Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Painting the car HOPFULLY, and wanted to know how much just the Paint costs, doing all the work myself btw, doing a gun metal gray, and open to suggestions

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Spray gun, compressor, gallon or two of paint, tons of sandpaper, primer, polisher, painters masking tape, plus disassembly.....it's a pain in the ass and takes alot of work. I'd say minimum $800 if you cheap out.

·
Banned
3,511 Posts
I have a professional painter going to do my car for $600 and he does a really nice job. It'll certainly look better than my spraybomb job :lol

By the time you buy all the materials and supplies to do it right and do it well, a shop that already has that stuff can do a better job cheaper. So unless you're really good at laying paint and you can do a showcar worthy job of it or if you're going to start painting cars as a side job, those are my $0.02.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm contemplating painting my 99, I'm experienced in body work but not painting. Been researching for a couple weeks now. I have everything to do the job except a gun and paint. Paint looks to run anywhere from $50-thousands. Seems to me to get a "factory quality" finish/paint would be $200-$300 in paint alone. I'm looking to add paint to my skillset mainly.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
I'm contemplating painting my 99, I'm experienced in body work but not painting. Been researching for a couple weeks now. I have everything to do the job except a gun and paint. Paint looks to run anywhere from $50-thousands. Seems to me to get a "factory quality" finish/paint would be $200-$300 in paint alone. I'm looking to add paint to my skillset mainly.
If you've got everything besides the paint and gun, go for it. A nice paint gun can be had for under $200
(Travis -rip- had a thread somewhere around here with tons of info for people new to painting).

Edit: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/visual/131616-little-paint-theory.html

·
Registered
168 Posts
Spray gun, compressor, gallon or two of paint, tons of sandpaper, primer, polisher, painters masking tape, plus disassembly.....it's a pain in the ass and takes alot of work. I'd say minimum $800 if you cheap out.
iv got all that i work in a paint shop, and done a few cars already but im not sure of how paint prices vary

I have a professional painter going to do my car for $600 and he does a really nice job. It'll certainly look better than my spraybomb job :lol

By the time you buy all the materials and supplies to do it right and do it well, a shop that already has that stuff can do a better job cheaper. So unless you're really good at laying paint and you can do a showcar worthy job of it or if you're going to start painting cars as a side job, those are my $0.02.
im a very good painter, im not bragging im just stating that im very capable, just wanted color ideas and prices JUST for the paint

thanks sounds legit!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts