Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am going to paint my older spoiler off my 06 mustang. I am going to paint it black, and was wondering is it possible to make it look good. I mean I know I will never get it pro good, but good enough to not make it look like it came out of a spray can?

I am thinking either making it gloss black, or flat black. what paint and what clear coat would work well to do a good home job.?

·
Registered
663 Posts
just wet sand it with real fine sand paper primer it and do light coats
i did mine with regualr duplicolor gloss black most people think i got it done profesionally..just take your time dont rushit and wet sand between coats

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The thing is, This spoiler is already painted Firered. and I want to paint it black. so in order ot paint it, do i need to remove the old paint, or just paint over the old. If I remove it, what is the best method of removing the old paint?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
People have told me that there are paint strippers out there that will strip it in 20 minutes. HOwever the material that the 2005+ spoilers are made out of, Like plastic or fiberglass or something, will the strippers melt them or hurt the spoilers?

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
i would just hand sand it down or use a sander on it,dont think i would use chemicals on it to strip it off.then primer it,paint it an then clear coat it,but remember to wet sand in between coats for a smoother shine

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am starting this project today. I went to home depot and in their sand paper section, the highest grit I could find was 400. it went from 60-400. I did not see any in the 1000's which I was told to use to wet sand.

So I bought some 150 for the original sand, then some 400 for the wet sand?
where can I find 1000+ grit?

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
autoparts store. Mine has paper up to 2000 grit, then it switches to gels and liquids that go up to 10000 grit. stay away from homodepot for sand paper to use on your car. :)

Also if you hit up a auto paint shop, not like maaco or a body shop, but the shop that sells the paint to them... sometimes they will have actual auto paint in rattle cans. I mention this as the Duplicolor will look good, but in my experiance after a year or so it will start to fade.

Either way, good luck, and as stated a few times already, TAKE YOUR TIME! :) and post pics of the progress. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I sanded my bumper down with 200 grit sang paper, and then touch sanded with 800 grit. applied 2 coats of primer, and let it dry for about 1 hour while using a hair dryer. I then applied a thin mist coat of flat black, let dry for 1 hour. applied another thin mist coat. let dry for an hour with hair dryer. applied 1 thicker coat and let dry for 3 hours. applied another thicker coat and let dry for another 3 hours. wet sanding with 1000 grit sand paper in between coats. had some flaws so I sanded alittle and applied a last thicker coat. let dry for one hour. went in to check on it, and the paint was cracked EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!! Not peeling off cracked, but it looked like it was meant to be a wringle finish. Spider veins all over. WHAT DID I DO WRONG????

I removed the paint with a putty knife, and sanded and am going to start all over again... Where did I go wrong.? did I not let it dry long enough in between coats? The paint I used said 15 minute dry time!

HELP:mad::mad:

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
dont use the hair dryer. what is happening is the pait on the outside is drying, but not underneath. let it dry on its own. it might take a bit more time... but the finish wil look a lot better.

also are you using some sort of primer? or painting right on the plastic? Might think about primer, especially if you used a putty knife to peel it off. sounds like it diddnt stick to good.

when I painted my black out panel by the taillights I sanded with 800, sprayed a light coat of primer. waited an hour for it to dry fully, sprayed a little heavier coat of primer and let that dry. sanded with 1000 then wiped with a clean rag. sprayed a light paint coat,and let it dry for a hour or so. sprayed another light coat, and let dry.... I think I ended up using 4 or 5 coats of paint to get full coverage, but you have to let it dry fully.

Take your time and dont try to rush it with a blow dryer.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for all your advise.

However when painting the coats, how far should I be holding the can away from the object? During the last 2 coats, should it be close enough to leave a wet look, or still just enough to mist the part.
During my last 2 I help it about 3" from the part. Should it be more like 6-12"?

·
Registered
16 Posts
when I painted my black out panel by the taillights I sanded with 800, sprayed a light coat of primer. waited an hour for it to dry fully, sprayed a little heavier coat of primer and let that dry. sanded with 1000 then wiped with a clean rag. sprayed a light paint coat,and let it dry for a hour or so. sprayed another light coat, and let dry.... I think I ended up using 4 or 5 coats of paint to get full coverage, but you have to let it dry fully.

Take your time and dont try to rush it with a blow dryer.
Which blackout panel are you painting? They are black to begin with no?
I have theStreet Scene one that I am thinking about painting a rat rod satin black before I stick it on. Can you get rat rod satin black in a spray can?

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
my cars ass was all red like his. I painted the panel between the lights black, and the lower valance like he did in the photochops in the first thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts