Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to pull into my driveway today and I pulled up the parking brake, and as I did there was a pop noise, and now the brake doesn't work and it just freely moves up. So did I snap the brake line? Which I would assume isn't easy, or did I just pop it off the lever itself? Any ideas.:mad:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Most likely broke the line. I had to replace the rear right and left lines as they completely seized up on me. Its not that bad to replace them, but if the front line broke then thats a different story. I think there is a TacoBill write-up on how to go about replacing the parking brake handle.

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn, thats a biiiitch, I dont know what the pricing would be like on that, but I bought the car and it came with a "Ultimate" warranty, so $100 deductible to get anything replaced on car, even if the engine blows for 3 years. Depending on price of this, I might just spend the $100.

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This picture shows exactly where it snapped, threw it on some ramps and found the piece on the ground also.

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I just got off phone with the dealer, and the part alone is $189 + Tax... Not including if I wanted them to install... So, looks like my warranty will be getting use of the $100 :D Unless theres a better way.

·
Registered
739 Posts

·
The Constitutionalist
431 Posts
mine is broke on the right side... still dealing with it :) it holds decently, kinda.

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that you are going to have to replace the parking brake handle along with the cable as I do believe that they are all one unit. Here is the link to FordParts.com for that part, so right around $100 is a good guesitmate.

Also, if you plan on doing this yourself, here is a good write-up from that will help you along.
Leather E-Brake install w/pics - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

EDIT: they are even cheaper here
For the newfordparts do I need the soft feel? Or the base GT one? I might myself for the small price. That write up will definitely help.

I just replaced mine did it myself. Broke in the same spot.
Pretty easy for the most part?

·
Registered
739 Posts
mine is broke on the right side... still dealing with it it holds decently, kinda.
They are very easy to replace, only thing that was hard to take was the price for both together. I ended up paying around $160 for both rear cables. Even though I never use the parking brake, its nice knowing that its all fixed up. Mine were seized so bad that I had to cut the line just to get them unhooked at the center of the car.

For the newfordparts do I need the soft feel? Or the base GT one?
that I do not know, but I am sure that both will work. I think the base GT one has a harder plastic handle then the soft feel one tis all. I could be wrong though.

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They are very easy to replace, only thing that was hard to take was the price for both together. I ended up paying around $160 for both rear cables. Even though I never use the parking brake, its nice knowing that its all fixed up. Mine were seized so bad that I had to cut the line just to get them unhooked at the center of the car.

that I do not know, but I am sure that both will work. I think the base GT one has a harder plastic handle then the soft feel one tis all. I could be wrong though.
I might be tackling this myself then, instead of waiting for Fords dumbasses to try and bs me on other stuff.

Mine now is just plastic, I guess ill have to look into it.

·
MM's Resident Muffler Shop
3,048 Posts
I had that happen a month or so ago. Still haven't gotten around to fixing it. But $189 + tax is bullshit. The dealership by me said its $143.50 for the part

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
I got the GT500 one for my car for $140. I would sell you my OEM "soft feel" one but you'd need the clips which probably doesn't help you but I don't know if you can use the ones from your E-Brake.

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ill check a different dealer as well, but I might utilize the 100 deductible regardless after all, im feeling lazy haha. Or maybe get a GT500 one for a little bit more.

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ill have to look into it, and I do have the "soft grip" I guess lol.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine broke in the same place. I think it was $165 to fix as its all one unit up until the cable splits off. Mine was covered under warranty and cost me $100. I was on a slight hill when mine broke, didn't even give it much of a tug and it snapped!

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine broke in the same place. I think it was $165 to fix as its all one unit up until the cable splits off. Mine was covered under warranty and cost me $100. I was on a slight hill when mine broke, didn't even give it much of a tug and it snapped!
Yep exactly how mine was, except it was my driveway haha.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts