Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a strong hunch that at some part in my car's lifetime, she must have been repainted in some areas. While from a distance, and to the normal bystander, my car looks fine/good. But when examining the paint, you can tell their is a difference.

My front bumper, hood, driver's side fender, and driver's side door, all look great, and a tad more vibrant than the rest of the car. The rest looks faded.

This car is my first car, and i am very happy with it, but still, i would love to fix this issue. I do not have the funds to repaint the car, so i was wondering if there are any products and detailing substances that would allow the restoration of my paint.

here are some pictures of the "damage"
(direct sunlight really brings out the difference)

(Difference from the hood and bumper to the passenger side fender)

(The sun light is not my friend... :()

As you can see the difference between the passenger side fender and the hood is pretty damn noticeable

(Difference between the driver's side door and the rear panel)

Yet, the passenger side blends flows better with the rest of the car because it is uniformally faded, and does not really have a vibrant panel it is sticking out against

(The rear of the car seems fine, because it is also uniformly faded... Except on the top of the trunk and roof, there are some faded line-ish shapes.)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Also, on a side note; my car also has some other paint flaws that i was wondering if they could be fixed...

(White spots on front bumper, that can not be clayed/washed off... I think they may be small microcracks in the paint itself)

(Incredibly faded tops of side scoops. Barely any red left; more of just whitish paint with a tint of red)

and finally just some bad paint correction

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
I can definitely help you out by recommending products and tools needed to get your ride looking alot better, but you first need to let me know how much your looking to spend on this once we clear that up then I can help you further. The right side, side scoop might not be salvageable it seems like the clear coat has oxidized badly and if polished will fail completely, you can try polishing if it fails you will have to get it re painted. Also do you use any protection on the vehicle at all? Meaning do you apply a wax or sealant to it and how often? I know you stated you have clayed but it seems to me like the mustang has not been properly cared for in a long time.

On a side not PM me where you got your fogs HID's and how much they were:)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I can definitely help you out by recommending products and tools needed to get your ride looking alot better, but you first need to let me know how much your looking to spend on this once we clear that up then I can help you further. The right side, side scoop might not be salvageable it seems like the clear coat has oxidized badly and if polished will fail completely, you can try polishing if it fails you will have to get it re painted. Also do you use any protection on the vehicle at all? Meaning do you apply a wax or sealant to it and how often? I know you stated you have clayed but it seems to me like the mustang has not been properly cared for in a long time.

On a side not PM me where you got your fogs HID's and how much they were:)
Well, money wise, i CAN save up a bit of cash, but it might take me some time to accumulate it. Im still in high school with no job at the moment, and school athletics and academics take up much of my free time, keeping me away from getting a steady income of cash.

And honestly, i dont know even really know a ballpark range of how much id be needing to spend on this. Obviously id want to do it for dirt cheap, but i understand you've got to pay to play sometimes. That being said, as of right now, i dont even have a polisher and hardly any other detailing products compared to those members i typically see on the Detail Forum, that i can almost guarantee i'll need to restore this paint of mine. Ive been wanting to start to get in the whole detailing game, but i just need some money to get there. Once i do, i was thinking id start off with the Porter cable 7424xp, 7424xp, Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher, Porter Cable polisher, car polisher, buffer, sander-polisher, as many of you guys recommended (with a beginner kit as well)

I (MYSELF) have used protection on this car. Since, we purchased it, i have maintained it to my best ability, washing her every week to 2 weeks (depending on the weather) and waxing her every 3-4 months. But like i said, since we've purchased it... The old family jeep broke down last year and i needed a new form of transportation, so we picked her up last late may/early july. At the time of purchasing her, i was aware of some minor fading issues, but they didnt look so bad then (even though in reality it looked the same). Plus we got her for a damn good deal, as she only had 32,000 miles, clean title, no "registered" accidents (bastard probably got hit and did the fixes under the table now that ive thought about it :mad:) all for $5-ish grand. Now that the car is my own, I (as we all do) criticize and view my car more harshly.

I remember the owner saying that the car was actually his sons who was on tour in Europe, therefore the car had been sitting around (probably outside) locally for a while, probably leading to the neglect of the paint.

As for the HID's, PM sent! :cool:

·
RIP Dennis
76,434 Posts
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/general-car-care-detailing/210770-help-me-make-order.html

My personal preference...

Porter Cable 7427XP
Porter Cable 7424 & Foam Pad Kit - Car Buffer Porter Cable 7424XP & Pad Kit FREE BONUS

That takes care of the buffer, pads, backing plate and some other goodies

Car Wash
Glossworkz-AUTO WASH -Gloss Booster and Paintwork Cleanser ( 1 Gal)

Grit Guards
The Grit Guard, grit guard insert, bucket grate, car wash bucket grid,

Good Wash Mit
Sheepskin Wash Mitt

For Rims/Tires
SONAX Wheel Cleaner, all wheel cleaner, chrome wheel cleaner, aluminum wheel cleaner, full effect wheel cleaner

Clay Bar
Automotive Clay Bar Overspray Eraser Bar

Optimum HyperCompound (Doubt You need this on a new car)
Optimum Hyper Compound Spray

Optimum HyperPolish
Optimum Hyper Polish Spray, Optimum spray polish, hyper spray polish, Optimum car polishes

CG Blacklight and CG V7
Detailers Radiant Finish Kit - In order to deliver the most vibrant and radiant of finishes you will need the right tools.

Top it with Autoglym HD...If your lucky walmart has it on sale for $20...Its regularly $50...See if you can find it...If not I will track some down for you...

Then for upkeep use
CG Prodetailer
Automotive Detail Quick Detail Spray and Clay Lube

For Interior
303 Aerospace Protectant
303 Aerospace Protectant 32 oz

Leather
Zaino Z-9
Z-9 Leather Soft Spray Cleaner: Zaino Store

Zaino Z-10
Z-10 Leather in a Bottle: Zaino Store

I have these for my car but with pleather it won't do much good...

Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil - 16 oz | Detailed Image

Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil - 32 oz | Detailed Image

Also invest in some GOOD microfiber towels...These are the ones I have...
microfiber, microfiber towels, car care products, auto detailing, house cleaning, micro-restore, micro restore, df towels, microfiber

OR

I have just bought the Meguiars DA Correction System and have not yet had a chance to use it...It is however getting rave reviews and is priced right as well...

With that system you would want to do this:

Porter Cable 7427XP
Porter cable 7424xp, 7424xp, Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher, Porter Cable polisher, car polisher, buffer, sander-polisher

That takes care of the buffer, pads, backing plate and some other goodies

Car Wash
Glossworkz-AUTO WASH -Gloss Booster and Paintwork Cleanser ( 1 Gal)

Grit Guards
The Grit Guard, grit guard insert, bucket grate, car wash bucket grid,

Good Wash Mit
Sheepskin Wash Mitt

For Rims/Tires
SONAX Wheel Cleaner, all wheel cleaner, chrome wheel cleaner, aluminum wheel cleaner, full effect wheel cleaner

Clay Bar
Automotive Clay Bar Overspray Eraser Bar

Meguiars DA Correction System
Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit, paint correction kit, dual action polishing kit

CG Blacklight and CG V7
Detailers Radiant Finish Kit - In order to deliver the most vibrant and radiant of finishes you will need the right tools.

Top it with Autoglym HD...If your lucky walmart has it on sale for $20...Its regularly $50...See if you can find it...If not I will track some down for you...

Then for upkeep use
CG Prodetailer
Automotive Detail Quick Detail Spray and Clay Lube

For Interior
303 Aerospace Protectant
303 Aerospace Protectant 32 oz

Leather
Zaino Z-9
Z-9 Leather Soft Spray Cleaner: Zaino Store

Zaino Z-10
Z-10 Leather in a Bottle: Zaino Store

I have these for my car but with pleather it won't do much good...

Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil - 16 oz | Detailed Image

Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil - 32 oz | Detailed Image

Also invest in some GOOD microfiber towels...These are the ones I have...
microfiber, microfiber towels, car care products, auto detailing, house cleaning, micro-restore, micro restore, df towels, microfiber

Reactions: Spurred Snake

·
Registered
5,175 Posts

·
RIP Dennis
76,434 Posts

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
You can go that route as well...Good info Danny
Thanks Chris, he would still need to choose his polishes and a 1000 watt halogen tripod but other than that he is set:)

·
RIP Dennis
76,434 Posts
Thanks Chris, he would still need to choose his polishes and a 1000 watt halogen tripod but other than that he is set:)
I put the polishes and such I use...

Maybe we should make a "Intro Package" together for new people?

