Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the mustang is starting to really need a fresh paint job, however I do not have several thousand dollars to spend on a professional paint job. A couple weeks ago I saw an episode of Trucks or something where they used a complete 2 stage system from summit racing and it got me thinking of possibly painting my car myself. I could set up a makeshift paint booth in my garage and give it a shot. I figured it would be a fun project for me. I am starting to do some research on this so can anyone point me in the right direction towards some instructional how to articles or videos? What paint gun should I look at buying? Any recommendations on paint? Really just any input would be appreciated. I do not plan on doing this for a while just figured I would start gathering information now and saving up. I do not expect to get a perfect finish on my first try but I'm also not trying to make an award winning show car.

·
Registered
890 Posts
If your not a pro then don't do it lol. It's harder than it looks

·
Registered
890 Posts
Also if your really willing to do it. You need alot of practice

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
the most important part is going to be the prep job. Prep the car properly and most of the mistakes made while painting will be able to be wet sanded out.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh I forgot a friend of mine works at a body shop and he can help me through the process. I know its not going to be easy but I'm also a real do it yourself type of person so this would be a fun project for me. If I mess it up then I can try again or just have it done professionally.

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
take a look at the "WTF vette driver" thread for an example of why its a bad idea to take on auto paint when you don't know exactly what you're doing.

·
101FNG IS MY MASTER! I LOVE HIM 4EVER!
10,946 Posts
i would never in my life attempt to paint my own car ... we have one that we HAVE to get painted and im def takingi t somewhere... you can always go the maaco route.. its like a grand for their best paint job and there are two other cheaper options. Just save up and put money back until you have enough to get it done.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That Corvette looks like it was painted with a roller. I was expecting more people to say go for it. I understand that it is a lot of work, a lot of prep, and practice. I'm sure if I took my time, researched, had assistance from my friend who does body work and has painted before I can get a decent result. A hell of a lot better than that corvette.

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
That Corvette looks like it was painted with a roller. I was expecting more people to say go for it. I understand that it is a lot of work, a lot of prep, and practice. I'm sure if I took my time, researched, had assistance from my friend who does body work and has painted before I can get a decent result. A hell of a lot better than that corvette.
If you have a friend who actually does good body and paint work, definitely have him help you. Paint is an expensive **** up.

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
I'm going to be the first to say, GO FOR IT!!! I've been reading a bunch about painting cars lately, mostly the "$50 rustoleum" method, a little about the 2-step and 1 step real car paint jobs.

I have an old truck in rough shape that I'm planning on fixing as much of the body as possible and painting this summer. My rationale being that I have very limited funds for the project, and all summer to do it. This will keep me busy for a while as I enjoy working on cars, I'll learn about bodywork while not ruining a collector car, and it will keep me from spending $$$ on the mustang ;) I've seen pictures of stripped mustangs that were literally painted in the back yard, and if you go back a bit there was a guy who stripped the paint on his rare, limited edition color with 80 grit and caught a ton of flack for planning on painting it black (among other things). Good idea to ask before you bust out the sandpaper.

The downside to painting your own car is that it could hurt the value, especially trade in value because if something doesn't look right, people will assume it was in an accident (dealers think this way too I believe). Would you paint it the same color it is now? That way the door jams, under the hood/trunk etc. would still match. And honestly, if you take your time and buff it really good I'll bet it will look awesome and the average person won't be able to tell.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you have a friend who actually does good body and paint work, definitely have him help you. Paint is an expensive **** up.
Once I figure this out a little more I will talk to my friend about helping out. I'm not too worried about the paint coming out terrible because I'm sure I can do a decent job with some help and I don't plan on selling the car. My car is not going to be a show car it is going to be an autocross and open track car so I don't need a perfect paint job. As far as color goes I haven't decided yet, right now the car is black but I think I want to change it up. Since Im not building a show car, having door jambs remain black won't bother me at all. Can someone make suggestions as to what paint guns to look at and where to buy from?

