Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Shoulda had a V8
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my end-goal is to boost my six. What other engine parts would I need to facilitate it? Not necessarily a cam or ported exhaust/heads (which more complement boost) but stuff that's legitimately necessary before you throw on a power adder, like heavier injectors, fuel pump, MAF, Tune, etc...?

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
Tune, bigger injectors, bigger pump, cooler plugs,8.8 rear end, different maf depending on application, bigger throttle body if necessary,i think that covers it

03cristian

·
Shoulda had a V8
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright then, that's fairly conclusive. I'll start pulling this list together first then. Is the 8.8 because the 7.5 can't handle the power gain?

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
Yes, But honestly Ive only heard one story of a 7.5 snapping. Probably cheaper to get a 8.8 swap than to build a 7.5 tlok
in my area its cheaper to build the 7.5
Because my tlok from a ranger was 70 bucks, my 4.10 gears were 70 bucks as well
A gt rear end that's for a new edge here runs about 300$
A rear end for a sn-95 is like 270 but won't do me any good since its so narrow

03cristian

·
R.A.D
5,413 Posts
in my area its cheaper to build the 7.5
Because my tlok from a ranger was 70 bucks, my 4.10 gears were 70 bucks as well
A gt rear end that's for a new edge here runs about 300$
A rear end for a sn-95 is like 270 but won't do me any good since its so narrow

03cristian
It depends on your area, If your not mechanically inclined and have to have labor done it can cost you $250-500 in my area. But if you find a 8.8 rear end at a picknpull place for 200 and bolt it on yourself, you got yourself a heck of a deal. Minus the cost to get the speedo fixed.

·
Fee Fie Foe Fum
1,724 Posts
My mach1 rear got picked up for $100 bucks because bass side axle was snapped off... Sill **** like that gets em for nothing all the time...

·
Fee Fie Foe Fum
1,724 Posts
Passenger side axle* and silly **** like that * is what I meant to say....stupid phone and im half awake.. :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
So my end-goal is to boost my six. What other engine parts would I need to facilitate it? Not necessarily a cam or ported exhaust/heads (which more complement boost) but stuff that's legitimately necessary before you throw on a power adder, like heavier injectors, fuel pump, MAF, Tune, etc...?
It depends on what your goals are. What are your horsepower goals? how do you plan to drive it?

People with stock engines/maf/fuel system have made up to around 280-300rwhp. Thats about where the stock maf/fuel pump will max out at. It also depends on do you want to put in the correct supporting mods, or just the mods that will make it work.

If you're just looking for something to run along the street where youre hitting hte high rpms occasionally, then the stock system could work for the 280-300rwhp. If you're drag racing it every weekend past the redline constantly then chances are it won't.

Basically everything depends on how youre going to use it, but for most turbos people will get 36-42lb injectors, 255-310lph fuel pump, either a lightnining 90mm MAF or a SCT MAF, and typically change up the rear to hold more power (either tlok for the 7.5 which are a pain to find now new or get an 8.8)

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
Oh yeah suspension as well, but its not 100% necessary, but some adjustable upper/lower control arms, with some adjustable shocks, better rated springs
Some fat tires, also you need the power to stop the tires maybe a cobra brake upgrade,hawkpads,drill slotted rotors all that good stuff
03cristian

·
Shoulda had a V8
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you're just looking for something to run along the street where youre hitting hte high rpms occasionally, then the stock system could work for the 280-300rwhp. If you're drag racing it every weekend past the redline constantly then chances are it won't.
Definitely something for the street, but also a DD. That's why I wanna make sure everything else in the car is well within its tolerances, so nothing starts breaking.

Tires I was thinking of but like better struts/coils? So adjustable control arms, shocks, larger tires and better brakes? Sounds even more expensive... :baller:

I'm planning on putting most of this on before the actual power adder, but in regards to that, should I go M112? Vortech? Turbo? Keep in mind I'm looking for something that will be 85-90% bolt on, and I don't need ridiculous power gains, just a good kick in the pants. Being cheaper is also a good thing.
:bubba:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Definitely something for the street, but also a DD. That's why I wanna make sure everything else in the car is well within its tolerances, so nothing starts breaking.