Lets chat about this via PM and get this ish set...

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey guys, so while id love to buy everything you all have listed so far, but i just dont/wont have that money realistically for a LONG time.

IF you had to give me a shortened list of the products needed to restore the faded paint. What would it be?

I understand that every product has its purpose, and honestly, i doubt ill even be tackling this project for a while, but i still ponder every damn day... haha

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Well you could try out this it should help makes a difference

Meguiars Ultimate compound autozone
Meguiars Ultimate polish autozone
Autoglym HD look for it at walmart or pepboys its on sale and will be between $15 to $25 this is a great hybrid wax and is worth $50
CCS hand polishing pads at autogeek
CG microfiber 12 pack at CG

or

I like this combo because the results that yelo got were damn good for hand application maybe a mod can put yelo's detail in the detailing sticky since its a good one for those who want to do some minor correction work by hand. Check out his thread its linked below.

Meguiars # 9 swirl remover at autozone/ pepboys/ or oreilly auto
Meguiars # 7 Show car glaze at autozone/ pepboys/ or oreilly auto
Autoglym HD look for it at walmart or pepboys its on sale and will be between $15 to $25 this is a great hybrid wax and is worth $50

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/general-car-care-detailing/163750-poor-lazy-mans-detailing-finally-done-more-less.html

CCS Euro Foam Hand Applicators Trio

Orange pad for Megs UC or Megs # 9, White pad for Megs UP or Megs #7, Red pad for Autoglym HD or use the Red autoglym applicator pad its the same but pre moistened to make AG HD easy to apply

To keep up your microfiber towels wash with Tide Free and Gentle or CG microfiber detergent (depending on the load size) of this use a warm setting with a second rinse cycle and then dry on medium to low heat with no softeners or dryer sheets. Then fold and store them in a clean area or in plastic storage containers.

Best Cleaner for Microfiber

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well you could try out this it should help makes a difference

Meguiars Ultimate compound autozone
Meguiars Ultimate polish autozone

or

I like this combo because the results that yelo got were damn good for hand application maybe a mod can put yelo's detail in the detailing sticky since its a good one for those who want to do some minor correction work by hand. Check out his thread its linked below.

Meguiars # 9 swirl remover at autozone/ pepboys/ or oreilly auto
Meguiars # 7 Show car glaze at autozone/ pepboys/ or oreilly auto

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/general-car-care-detailing/163750-poor-lazy-mans-detailing-finally-done-more-less.html

CCS Euro Foam Hand Applicators Trio

Orange pad for Megs UC or Megs # 9, White pad for Megs UP or Megs #7, Red pad for Autoglym HD or use the Red autoglym applicator pad its the same but pre moistened to make AG HD easy to apply

To keep up your microfiber towels wash with Tide Free and Gentle or CG microfiber detergent (depending on the load size) of this use a warm setting with a second rinse cycle and then dry on medium to low heat with no softeners or dryer sheets. Then fold and store them in a clean area or in plastic storage containers.

Best Cleaner for Microfiber
I already have the Meguiars Ultimate Compound,
and ive definitely seen that wax at walmart. Ill have to go pick some up. (im using NXT 2.0 right now)

Thanks for the links though, and all the help youve given me so far

let me know if we could help you out.
do you have some of the products the others have listed by any chance?

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
I already have the Meguiars Ultimate Compound,
and ive definitely seen that wax at walmart. Ill have to go pick some up. (im using NXT 2.0 right now)

Thanks for the links though, and all the help youve given me so far

do you have some of the products the others have listed by any chance?
No problem man Phil at Detailers Domain also carries alot of top notch products and tools, so when you get a chance take a look at his site he also offers us members a 10% discount on most items even if they are already on sale :)

Detailers Domain - Home

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so this weekend, i think im going to be washing the car, and giving her a little detail (clay and wax)

since i want to restore some of this faded paint, i was thinking of also trying out some of Megiuars ultimate compound. Except i dont have a polisher/ buffer so id be applying this stuff by hand... Anyway, Should i just apply the ultimate compound after i wash and clay? then after the compound, wax?

and just to provide some comfort to me... This compound cant damage my paint at all can it?

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
so this weekend, i think im going to be washing the car, and giving her a little detail (clay and wax)

since i want to restore some of this faded paint, i was thinking of also trying out some of Megiuars ultimate compound. Except i dont have a polisher/ buffer so id be applying this stuff by hand... Anyway, Should i just apply the ultimate compound after i wash and clay? then after the compound, wax?

and just to provide some comfort to me... This compound cant damage my paint at all can it?
Hey man yes you can apply it by hand I still suggest you do one of the options in my post #13 at least get the ccs hand pads they are worth the $10 dollars because a regular foam or microfiber pad you get anywhere else locally wont do a good job. Plus you can get ultimate polish or the other meguiars products over the counter. It wont mess up the paint as long as you use a good applicator if you use cheap or old and dirty applicators your going to have problems. Also make sure you dont get any on your trim if you do it will stain it, but it can be removed with, a diluted apc like Zep citrus, pink eraser, peanut butter (yes non chunky its not a typo), magic eraser. So make sure you tape up your trim with 3M automotive masking tape

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey man yes you can apply it by hand I still suggest you do one of the options in my post #13 at least get the ccs hand pads they are worth the $10 dollars because a regular foam or microfiber pad you get anywhere else locally wont do a good job. Plus you can get ultimate polish or the other meguiars products over the counter. It wont mess up the paint as long as you use a good applicator if you use cheap or old and dirty applicators your going to have problems. Also make sure you dont get any on your trim if you do it will stain it, but it can be removed with, a diluted apc like Zep citrus, pink eraser, peanut butter (yes non chunky its not a typo), magic eraser. So make sure you tape up your trim with 3M automotive masking tape
Yea, those pads seem really nice, plus i cant really go wrong with them.

Now, do you honestly think i can get some decent results with using the Ultimate compound with one of these pads by hand? Time isnt really an issue, but of course im not going to want to be polishing the same spot for hours without any results. I also have some Meguiars Mirror Glaze Professional Medium-Cut Cleaner, but this wouldnt even help in restoring faded paint would it? (i boguht this stuff when a body shop reccommended it for some sap looking marks on my bumper that would not come off... This product didnt get the spots off, yet it did seem to take off some of the paint, because the applicator i was using started to turn laser red...)

Oh and on a side note... Do you use armor all, or such other prodcuts of the sort, and if you do, after washing your car, do you tape off the some of the paint, leaving the black trim exposed for the spray, so that the greasy armor all doesnt get on the paint?

Or do you wash the car, armor all,and then wash/rinse off again
I ask this, because i always end up getting some armor all on my paint, leaving it looking a bit greasy, even right after the car has been washed.
lol thanks

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Yea, those pads seem really nice, plus i cant really go wrong with them.

Now, do you honestly think i can get some decent results with using the Ultimate compound with one of these pads by hand? Time isnt really an issue, but of course im not going to want to be polishing the same spot for hours without any results. I also have some Meguiars Mirror Glaze Professional Medium-Cut Cleaner, but this wouldnt even help in restoring faded paint would it? (i boguht this stuff when a body shop reccommended it for some sap looking marks on my bumper that would not come off... This product didnt get the spots off, yet it did seem to take off some of the paint, because the applicator i was using started to turn laser red...)

Oh and on a side note... Do you use armor all, or such other prodcuts of the sort, and if you do, after washing your car, do you tape off the some of the paint, leaving the black trim exposed for the spray, so that the greasy armor all doesnt get on the paint?

Or do you wash the car, armor all,and then wash/rinse off again
I ask this, because i always end up getting some armor all on my paint, leaving it looking a bit greasy, even right after the car has been washed.
lol thanks
First of all if the pad started turning lazer red the clearcoat has failed in that area and you will need a repaint. You can do Ultimate compound then follow it up with your Medium cut cleaner, I am not sure if it will finish down as nice as Ultimate Polish... but you are doing this by hand so dont expect amazing results just something that will help out a bit. And yes the pads are basically the other half you need to get the most out of each product especially when you doing this by hand.

As for armor all I never use it its absolute junk, I rather leave the area un treated than put that on it. If you have to get something locally get Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber Care or Mothers Protectant at Pepboys and get some yellow foam applicators they sell there as well. You spray it on the applicator then you apply it to your trim let is sit fro a few minutes about 10 then go back over it with a microfiber to remove any excess product, same goes when you apply a tire protectant this way do dont go spraying all your paint or wheels with the crap also same goes for your interior protectant so you dont go getting the glass or other areas full of protectant

1 - 20 of 28 Posts