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have an old truck in rough shape that I'm planning on fixing as much of the body as possible and painting this summer. My rationale being that I have very limited funds for the project, and all summer to do it. This will keep me busy for a while as I enjoy working on cars, I'll learn about bodywork while not ruining a collector car, and it will keep me from spending $$$ on the mustang ;) I've seen pictures of stripped mustangs that were literally painted in the back yard, and if you go back a bit there was a guy who stripped the paint on his rare, limited edition color with 80 grit and caught a ton of flack for planning on painting it black (among other things). Good idea to ask before you bust out the sandpaper.
I'm doing the exact same thing this summer! Ive got an old beat up 77 chevy me and my two friends are fixing and painting, with a budget of course! Good luck
And to the OP i say go for it, do your research, get a friend from a body shop and go to work! :D

Reactions: brokenweasel

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Still looking for articles and videos to help me out and what paint guns I should be looking at? I also may have found a friend who is willing to let me have a practice try on his civic that needs repainting. I think I may go through with this towards the end of summer after I save up money for supplies.

·
Registered
365 Posts
As a painter, the paint gun makes a world of difference. A good paint gun will set you back about $800.00 new about 3 to 400.00 used. SATA paint guns work really well (thats all i use). If you buy a paint gun you want one with a 1.3 tip for base and clear or single stage. Painting a car is not all that hard, set your paint gun for base around , 28psi and your clear 32 to 35 psi. First prep your car really well, then tape the car off. Then wipe your car down with a wax remover, then tack off the car DONT touch the car with bare hands wear latex gloves. Mix your paint to the correct ratio, pour it into your paint gun. Set the gun at the correct pressure make sure your gun is wide open on the fan pattern. Check your fluid control knob, make your your gun is dialed in. Do a test panel first. Start off with the roof of the car and go to the other side, then the hood and trunk.. Then the sides and bumpers. It takes about 7 minutes for base coat to flash.. drying time.. After you have went around the car one time wait about 10 minutes then re-tack off the car again. follow the same steps all over again.. You will put base on the car about 4 times all the way around.. Make sure the paint goes on even.. If it looks great and covers real well you may only need 3 coats of base.. 50 50 overlap went you paint.. continuous motion is what you need to side to side.. Re-tack the car again after the base coat has dried.. Now your ready for clear coat.. Clean your gun really well with thinner.. Pour some into the gun and spray it out.. make sure its good and clean.. wipe off .. Mix your clear coat set the pressure to 32 or 35 psi.. adjust your fluid control knob not all the way out.. about 2 1/2 tuns out from being all the way adjusted in.. Once you start clearing you cant stop.. If you get a run well that why they make sand paper and a buffer for.. Put a good medium coat all the way around.. MAKE SURE YOU DONT LEAN INTO THE CLEAR COAT..with your arm, body or hose.. Then wait about 10 minutes or when the clear is stickey.. Put your finger on the window or paper if the clear is stickey its ready for another coat.. if not then wait a few more minutes.. then hit it again with clear.. Try a mail box first to get the hang of it .. Hope this helps..

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you Ryank that was extremely helpful. Do you have any websites I should look at for buying a paint gun from? Also how big of an air compressor will I need for this? I am really going to do my research on this and do the best I can if I go through with it.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Cars can be painted with rollers ya know!!!

:D :D :D :D

The $100 paint job.

This is my Jeep that I painted with one gallon of Rustoleum Gloss Black Protective Enamel; 7 coats of paint, painted with a set of 3", 4" and 6" high density foam rollers, Rustoleum clear coat, and then wetsands of 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, and 2000 grit along the way. A final polish with Meguiars Ultimate Compund.

Roller paint jobs CAN BE DONE.

However, don't do it to your 'Stang.

You can learn to spray it yourself, but practice on smaller stuff first. Get yourself a quality gun and a quality compressor and make sure all your elements are just right. Temperature and humidity are huge. However long someone tells you to wait until the paint is workable...wait longer until you work with it again. Just make sure you do your homework, and I fully believe that most people can learn to paint with decently good to good results.

Reactions: brokenweasel
1 - 20 of 28 Posts