Tires I was thinking of but like better struts/coils? So adjustable control arms, shocks, larger tires and better brakes? Sounds even more expensive... :baller:

I'm planning on putting most of this on before the actual power adder, but in regards to that, should I go M112? Vortech? Turbo? Keep in mind I'm looking for something that will be 85-90% bolt on, and I don't need ridiculous power gains, just a good kick in the pants. Being cheaper is also a good thing.
:bubba:
I would suggest looking into a vortech setup for something that you wont be getting on a ton but are looking for something that can move when you need it to. Its not the fastest, but AM has a kit (~4k), and you can find used kits with everything you need to bolt onto a stock car for around 2-3k

·
Shoulda had a V8
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found a kit on teh Ebayz for $2800. $4k seems a bit steep...:shiftyeyes

Just kidding. Did more research, procharger kits seem poopy, im probably gonna look for a used Vortech V3 and assemble the system myself. Save some $$$. What kind of numbers could I be reaching with an intercooled system and stock internals?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have procharger 9lbs dynoed today on stock mass air flow stock pump and stock injectors pulled 267 rwhp and 269 ft lb tq not bad but at 4k and 6lb of boost mass air flow injectors and pump pegged out and I went strait lean now gotta start building it right before I go through a motor my tuner recommended I use 60# pound injectors
Slot style maff sadle pro m
Air motive fuel pump and be said I should be set to come back and see 300 or so

·
Raging Mad Motherfucker
1,050 Posts
Absolutely Necessary For Higher boost reliability

Forged Internals
42-60 lbs/hr fuel injectors
ARP Head Studs
ARP Rod Bolts
This fuel pump hat + pumps
http://www.ebay.com/itm/On3-96-04-M...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20cda83c89

Transmission

4r70w
-2500 to 3000 stall (Revmax or Dirty Dawg Performance)
-Heavy duty Trans fluid cooler
-J-Mod

T-5
-Sell T-5
-Buy t56 or 4r70w

8.8 rear with carbon fiber clutches

·
Shoulda had a V8
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@dws that sounds about right for 9psi, what do you have on your car right now?

@Cheeky I don't wanna be running like 15-20psi boost, I'm looking for something like 10-12 max, just enough to break 300hp/tq basically.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
Alright lets do this:
-----------------------
Technically if you were to stay on a 3.6 psi spring (turbo) the stock fuel system can handle that. So that would mean you really only need a turbo kit. Now most people couldn't keep a 3.6 psi spring for a week if life depended on it so.

Injectors
*most common 39lb/blue/03 cobra stock injectors
Fuel pump
*most comon "255 svt focus pump"

That + turbo kit or supercharger kit = as much as you really need.

To go past that to be some what reliable:
- 8.8 rear end
- Clutch (if your 5speed car)

---------
Then if you get bored, or blow a motor you can forge the bottom end.

At which point you can turn the boost up, then your fuel pump may or may not keep up (same with injectors)

Which means
60# injectors
and
KB boost a pump
(if thats not enough fuel)
03 cobra tank or pumps + boost a pump

IF THAT'S NOT ENOUGH FUEL TO MAKE YOU HAPPY PREPARE TO SPEND SOME BIG $ ON FUEL MODS :D (or go return style)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Car is completely stock which I found out yesterday but now I know why my car has been having unexplained problems but now I am going to build it new pipes and couplings upgrading too svt ford pump possibly then maf and injectors I have 44# right now but they are just not cutting it ill try to post dyno graph with air fuel ratio on here so you can see I go from steady rich ---------\_________ to lean tuner only did one pull because he said he doesn't believe in tunning a car which needs parts bc it is lean and he said he would feel bad if I called him an hour latter asking how much he would charge to build a motor

1 - 20 of 24 Posts