Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 234 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, Im doing some cam work over the next few weeks, and I thought since I have the valve covers off, maybe I should paint them. I saw a pic on here of someones car (can't remember who) that had orange valve covers.. I really like the idea, and the color.

So does anyone have any tips for me? other than make sure they are clean.. Would it help if they where sand blasted?? I have access to a blast booth..

Thank you!

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
Sand blasting/media blasting can leave a texture on the metal. If I were you I'd just clean them really well and lightly sand the surface with 800 grit paper.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Powdercoating would be best but I used high temp engine enamel (FORD BLUE). I clean very well with throttlebody cleaner, made sure was dry and sprayed couple layers of paint. I've also seen where someone put down a ford racing decal and then a couple layers of clear on top and it was beautiful.

Here is my engine bay:

Go ahead and remove the oil filler tube while you are there (twist right off) and then just tighten the cap back on. In my opinion looks much better...

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
If you have a powder coater locally that you can get to do them once you drop them off than you would be in business. It's a much better route compared to paint.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Powdercoating would be best but I used high temp engine enamel (FORD BLUE). I clean very well with throttlebody cleaner, made sure was dry and sprayed couple layers of paint. I've also seen where someone put down a ford racing decal and then a couple layers of clear on top and it was beautiful.

Here is my engine bay:

Go ahead and remove the oil filler tube while you are there (twist right off) and then just tighten the cap back on. In my opinion looks much better...
Yeah I am with you on the powdercoat, but I really don't want to pay someone, I do like the idea of painting them myself, and if they turn out like ass, Ill blast them and send them to a powdercoater.. Thank you for the idea of powder coating them..

As far as the idea of putting a sticker on before hitting them with clear, I LOVE IT.. Freakin awesome, I will be doing that!! Thank you very much for that idea..

·
Registered
874 Posts
My high temp engine enamel paint is chipping and looks like ass..... will be powder coating them soon, dont waste your time.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
My high temp engine enamel paint is chipping and looks like ass..... will be powder coating them soon, dont waste your time.
Exactly what happens to generally everyone after a while... My guess is the magnesium doesn't play nice.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Huh.... Well thats lame!!! Stupid magnesium!! Doesn't it know that WE won the war?? Jezzzz.. Well thanks for the heads up, I guess they will be going for powder coat..

Oh well, It was worth a shot, thanks for the info folks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've had mine sprayed for almost 2 yrs now without an issue...I did clean the hell out of the covers beforehand though. If you could find some high temp etching primer that could help.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you have a powder coater locally that you can get to do them once you drop them off than you would be in business. It's a much better route compared to paint.
I agree. Powder coating is the only way to go. A local shop did mine in a couple days while I was doing the cam swap.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I would have loved to have powdercoated mine but it wasn't in the budget nor could I afford the downtime on my DD. I painted mine with engine paint 3 years ago and still looks new so it has worked out fine for me. I prepped mine really well and maybe that is why others are having problems with chipping. Or possibly a crappy brand of paint.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would have loved to have powdercoated mine but it wasn't in the budget nor could I afford the downtime on my DD. I painted mine with engine paint 3 years ago and still looks new so it has worked out fine for me. I prepped mine really well and maybe that is why others are having problems with chipping. Or possibly a crappy brand of paint.

Looks freakin sharp bro!!! very nice! Thank you

·
Registered
800 Posts
No problem, thanks for the comments. If you decide to paint here is what I did. After removing them I wiped them down to get as much oil off as I could. I then sprayed full strength Simple Green and let it really set in.... about 15 minutes later I rinsed it all off. I did this twice. Then I use a heat gun to make sure it was completely dry. Painted them with Duplicolor Engine paint while hanging from coat hangers. I let them dry over night and then installed them. 3 Years now and they look the same as they did before and this is on a daily driver.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yep painted mine as well. I cleaned the hell out of them first. Then sprayed about 3 coats of primer on, 4 coats of the (Ford Blue) high temp paint and then put the decals on and sprayed about 5 or 6 coats of clear. Ya it took a while but never had any problems with chipping or fading.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What the hell fellas!!!!!! You guys got all these beautiful valve covers!!! I think there should be a thread for under the hood, seriously, every single one of you guys have done a great job, and they all look very sexy.. Im inspired now, Thank you all for your replys!!!!

1 - 20 of 234 Posts