it up with some fuel line or similar youll just blow another hole in the hose in the matter of a few miles due to the heat. If you check the hoses and theyre not blown off the dpfe sensor or egr line, and they dont have holes,cracks,etc chances are the dpfe sensor is shot but as I said im almost certain its gonna be a hose problem due to the noise youre hearing.

The next thing is finding out why the hose blew. If theyre old and rotted out looking thats fine, if it happens again and you still have cats its possible the cats are clogged or starting to get clogged. Particularly on the egr side.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Would sound like an exhaust leak, too.

hmmm...how would an exhaust leak have a negative effect on the dpfe sensor/egr pressure? An exhaust leak would actually help as the egr pressure gets out of wack when you have clogged cats because the exhaust gasses cant escape so they have no other choice but to build pressure in the hoses from the egr line to the dpfe sensor resulting in a blow hose or blown off hose.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what exactly is the dpfe? Im pretty sure its clogged cats, I got these cats off a crashed car with over 100k miles, Just needed them for smog and havent had time to install the new longtubes I picked up. thanks for the help guys, I hopefully will get time monday to look at it, working all weekend.

Is it safe to drive as is? not like to vegas or anything but just a few miles around town.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
It is the DPF EGR sensor, Differential Pressure Feedback EGR sensor, it has two hoses that connect to the EGR tube, upstream and downstream of an orifice through which recirculated exhaust gas travels. It measures the pressure drop across that orifice providing an indication of EGR flow to the PCM.

The code P1405 indicates that the flow through the orifice is reversed (flowing from upstream to downstream) likely because of one of the reasons shown in the possible causes column of the table.

It's not inconceivable that the cats could be causing this, however one would expect there would be other codes indicating the failed cats--and they are pretty much unrelated systems. I'd check the DPF sensor hoses, and the EGR tube first.

It is safe to drive...

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
hmmm...how would an exhaust leak have a negative effect on the dpfe sensor/egr pressure? An exhaust leak would actually help as the egr pressure gets out of wack when you have clogged cats because the exhaust gasses cant escape so they have no other choice but to build pressure in the hoses from the egr line to the dpfe sensor resulting in a blow hose or blown off hose.
No, sorry, I wasn't saying it was an exhaust leak that caused anything. I was saying the egr tube bursting could sound like an exhaust leak. I have never had one burst, but going by what it does, recirculate exhaust gases, I would think it could sound like an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
No, sorry, I wasn't saying it was an exhaust leak that caused anything. I was saying the egr tube bursting could sound like an exhaust leak. I have never had one burst, but going by what it does, recirculate exhaust gases, I would think it could sound like an exhaust leak.
One or both of the DPF sensor's hoses being burst or unconnected would also sound like an exhaust leak--mostly because it would be an exhaust leak...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts