Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know alot about parking brakes but here is what it is doing. When my car is parked up a hill, the parking brake does nothing, If i park down a hill the brake does not stop the car completely but it does hold and barely allow the car to slightly move forward. the rear brakes are brand new. besides adjusting the cable, what am i missing?

thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no ideas on the brakes huh?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I dont know alot about parking brakes but here is what it is doing. When my car is parked up a hill, the parking brake does nothing, If i park down a hill the brake does not stop the car completely but it does hold and barely allow the car to slightly move forward. the rear brakes are brand new. besides adjusting the cable, what am i missing?

thanks
Uh...been busy...rain sucks for the airport!
You sure the brakes are adjusted correctly?
If so, then cable adjustment is best bet. After that, R&R for a stretched cable.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the brakes are right, but what is stumping me is why the brake is holding going forward, but not backwards

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks. when the rain stops ill do some checking

·
Registered
127 Posts
How did you adjust your brakes, BTW? (Shoes in the drum, I mean).

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
Not sure if the adjustment wheel is in the same spot on a stang but same principle (I just looked it up for a neighbor) but its the same principle with the adjustment wheel

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I basically did what the video says. Correct me if im wrong but when you set the ebrake. it is only the rear brakes that hold right? I dont see why if 1 was lose why it would hold forward and not backwards. Maybe my lack of ebrake knowledge is it, but who knows. Thanks for the help so far guys

Yeah slayer...the brake shop is coming soon if i dont get it on my own.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I basically did what the video says. Correct me if im wrong but when you set the ebrake. it is only the rear brakes that hold right? I dont see why if 1 was lose why it would hold forward and not backwards. Maybe my lack of ebrake knowledge is it, but who knows. Thanks for the help so far guys

i would think if you changed the brake shoes it wiuld be the same forward or backward, since you haven't, the worn in shoes have developed a relationship with the drum going the forward direction, im guessing there isn't as much shoe contacting the drum when rolling backwards.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
i changed the shoes. they are brand new.

on a side note, is there anyway (other than taking it apart) to tell what kind of clutch is in the car. The guy i bought it from said it has a stage 3 clutch in it, but he also said a few other things that i found out to be not true. just wondering if there is any way to verify that.

·
meh
5,272 Posts
Both shoes move the same amount when you pull the hand brake. If you have new brake shoes, they should be equal thickness.

What I can figure:

When you are parked with the front of the car pointed downhill, MOST of the weight is at the front of the car, and the back brakes are merely keeping the car from rolling. When you park with the front of the car pointed uphill, MOST of the weight is transferred to the back axle; now the rear brakes have to actually hold the weight of the car.

Just a thought.

The hand brakes on both of my foxes were never very good either. One time, I parked on a steep hill with the front of the car poined uphill with one of my foxes.. I set the hand brake AND put it in gear. It STILL rolled down backwards slowly. :(

·
Registered
127 Posts

Yeah slayer...the brake shop is coming soon if i dont get it on my own.
Yup only the rear brakes hold for parking brake.
Make sure the primary shoe is the rear installed shoe (it's the longer one).
Make sure you replaced all the springs when you did the brake job - and that you installed the star wheel assy correctly.
Adjust your brakes to where they "lock" the rear wheels, then back off just until you can turn the wheel by hand and hear a slight "scrub" - not a "freewheel". This will make sure all the slack is out of all components, and let the shoes wear into full-surface contact.
Drive a day or two in traffic, then readjust after initial "wear in".

For parking brake adjustment:
# Make sure parking brake is released.
# Place transmission in neutral and raise the vehicle.
# Tighten the adjusting nut against the cable equalizer to cause rear brakes to drag.
# Loosen the adjusting nut until the rear wheels are fully released. There should be no drag.
# Lower vehicle and check operation

ALL shoe type brakes are slightly weaker going in reverse than in forward - they are designed that way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.