Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to get a subwoofer box custom designed by Ryan over at RAM Designs. I was thinking abou painting the piece of MDF that the subwoofer is mounted to yellow and carpet the rest black.

Is this possible and how would I make this work?
Here's a rough sketch I drew in 5-10min of how it might look, and yes I colored it with crayons :yes

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
Yes it should work from a basic question. It's pretty basic to cover the thing (except for the front) in carpet and paint the front piece. However, I have two comments that you should at least consider.

First, what is the mounting depth of your subwoofer? With the one dimension only being 7 inches, make sure the sub isn't too deep.

Second, center the sub in the box if possible. The air inside the box acts as part of the subwoofer suspension. So when the sub isn't centered in the box, you can actually cause the cone to rock (instead of moving straight up and down). When the cone rocks it will [at a minimum] cause sound degradation; [at a maximum] the voice coil can rub the front plate and short out. The lower the volumes, the less concern of it rocking. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it should work from a basic question. It's pretty basic to cover the thing (except for the front) in carpet and paint the front piece. However, I have two comments that you should at least consider.

First, what is the mounting depth of your subwoofer? With the one dimension only being 7 inches, make sure the sub isn't too deep.

Second, center the sub in the box if possible. The air inside the box acts as part of the subwoofer suspension. So when the sub isn't centered in the box, you can actually cause the cone to rock (instead of moving straight up and down). When the cone rocks it will [at a minimum] cause sound degradation; [at a maximum] the voice coil can rub the front plate and short out. The lower the volumes, the less concern of it rocking. Just something to think about.
The top mounting depth is 6-11/16". It's a Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12.

Thank you man. I didn't know that it needed to be centered. I just threw a quick sketch together to demonstrate the basic idea.

Also, would Titebond II wood glue work on the painted surface too since I planned on clear coating it as well?
I was thinking of using Duplicolor acrylic enamel chrome yellow and crystal clear over primer sealer and sand able primer for the faceplate.

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
Also, would Titebond II wood glue work on the painted surface too since I planned on clear coating it as well?
I was thinking of using Duplicolor acrylic enamel chrome yellow and crystal clear over primer sealer and sand able primer for the faceplate.
I've personally never painted MDF, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. If you wanted it to look really good, use yellow vinyl instead of paint.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've personally never painted MDF, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. If you wanted it to look really good, use yellow vinyl instead of paint.
Where could I get the vinyl?

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
Marine uphulstry shops carry it.

If you want to paint the top plate, use body filler at a minimum or fiberglass resin to be able to get a good shine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts