Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up mustang enthusiasts !!!!:D I have a 2002 Mustang Gt ,want to buy some heads and other parts like throttle body , mass air flow sensor , injectors , clutch . I was wondering which heads to get from trick flow or which is the best one from trick flow there's two kinds ,so I don't know which one to get . Also want to put a supercharger later , I was thinking kenne bell or a procharger what are the estimate price for one of those kits . So what I would like to Know is what size of injectors ,throttle body , mass air flow sensor fuel pump that I would need if I buy the trick flow heads and what tuner would be good . The only thing I have is a full Mac exhaust system & 3.73 gears . Thank you Josh

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
this is kind of cheesy but build your car from the bottom up. its just like a tree, a strong base will allow you to grow hp wise. set a hp goal and build around it. if your only looking to make 400 hp then i would skip the heads and cam and just do a supercharger. if your goal is higher build your motor to handle it and set your fuel system so you only have to do it once. this helps cut cost in the long run. do it once do it right

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

So what company would be a good place to purchase a short block stroker or a long block crate engine for around $4000-5000.I was pretty much looking for something that my motor could handle for bolt-on but of course building from the bottom is the best way even with a supercharger . I have a friend here in Guam with a 2001 mustang gt with a full mac exhaust , supercharger (pro-charger) I think he's boosting @ 8psi ,up graded trans. (auto) 4.10 gears fastest time was a 12.4 and consistent time was a 12.8 . and he wants to upgrade his internal parts.Thank you

·
Registered
2,046 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Biggest difference I see is that the 185 track heats are all assembled heads. Some of the regular twisted wedge 185's are sold bare. And then the 195's obviously have the larger runners.

However from some research, I discovered that the regular twisted wedge has a maximum lift of .540, and EGR compatible for emissions. The track heats have their name for a reason. .600 lift and non EGR compatible. But basically they're the same head, one allows a more radical cam.

I'm not into ridiculous cams, so I'd just go for regular TF Twisted Wedge heads, not the track heat. If I had a ton of cash right now, I'd pick up an MMR 5.0 short block, MMR ported Trick Flow heads, an HP twin 76MM turbo kit, and see how much I could make on stock cams. Just for the fun of it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
You can max out what your stock shortblock can handle with nothing but a good supercharger kit. So i'm with Stal ... just skip the heads, cams, TB, etc for now. Put all your $$ into a supercharger setup ... then enjoy that on a safe level while you save enough $$ to buy a built bottom-end.

People always seem to spend tons of money on little bolt-ons that all combined add up to like 50 extra HP. Why not just go with ONE single add-on (well ... fuel and everything included) that will add way more?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Put all your $$ into a supercharger setup ... then enjoy that on a safe level while you save enough $$ to buy a built bottom-end.

People always seem to spend tons of money on little bolt-ons that all combined add up to like 50 extra HP. Why not just go with ONE single add-on
I have to agree with that. I bought my GT already with the Flowmaster catback and a catted X pipe, BBK CAI, gears. Since then I've had the T56 swapped in since the TR3650 went, picked up a used BBK O/R X for only $100 since I had a cracked cat and wanted the sound anyway, and bought the SCT Livewire mainly to calibrate for the gears, but to also get a decent tune.

Now I'm looking into boost since I've got a trans to handle it, a decent tuner. I think at this point the only bolt ons I'd buy would be underdrive pulleys, and most likely not because I may go for a centrifugal supercharger when the time comes. Don't really want to run a Y pipe even though a single turbo would typically make a little bit more power over a centrifugal.

Also considering a Tork Tech kit with an M112 since it'd be better for what I like to do, roll racing. Can't always get a preferred RPM like you can at a launch.

·
Wiser by the Minute
1,498 Posts
What is your Budget man? What are your goals ultimatly?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
You know how it goes man. Top fuel dragster power on a bolt-on Mustang GT budget. :lol

Who knows, he might be serious, and have some serious cash to back it up.

·
MMM JELLO!!!
905 Posts
what can you do with $700? should i just save more for a supercharger and intercooler which i will put on by summers end if nothing financially occurs?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Comments

Thank you for the advice from all of you....I like jokes :cool: . So a supercharger is the best way for me any advice which one to get a roots style or the centrifugal or a brand .I don't want to waste $10,000 and have to redo another motor .So if I buy a short block they can build it the way I want with for the top-end I already have

·
Registered
601 Posts
Roots style are a little more pricey but they make insta-power in almost all RPM-range. Also sound SICK when they whine!
Centrifugal are cheaper, make gradual linear boost but generally flow better in upper RPMS. Centrifugals might also be a little more gentle on the drivetrain than the Roots as the boost builds.

I don't know much about Vortec ... someone who does will post. Procharger kits include an intercooler and self-contained lubrication ... meaning NO oil plumbing like a turbo or other SC setups.

·
Wiser by the Minute
1,498 Posts
If you have the Cash get a Twin Screw --- You will have more fun on the street. Opt for the BIG one though so you have room for advancement when you build your short block.

If you have a limeted budget I would do some research here and piece together a Centi Kit. I did it that way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts