Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use microfiber cutting pads?

Pros/Cons compared to Foam cutting pads.

Also can you use the same compounds on microfiber pads as you can on foam pads?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I use them in my megs da kit and have no complaints used with there d300. I have heard of the others coming apart after awhile. Ive used my megs ones tons of times and they are still like new. One thing i have noticed is you have to clean them very often in between sections. More so than regular pads from my own experience. Hope that helps :).

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
yes you can interchange compounds/polishes but most are designed for foam use
don't go over speed 5 on your GG or I've heard the MF's will start to fall apart as they're designed for speed 5

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
ChrisJ tried the MF thing, i think he liked it but went back to foam

Shook you need to get some Buff n Shine pads before you get crazy with the MF.

Im happy with foam, most of the pros use foam too. I like the versatility and combinations of polish and pad you can do with foam.

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use them in my megs da kit and have no complaints used with there d300. I have heard of the others coming apart after awhile. Ive used my megs ones tons of times and they are still like new. One thing i have noticed is you have to clean them very often in between sections. More so than regular pads from my own experience. Hope that helps :).
I'm assuming all the pads come apart. I know the foam pads do eventually as well. You clean them the same way as you clean foam?

yes you can interchange compounds/polishes but most are designed for foam use
don't go over speed 5 on your GG or I've heard the MF's will start to fall apart as they're designed for speed 5
I didn't know about the speed "issue" with them. That is good to know though.
ChrisJ tried the MF thing, i think he liked it but went back to foam

Shook you need to get some Buff n Shine pads before you get crazy with the MF.

Im happy with foam, most of the pros use foam too. I like the versatility and combinations of polish and pad you can do with foam.
I've used the green and black BnS pads and I loved them man. I don't know if you bought Fixer or not but Fixer is said to be used with open cell foam so the BnS pads should be more effective.

I just didn't know if there was a benefit to MF pads over foam or not. I'm going to buy some Orange and yellow BnS pads next time I order from DC.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
I'm assuming all the pads come apart. I know the foam pads do eventually as well. You clean them the same way as you clean foam?

I didn't know about the speed "issue" with them. That is good to know though.

I've used the green and black BnS pads and I loved them man. I don't know if you bought Fixer or not but Fixer is said to be used with open cell foam so the BnS pads should be more effective.

I just didn't know if there was a benefit to MF pads over foam or not. I'm going to buy some Orange and yellow BnS pads next time I order from DC.
I actually have a 3oz sample of fixer from vader that i got monday, im shipping a 3oz sample of V36 to him tomorrow.

BRO you cannot go wrong with BnS pads, they are cheap, they last a LONG time and they perform, and they come really clean very easy. AND working on edges and curves is a breeze.

I have alot of pads but im going to order up on pads and MFs soon to boost my stock. AA has some great MF bulk packs, nice 16x16 with safe edges for about 2 bucks a piece in a 10pk. These have silk edges and are like 20 bucks for a 10pk with our 10% at AA, Which means a 10pk ships for free
Ultra Soft Microfiber Towel 16" x 16", 10-pk. - Microfiber Products

Im also gonna order some Orange, white and green BnS pads too. I just need more so i dont have to clean as often while im correcting.

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
i buffed out an entire car a couple days ago with a low pro hydrotech, idk why you guys say edges are an issue, I've never had one, don't fear the MF, with MF you have to clean it, a lot, more often than Foam, its very different but microfiber tech should take over and beat out foam from everything I've read, only a matter of time :popcorn

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually have a 3oz sample of fixer from vader that i got monday, im shipping a 3oz sample of V36 to him tomorrow.

BRO you cannot go wrong with BnS pads, they are cheap, they last a LONG time and they perform, and they come really clean very easy. AND working on edges and curves is a breeze.

I have alot of pads but im going to order up on pads and MFs soon to boost my stock. AA has some great MF bulk packs, nice 16x16 with safe edges for about 2 bucks a piece in a 10pk. These have silk edges and are like 20 bucks for a 10pk with our 10% at AA, Which means a 10pk ships for free
Ultra Soft Microfiber Towel 16" x 16", 10-pk. - Microfiber Products

Im also gonna order some Orange, white and green BnS pads too. I just need more so i dont have to clean as often while im correcting.

Very nice man. I think you will love it being your car is already in good shape. I haven't used it with BnS pads but it's meant for that cell structure and 3 oz will go a very long ways.

I have figured out, you can't have too many pads. It's so nice not to have to clean them while working then expecting to use them again.

BnS pads do wash very easy.

You used yellow pads on anything or just orange pads?

That's a good deal on those microfibers, they look nice too.

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i buffed out an entire car a couple days ago with a low pro hydrotech, idk why you guys say edges are an issue, I've never had one, don't fear the MF, with MF you have to clean it, a lot, more often than Foam, its very different but microfiber tech should take over and beat out foam from everything I've read, only a matter of time :popcorn
I keep reading that as well. That it's crazy what it can do and the technology and blah, blah, blah. That's why I asked if they were insanely superior or something.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
Its not that low prof Hydros are bad on edges, its just that the thicker BnS pads are easier lol.

I think MF is cool, i think you can fully correct in 2 steps usually but like you said you have to clean the Pads like EVERY time which IMO is another variable that can lead to inconsistent results. Dont get me wrong i think the MF pads are really innovative but when it comes to easy of use, they dont get a golden star lol.

Very nice man. I think you will love it being your car is already in good shape. I haven't used it with BnS pads but it's meant for that cell structure and 3 oz will go a very long ways.

I have figured out, you can't have too many pads. It's so nice not to have to clean them while working then expecting to use them again.

BnS pads do wash very easy.

You used yellow pads on anything or just orange pads?

That's a good deal on those microfibers, they look nice too.
Yea man im pretty sure fixer will impress. I used V36 on my corolla with a white CG hex pad and got pretty much full correction and a DAMN good finish. CGs white hex pad is about the same as BnS green. So im gonna actually compare Fixer vs V36 on a green pad to see which corrects more and finishes better.

I have 3 yellow pads that i got specifically for an altima i did that had the worse clear coat oxidation ive seen in my life, i took it from FLAT to having an acutal reflection, but it will need to be repainted.

Ive never touched my mach 1 with a yellow pad, first time i corrected it i used M105/Orange to correct everything, then 205/Green, 85RD/Blue.

This time, because my paint defects are very mild, ill be starting with either Fixer or V36 on green, followed by 85rd/Blue. Im also thinking about Glazing before waxing-something i usually dont do.

This coming tuesday im also going to do the FSUPP vs BFWD test :)

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its not that low prof Hydros are bad on edges, its just that the thicker BnS pads are easier lol.

I think MF is cool, i think you can fully correct in 2 steps usually but like you said you have to clean the Pads like EVERY time which IMO is another variable that can lead to inconsistent results. Dont get me wrong i think the MF pads are really innovative but when it comes to easy of use, they dont get a golden star lol.

Yea man im pretty sure fixer will impress. I used V36 on my corolla with a white CG hex pad and got pretty much full correction and a DAMN good finish. CGs white hex pad is about the same as BnS green. So im gonna actually compare Fixer vs V36 on a green pad to see which corrects more and finishes better.

I have 3 yellow pads that i got specifically for an altima i did that had the worse clear coat oxidation ive seen in my life, i took it from FLAT to having an acutal reflection, but it will need to be repainted.

Ive never touched my mach 1 with a yellow pad, first time i corrected it i used M105/Orange to correct everything, then 205/Green, 85RD/Blue.

This time, because my paint defects are very mild, ill be starting with either Fixer or V36 on green, followed by 85rd/Blue. Im also thinking about Glazing before waxing-something i usually dont do.

This coming tuesday im also going to do the FSUPP vs BFWD test :)
Nice! Looking forward to that. I might pick up some yellow pads to work on my dads car. Eventually I'll show you guys a picture of what he did :facepalm . . . I'm hoping I can get it off the clearcoat but I don't think I can.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
Nice! Looking forward to that. I might pick up some yellow pads to work on my dads car. Eventually I'll show you guys a picture of what he did :facepalm . . . I'm hoping I can get it off the clearcoat but I don't think I can.
Theres always wetsanding! lol

try 105 and a yellow pad about 3 times lol, if it doesnt come off then, its probably not coming off.

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let's just say he took a brillow type pad lightly to it :facepalm

He was so upset after he did it. . . He's not into detailing or anything but he loves his car to be clean.

I'm hoping to get a body part from a junk yard here pretty soon to practice wet sanding and bringing it back on. Easy way to learn something cheap lol.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
Let's just say he took a brillow type pad lightly to it :facepalm

He was so upset after he did it. . . He's not into detailing or anything but he loves his car to be clean.

I'm hoping to get a body part from a junk yard here pretty soon to practice wet sanding and bringing it back on. Easy way to learn something cheap lol.
Oh dude you can probably compound that out, once you see what 1500 grit does to paint and then see 105 fix it in 2 seconds, youll have more confidence in fixing your dads ride.

Thats a good idea btw, the junkyard piece, great idea actually.....im gonna do that.

·
RIP Dennis
76,434 Posts
I like the MF kit but it always needs to be followed with a micropolish and foam as it will never finish down as good as foamies

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh dude you can probably compound that out, once you see what 1500 grit does to paint and then see 105 fix it in 2 seconds, youll have more confidence in fixing your dads ride.

Thats a good idea btw, the junkyard piece, great idea actually.....im gonna do that.
That's true maybe i'll get lucky.

I'm not about to f up all the hard work I just got done doing on my car, lol. I have wetsanded before but it was to paint not to polish so we shall see. My grandpa used to own a body shop and him and my grandma go to Texas for the winters so I might see if I can't use some of his stuff. I think he has a paint/clearcoat measuring tool too.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Love the megs MF cutting pads. been using them alot as my main compounding pad. They hold up extremely well and cut very good. They also play well with compounds other then the Megs. I am just not a fan of the polishing pads on soft black paint. they do not finish down anywhere near what a good foam pad can they will leave tick marks and slight micromarring on the paint. Couldnt use them with my old GT but now with the subaru paint the Polishing pads work very well on it. I rarely ever use the megs compound. I have been using Menz or Fixer in the MF pads lately

1 - 20 of 23 Posts