Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much should a good paint job cost? not a mayco crap job but a good paint job with a few layes of clear coat. i think i might give mine to the body shop this winter, have a few scratches and could use a touch up.

·
muneris pro ego
7,475 Posts
like weems said it depends on what you want, and the kind of paint they use. the better the paint (PPG or DuPont) will run you more than Sherwin Williams (**** paint). if its just repainting the same color to get scratches out, it shouldnt cost too much. if you have body work that needs to be done it will be more. if its just a repainting the stock color, it should cost around a grand

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Really we can't tell you how much it will be. Different jobs have vastly different prices. Plus your geographical location dictates the price.

Take your car to a body shop and have them walk out to your car, take notes, and give you a quote.

Be warry of anything under about 2k. Ask what brands they use, their process for painting, ect. Also ask to see their paint booth. If they have nothing to hide, they wont.

·
Old timer
9,296 Posts
like weems said it depends on what you want, and the kind of paint they use. the better the paint (PPG or DuPont) will run you more than Sherwin Williams (**** paint). if its just repainting the same color to get scratches out, it shouldnt cost too much. if you have body work that needs to be done it will be more. if its just a repainting the stock color, it should cost around a grand
No way, if someone quotes you a grand to repaint a car with prep work then you better run for the hills. We just had my buddies SRT-4 resprayed the stock color and we did every single bit of the prep work. Sanded completely down, primed, wet sanded, taped up, and tac ragged, all the painter had to do was spray it and it still ran him $1500 bucks.

Do not skip on paint, you will regret it. Save your pennies and do it right or don't do it at all.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm ok im away from my car for the next few weeks but when i get home im def taking her to some bady shops.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
No way, if someone quotes you a grand to repaint a car with prep work then you better run for the hills. We just had my buddies SRT-4 resprayed the stock color and we did every single bit of the prep work. Sanded completely down, primed, wet sanded, taped up, and tac ragged, all the painter had to do was spray it and it still ran him $1500 bucks.

Do not skip on paint, you will regret it. Save your pennies and do it right or don't do it at all.
Them some heavy words there man.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
A big part of the cost of painting is the prep work. If you can do the prep, you can save yourself a lot of the expense.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
And if possible, find a local club or some group of people who have cars. See what kind of hook ups they have, who they know, what discounts they can get. That always helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts