Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know exactly what a panhard bar does. The way I understand is that it acts as a 3 link by elimating my uppers? I this correct? What will this help with when coupled with lower control arms?

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
I don't believe it replaces your uppers, that's the torque arm your talking about.

The panhard in short is more so a cornering upgrade. It helps to keep the rear stable by controling the side-to-side location of the axles. Thus eliminating unpredictable or unstable corning that mustangs stock four-link suspensions normally have.

·
Registered
609 Posts
look under the 5.0 section in "time for some grip...help"...i posted it a few days ago and got some great info....it goes into detail about all of the rear.

·
June 2010 ROTM
1,913 Posts
Exactly what Flyin Ryan said.

The rear end in Mustangs can slip side to side as much as 2 inches. The Panhard bar "Locks" the rear end in place. Thats all it does.

But this makes the cars handling much more predictable.

True, you still use the uppers. Some guys say that you can take ONE upper out. I'd left both mine in.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. Cool. I'm basically coming to the conclusion that its pointless for me to build my motor heavily til I get the suspension correct seeing as how it doesnt like to plant now stock. Any suggestions? I know the basics: subframe connectors, upper lower control arms, lowering springs with struts/shocks. I'm not gonna see the track much. Just a daily with some strip time.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
True, you still use the uppers. Some guys say that you can take ONE upper out. I'd left both mine in.
The theory with some kits is with only one upper or really a specific replacement single upper, it reduces the inherent binding that the stock uppers can cause so your rear stays centered AND does not bind up during movement. All kits are engineered a certain way for a reason with either none, one or both or a complete replacement. I'd stick to what the your specific kit suggests.

Mustang suspension basics
Late Model Mustang Suspension Basics

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.