Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Game Over
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there a clear coat you are capable of using on headers? I used high heat vht primer and paint so far. I know there is engine gloss coat from vht but not high heat. Will it just bake off if I try that on the headers? Thanks

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-Automotive-260771-11-Ounce-Degrees/dp/B006ZLQ0JI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457881925&sr=8-1&keywords=high+heat+clear+coat[/ame]

·
Game Over
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They were pacesetter. They paint them from factory with shitty paint that bakes off after like 2 heat cycles lol. So I stripped, sanded and painted them. Gonna try advanced auto after work.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I believe pacesetters come with a standard non-heat resistant paint from the factory. I'm pretty sure they even state that it will flake off after exposure to high temps. Correct me if I'm wrong. If you plan to paint the headers, you will need to completely remove any trace of that paint before applying a new heat resistant paint.

A high heat paint that contains some sort of ceramic is what you want. Those store brands tend to flake off with time. I have some 2000F shaker can paint that peels and flakes if exposed to temperatures much lower than 2000.

Por-15 is a better than average brand that a friend used. There high temp paint worked ok.

I have read but never witnesses the results of high-temp powder coating. Might be something to consider.

·
Registered
437 Posts
That is what I did. I'm not a idiot lol. I stripped the headers. Sanded. Hi heat primed 1200 to 2000 heat range. Painted hi heat 1200 to 2000 ...then cleared 1200 to 2000 degree clear! Vht.
Little blurry but it looks good. You obviously did the right process for coating them.

I was considering going to long tubes and coating them myself. I was curious about two things, A. using a 2k high temp clear coat so that the final coat is rock hard and B. How to coat the inside of the headers.

I was mostly worried about the insides of the header because water is a product of combustion and could cause rust inside from the inside out. The problem I ran into was that the inside of the header is exposed to much higher temps (direct flame sometimes) so most coatings would not hold up to this. And if they flake off, they could clog up the cat. Just something to consider. I never figured this one out myself - other than ceramic coatings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts