Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys so im trying to get my car back on the road this summer, and while im trying to save up the last little bit of money for Paint and clear i was thinking i should fix this Parking/E-brake issue while im at it, before i get her on the road this summer *Fingers Crossed*

So heres the problem....well basically it just doesn't work heh. I can have it "engaged" and its doesn't do anything. So im pretty sure its just stretched and/or old. So my question is, do i just have to buy a new one, or is this fixable? Also i cant seem to find the cable under the car, either im missing it or it travels somewhere i cant see? And is there a specific way i have to hook it up? If anyone could help me i would greatly appreciate it, thanks guys!

·
Registered
581 Posts
my 88 had the same issue. i would pull the handle up to the roof, and the car would still creep. the cables are most likely stretched. the safest route would be to buy new cables (front and rear).

but before ordering anything, first make sure that the drums arent completely worn out. do a few reverse pulls using the brakes a good bit. thatll help adjust any slack in the drums, maybe increasing parking brake power.

i tried all that, but ultimately, had to order new stuff anyway, and now it works like a charm. still needs some tweaking though.

to answer your location question, the cables start right above the driveshaft, the then bend through the frame, follow the pinch weld, and enter the drum.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Parking in gear wont stop the car from creeping on a steep enough hill. If your regular brake system fails, you are now **** out of luck attempting to slow the car down safely. I would fix that ASAP.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
There are three ebrake cables... first one from the brake handle in the car pokes through under the center console to the tunnel under the car above the drive shaft. There it has a T and connects the two other cables (one for each side) which end up at each drum.

I'd pop the drum off and check your brake shoes to see if they are beat or not.. most likely there beat, the adjuster is beat or the cables stretched. Either way the parts are on the cheap side but swapping the cables ****ing sucks especially by your self so have fun.

·
Registered
535 Posts
There are three ebrake cables... first one from the brake handle in the car pokes through under the center console to the tunnel under the car above the drive shaft. There it has a T and connects the two other cables (one for each side) which end up at each drum.

I'd pop the drum off and check your brake shoes to see if they are beat or not.. most likely there beat, the adjuster is beat or the cables stretched. Either way the parts are on the cheap side but swapping the cables ****ing sucks especially by your self so have fun.
this+living in florida where its flat=why i dont have an e brake....lol

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
but before ordering anything, first make sure that the drums arent completely worn out. do a few reverse pulls using the brakes a good bit. thatll help adjust any slack in the drums, maybe increasing parking brake power.
What do you mean by reverse pulls? Gassing it in reverse then breaking?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so ill have to take a look at the drums in the back 1st.

Assuming i need a new cable and what not, and i assume i will have to remove the center console?

Also exactly what part will i need and any brand recommendations? If someone can hyperlink i would greatly appreciate it thank guys!

·
Registered
581 Posts
What do you mean by reverse pulls? Gassing it in reverse then breaking?
correct. doing so adjusts the drums.

Ok so ill have to take a look at the drums in the back 1st.

Assuming i need a new cable and what not, and i assume i will have to remove the center console?

Also exactly what part will i need and any brand recommendations? If someone can hyperlink i would greatly appreciate it thank guys!
the console does need to be removed, but thats relatively simple. i would stick with Ford cables. i did and i didnt have any problems.

this+living in florida where its flat=why i dont have an e brake....lol
regardless of the reason, its not safe to drive without having a back up plan to stop the car in the event of brake failure. if you need to slam on the brakes to stop, and a line burst, good luck stopping in time, or being able to avoid a collision. ill take **** parking brakes over no parking brake any day.

·
Registered
535 Posts
correct. doing so adjusts the drums.

the console does need to be removed, but thats relatively simple. i would stick with Ford cables. i did and i didnt have any problems.

regardless of the reason, its not safe to drive without having a back up plan to stop the car in the event of brake failure. if you need to slam on the brakes to stop, and a line burst, good luck stopping in time, or being able to avoid a collision. ill take **** parking brakes over no parking brake any day.
when i find the cables and the p-brake itself, as mine was removed, i will re install it. car came with out it. not a daily driver.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts