Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
aloha ke akua
13,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my 99/01 Cobra bumper and got an OEM Mach 1 front bumper.
The bumper is going to be painted Silver to match my car (obviously). The chin spoiler is a little rough from some bumps. I don't really want to leave it how it is, and I don't think they'd up-charge me to paint it the same color as the rest of the bumper. I think the grill delete is definitely going to be silver as well. Thoughts? Bad idea? Open to suggestions.

Also- so I do not have to make another thread for this; would there be a way to "fix" blemishes in the chin spoiler? It's OEM, so I'm not sure what it's made of, but it's heavier duty than the aftermarket ones. It is almost stretched out and faded in a spot about an inch wide where the PO hit something.

Thanks in advance, guys. Reps for those who are helpful.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts

Looks pretty good I'd say. I like unpainted better though.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

Would probably look better with paint matched grille delete.

·
I smell like beef
5,580 Posts
I drag my chin spoiler everytime I leave my driveway. I've thought about painting it body color but with how flexible the plastic is, I figured it would eventually crack and flake off. I do have some scrapes on mine. I was going to hit the high spots with some sandpaper and then shoot some semi flat black rattle can over the lip - maybe even dip it for a little bit of texture.

I cracked my cowl panel a while back. After repairing it with some epoxy and sanding, I hit it with some plasti dip. It looks like new.

·
needs more boost
4,897 Posts
I think it'd look good with the grille delete matching but I'd personally leave the chin black :dunno I don't think it'd look bad but I think the black looks better just my opinion.

·
aloha ke akua
13,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I'm thinking I'll probably go black, but the painted to match isn't half bad. I just thought it might be original or different.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Wait you sold the cobra bumper for a mach 1 bumper? Arent the mach 1 bumpers the exact same as the GT?

I dont think the lips good painted, the black finish is where its at :)

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
the only problem I see with the paint, is that chin spoilers are always hitting stuff (cause they are so low) so the paint would get scratched pretty fast

·
gtscrewd
5,228 Posts
Black chin is a lot easier to touch up. A little rough sand and some flat black paint and they look great again. Color not so much.

·
super serious
6,254 Posts
I wouldn't paint it unless you're 100% sure you won't be scraping it on anything. Those things flex and get scuffed quite easily.

·
aloha ke akua
13,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, y'all talked some good sense into me. More reps when I'm on a comp. later!

Maybe I could have them paint it satin black? :dunno

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

Wait you sold the cobra bumper for a mach 1 bumper? Arent the mach 1 bumpers the exact same as the GT?

I dont think the lips good painted, the black finish is where its at :)
Oh, I walked out with some cash :naughty:

·
Registered
437 Posts
I wouldn't paint it. That thing is too flexible and too low to the ground. I went through the same thing as you and decided against it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
iMO don't paint it. Looks cooler when it stands out as a different color than the body.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts