Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that installed your panhard bars yourself, I got a quick questions. (And no I don't have it yet.) When you adjust the rod to center the axle, can you adjust the length while each side of the bar is bolted in? This is the only thing in the instructions that kinda confuses me. It would be simple if you can, but if not, how would you move the axle to center it? Thanks.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
Depends on if the bar has a RH/LH thread coupling :yes

I would doubt that it does, as this would be a point of weakness on a PHB. You will probably have get it close (I figure the instructions will give you an approximate starting point) and once the suspension is loaded, measure the difference and correct it.

Jazzer :)

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I will have to load and unload the suspension to get it to fit? Because what I was thinking was if the axle isnt centered, and I want it to be centered, when I adjust the length of the bar, the holes would then not line up when I put it back on....

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
If I'm understanding you correctly, you're asking if you can adjust the side to side with the panhard bar bolted in all the way?

If that's the question, then with the MM panhard bar, you can adjust it with it bolted to both sides, you don't have to take one side loose to adjust the length. You loosen the locking nuts, use a wrench to turn the bar itself, and then tighten the locking nuts back up when you've got it done.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
When the axle "hangs" it will be pulled to the passenger side MORE than it will be when the suspension is loaded. For this reason, unless you are a monster at geometry and able to calculate about 18 mathematical equation inputs, you won't be able to adjust the length only a single time :(

I was able to use a bar to leverage over the axle the amount I was off to align the bolt once it was back up in the air :yes

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I'm understanding you correctly, you're asking if you can adjust the side to side with the panhard bar bolted in all the way?

If that's the question, then with the MM panhard bar, you can adjust it with it bolted to both sides, you don't have to take one side loose to adjust the length. You loosen the locking nuts, use a wrench to turn the bar itself, and then tighten the locking nuts back up when you've got it done.

Alright, that's exactly what I was wondering. So I just twist the bar then tighten the nuts so it cant spin anymore when it's all adjusted?

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
:yes

Jazzer.... like DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Princes' parents.....
:(

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
When the axle "hangs" it will be pulled to the passenger side MORE than it will be when the suspension is loaded. For this reason, unless you are a monster at geometry and able to calculate about 18 mathematical equation inputs, you won't be able to adjust the length only a single time :(

I was able to use a bar to leverage over the axle the amount I was off to align the bolt once it was back up in the air :yes

As Jazzer mentioned, you need to load the suspension so that you can adjust the PHB to it's outermost limit without hanging up. This means you have to load the suspension to see where it ends up and doesn't "hang" because it's adusted too far out. This will defeat the purpose of having a PHB and whenever you turn hard and hit that point the rear end will jerk and make the car unstable which is the exact opposite of what you are trying to do.

John

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
As Jazzer mentioned, you need to load the suspension so that you can adjust the PHB to it's outermost limit without hanging up. This means you have to load the suspension to see where it ends up and doesn't "hang" because it's adusted too far out. This will defeat the purpose of having a PHB and whenever you turn hard and hit that point the rear end will jerk and make the car unstable which is the exact opposite of what you are trying to do.

John
What do you mean "hang"? I have access to a frame lift, and a drive-on lift, so would I be able to do the whole install on the drive-on lift?
Or do I have to use the frame lift and take the wheels off to actually mount the PHB?

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
"Hang" is to support the car by the body and allow the axle to be unsupported.

I forgot... the UCA's are still installed at this point, right? In such a case, the axle will not be too far off and maybe not at all*. Either way, once the PHB has been installed, and the car is placed back on the ground the PHB will NOT allow lateral movement in any way. If you happen to get lucky and the UCA's maintain a perfectly centered axle either when at rest on the ground or when allowed to hang during the installation of a PHB, then you indeed only need to adjust the PHB a single time.

*not likely :no

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Mine took a few tries to get the axle centered, but it wasn't that bad. I don't think I'd want to do it on a drive on lift though, because as mentioned, there's a lot of loading and unloading the suspension to get everything adjusted correctly, but it really wasn't that bad.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ive never centered mine. Never knew that it was important. I usually tried to look at the wheels in the wheel well from behind to see if one it sticking out farther than the other. So what everyone is saying is that the car should be on jackstands with the axle just hanging down and then adjust the bar? Mine shouldnt be that hard to do with the lower maximum motorsports control arms, dunno though.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
The only downside to it being off a bit is possible rubbing and appearance. If it doesn't rub and looks fine, no need to measure for exact center.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts