Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Those are my pictures, and well im not impressed with them... the car is damn clean for what it normally is, and the pictures dont really show that.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Wow! That's a lot of pics. Looks good.

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
I'm NO expert at pictures, so take what I say with a grain of salt. It looks like a lot of your car is in the shadows. Take for example the first picture. Everything except the hood is very dark (due to the light being directly above the car). I would try to move the car off to the side of the light so the light hits the side of the car. Then always take pictures of the side of the car that the light is hitting (not the shadow side).

Another issue could be that the actual light is in a decent amount of the pictures. You'll get a bunch of exposure on the light source. But the car will be underexposed and dark.

I will say that your garage has really good lights or you camera has a nice filter. Most parking garage pictures I see are VERY yellow.

·
Cum On Me Bro
8,106 Posts
I think it's the direct light coming off the light above the car. Try moving the car away from the light, and shoot the lighted side of the car.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Do Not use flash if you can help it. use the light from the garage. Place the car so the overhead light is not shinning directly over the car. you do not want that big light on the ceiling to be reflected on the paint if you can help it. You just need to angle the car better.

Second, you need to learn how to use "M" manual mode. setting it on auto won't give you a great picture usually. Your aperture should be fairly large and your shutter to be rather low. you will probably need the shutter around 5-10 seconds or less depending on how high your camera can set the Aperture and you want your ISO as low as possible to get all the noise out of the picture. you will need to balance the light in the photo. not to bright, not too dark.

But to have a real awesome picture, your going to need picture editing program and preferable an SLR camera. But not every wants to spend that much money on a camera.

thirdly, a tripod is a MUST. you have too much camera shake in your photos. It is nearly impossible to hold a camera steady in lowlight like a parking garage.

And then there is the photo editing.

So theres a lot that goes into taking a good picture. Just depends how much effort you want to put into it.

Also, for car shots, I prefer High focal length shots. Meaning ZOOM in on the subject. So stand far away with your tripod and zoom your camera lens in on the subject. This really makes your subject stand out. Also this will be a good way to cut that overhead light out of the picture. But don't zoom in a ton. you can be conservative with it. Try different focal lengths and see which you like best.

I hope that helped a little bit..

Example:

Example of low focal length:

Example of high focal length: as you can see this one is focused much more on the subject which I prefer. not everyone may agree this looks better but just a tip worth mentioning. Do not zoom in too much or else your subject will look HUGE in the photo and look weird.

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do Not use flash if you can help it. use the light from the garage. Place the car so the overhead light is not shinning directly over the car. you do not want that big light on the ceiling to be reflected on the paint if you can help it. You just need to angle the car better.

Second, you need to learn how to use "M" manual mode. setting it on auto won't give you a great picture usually. Your aperture should be fairly large and your shutter to be rather low. you will probably need the shutter around 5-10 seconds or less depending on how high your camera can set the Aperture and you want your ISO as low as possible to get all the noise out of the picture. you will need to balance the light in the photo. not to bright, not too dark.

But to have a real awesome picture, your going to need picture editing program and preferable an SLR camera. But not every wants to spend that much money on a camera.

thirdly, a tripod is a MUST. you have too much camera shake in your photos. It is nearly impossible to hold a camera steady in lowlight like a parking garage.

And then there is the photo editing.

So theres a lot that goes into taking a good picture. Just depends how much effort you want to put into it.

Also, for car shots, I prefer High focal length shots. Meaning ZOOM in on the subject. So stand far away with your tripod and zoom your camera lens in on the subject. This really makes your subject stand out. Also this will be a good way to cut that overhead light out of the picture. But don't zoom in a ton. you can be conservative with it. Try different focal lengths and see which you like best.

I hope that helped a little bit..

Example:

Example of low focal length:

Example of high focal length: as you can see this one is focused much more on the subject which I prefer. not everyone may agree this looks better but just a tip worth mentioning. Do not zoom in too much or else your subject will look HUGE in the photo and look weird.

I do have those pictures all on a tripod. I am gonna try and take some more pictures some other time. Try and figure out the manual mode. Also what about best way to take pictures in direct sunlight say at the race track?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I do have those pictures all on a tripod. I am gonna try and take some more pictures some other time. Try and figure out the manual mode. Also what about best way to take pictures in direct sunlight say at the race track?

Thanks guys
hmmm. Ok, does your camera have a self timer? Use the self timer if it does. Maybe your tripod isn't sturdy enough as well. when you press the shutter button, it must be moving the camera somehow. Also maybe try cleaning the lens.

For photos at the track:

so you want action type shots?

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hmmm. Ok, does your camera have a self timer? Use the self timer if it does. Maybe your tripod isn't sturdy enough as well. when you press the shutter button, it must be moving the camera somehow. Also maybe try cleaning the lens.

For photos at the track:

so you want action type shots?
No, just like in the pits and stuff

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Download a program called photoscape. It is a free photo editing software. It should help you out a little bit. http://download.cnet.com/PhotoScape/3000-2192_4-10703122.html

Daylight photos, it is much easier than low light shots. Does your camera have a "P" mode ( priority) you can use that mode if you would like. Basically, and Auto mode without flash. that and taking the photo into an editing software will do you pretty good. It's hard to get technical in manual mode on a point and shoot camera. But generally, you will need a high shutter in direct sunlight. your aperture can be high or low depending on the look you want. the higher the Aperture the more detail will show up in your photos. you will want to set your ISO the lowest it can go.

There really isn't too much you can do in direct sunlight. Pretty much just shoot away. I never really do anything special in direct sunlight because I'm just too lazy and I'll edit things later on. I'm sure EMAY can help you out more than I can for direct sunlight. There are ways to angle the car properly but I never pay attention to it. I think you are suppose to angle the car 45 degrees or something away from the sun to minimize all the reflections and harsh light.

It is best to take car photos during dinner time, or slightly after, right before sunset. Your looking for that "golden light". you'll know it when you see it. you want the horizon to light up with the lines on your car.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts