Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Stew
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read several tutorials on how to do this, but I was just wondering if anyone had actually DONE it. Rim and wheel combos are just a little out of my budget right now, but I know i can make my setup look great if i take my time and do it right.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I helped my buddy paint his bullits black!!

Easy and cheap, YES, time consuming, YES!!!!!! We had 3 guys and it took most of the day! about 90% of the work was prep. then we put about 5 coats of black!

Only advice from him, is to take your time, and have a little bottle of touch up paint! He never WASHES his wheels (only sprays them down) and they look great IMO, never looks dirty!

·
Stew
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sweet. well i need to buy some jack stands and some sanding stuff.... did he sand by hand or get a drill attachment?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
sweet. well i need to buy some jack stands and some sanding stuff.... did he sand by hand or get a drill attachment?

all by hand! but hey, he spend 16 dollars at autozone haha

If you want...but idk i recommend it, just use the jack in the back of the stang...you can only do a wheel at a time but it saves you some money

·
Stew
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
none of the mustangs that i saw HAD a jack in the back.... they all have some sort of instant gel/air pump gear.... so i dont even have a jack!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
i have also painted my bullitts black. (i have to repaint them though because i waited too long to add clear coat and the clear bubbled on me)
anyway, for the painting process
-wash the rims
-sand down the rims or scuff them up with a scothbrite pad enough to remove the shine and gloss from the rims
-spray a few coats of primer (i used one can of self etching primer & one can of filler primer)
-spray desired color of paint
-clear

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
i have also painted my bullitts black. (i have to repaint them though because i waited too long to add clear coat and the clear bubbled on me)
anyway, for the painting process
-wash the rims
-sand down the rims or scuff them up with a scothbrite pad enough to remove the shine and gloss from the rims
-spray a few coats of primer (i used one can of self etching primer & one can of filler primer)
-spray desired color of paint
-clear

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
That video was helpful. I'm going to paint my fr's flat black this summer

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
i followed that video to paint an off-road bumper for my 4x4, and used the same paints, and that bumper went through hell and the paint never came off, just got scratched from trees and rocks, but never but any deep scratches...i say go fot it :)

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
If you want...but idk i recommend it, just use the jack in the back of the stang...you can only do a wheel at a time but it saves you some money
I honestly wouldn't trust that think to hold up a vehicle for very long. It's really just made to keep the car up so you can take off a blown tire and put the spare on. A jack and jack stands are a great investment for anyone who likes to work on their car.

·
El Torchy
4,706 Posts
I had these wheels back then...

So I wanted to paint them black so I just slapped my 16" stockies back on and started working on them. I used index cards, sand paper 400 grit, primer, black gloss paint, clear gloss...

Finished after a day of working on it... Sanding, priming, painting... In-between breaks... Let them sit overnight till noon next day...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts