Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost positive i seen a thread on this like forever ago... but i searched and couldn't find it! Anyway, what do I need, and if anyone has pics, or links to pics, would be helpful!

So far I got:
SUPER TECH Brake Parts Cleaner
Im gonna buy some masking tape for it (im not taking the caliper off 2 paint it)

any certain paint? do I use clearcoat? tell me it all

·
Rainbows Mechanic
1,612 Posts
why didnt you just buy the caliper kit? comes with everything you need..thats how i did mine..i used red...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ugh, u buy it at auto-zone? how much is it

·
Rainbows Mechanic
1,612 Posts
yea..its like 15 bucks i think or something like that..its been awhile since i did mine but you get tape,cleaner,paint,a brush and directions

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
ya great kit. and you dont need clearcoat for your project. when you do paint them make sure you clean your calipers REALLY REALLY REALLY good!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does clearcoat come in that? or not

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
no its a special kind of paint so you wont need clearcoat at all. after you paint them wait 2 hours before you put the tires back on, and wait 24 hrs before you drive it again. of course i didnt do the the 24 hr thing but they still look fine.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
that kit is enough to do all four
+1

it's much more than enough, I did mine and 3 other friend's cars, (one was even painting a whole drum) and still have quite a bit left. Make sure you clean your calipers good though, get a steel brush and brake cleaner...

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
+1

it's much more than enough, I did mine and 3 other friend's cars, (one was even painting a whole drum) and still have quite a bit left. Make sure you clean your calipers good though, get a steel brush and brake cleaner...
yep the cleaner they are the brighter ur paint with turn out

·
EMT
6,566 Posts
i used a VG2 kit. they have a bigger asortment of colors and it works great! I got white and couldnt be happier with the results well id be happier if I steady hand that is... lol

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
probably have to get a couple more cans of brake cleaner.... but otherwise that kit is great. I still have mine from quite a few years ago. I have used it on my Eclipse GS-X, 3000GT VR-4, camaro, and once it warms back up Ill use it on my Stang. Plenty of paint in it.

as to needng Clear.. not needed. the paint is a ceramic based paint that once dried and hard isnice and glossy. as long as you prep the calipers well with cleaning adn a wire brush they wont need clear at all. plus you would have to find some pretty high temp clear to last on brakes.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
did yall paint the on the rotor?

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
no no no do NOT paint on the rotor. are you serious???? :eek::no
actually a part of the rotor can be painted, just make sure its not any part that the pads touch...i painted part of it bc it gets that rust look goin on after a while and looks just fine...just make sure its high heat paint tho

·
EMT
6,566 Posts
the middle part of the rotor can be painted but its not worth it. its just going to be covered by the wheel and if the paint drips or you have some over spray its not good! plus IMO would look tackie

1 - 20 of 23 Posts