Modded Mustang Forums banner

Parts Necessary Before Boost?

986 views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  v6procharged 
#1 ·
So my end-goal is to boost my six. What other engine parts would I need to facilitate it? Not necessarily a cam or ported exhaust/heads (which more complement boost) but stuff that's legitimately necessary before you throw on a power adder, like heavier injectors, fuel pump, MAF, Tune, etc...?

#2 ·
Tune, bigger injectors, bigger pump, cooler plugs,8.8 rear end, different maf depending on application, bigger throttle body if necessary,i think that covers it

03cristian

#9 ·
It depends on what your goals are. What are your horsepower goals? how do you plan to drive it?

People with stock engines/maf/fuel system have made up to around 280-300rwhp. Thats about where the stock maf/fuel pump will max out at. It also depends on do you want to put in the correct supporting mods, or just the mods that will make it work.

If you're just looking for something to run along the street where youre hitting hte high rpms occasionally, then the stock system could work for the 280-300rwhp. If you're drag racing it every weekend past the redline constantly then chances are it won't.

Basically everything depends on how youre going to use it, but for most turbos people will get 36-42lb injectors, 255-310lph fuel pump, either a lightnining 90mm MAF or a SCT MAF, and typically change up the rear to hold more power (either tlok for the 7.5 which are a pain to find now new or get an 8.8)

#12 ·
If you're just looking for something to run along the street where youre hitting hte high rpms occasionally, then the stock system could work for the 280-300rwhp. If you're drag racing it every weekend past the redline constantly then chances are it won't.
Definitely something for the street, but also a DD. That's why I wanna make sure everything else in the car is well within its tolerances, so nothing starts breaking.

Tires I was thinking of but like better struts/coils? So adjustable control arms, shocks, larger tires and better brakes? Sounds even more expensive... :baller:

I'm planning on putting most of this on before the actual power adder, but in regards to that, should I go M112? Vortech? Turbo? Keep in mind I'm looking for something that will be 85-90% bolt on, and I don't need ridiculous power gains, just a good kick in the pants. Being cheaper is also a good thing.
:bubba:

#11 ·
Oh yeah suspension as well, but its not 100% necessary, but some adjustable upper/lower control arms, with some adjustable shocks, better rated springs
Some fat tires, also you need the power to stop the tires maybe a cobra brake upgrade,hawkpads,drill slotted rotors all that good stuff
03cristian

#15 ·
I found a kit on teh Ebayz for $2800. $4k seems a bit steep...:shiftyeyes

Just kidding. Did more research, procharger kits seem poopy, im probably gonna look for a used Vortech V3 and assemble the system myself. Save some $$$. What kind of numbers could I be reaching with an intercooled system and stock internals?

#16 ·
I have procharger 9lbs dynoed today on stock mass air flow stock pump and stock injectors pulled 267 rwhp and 269 ft lb tq not bad but at 4k and 6lb of boost mass air flow injectors and pump pegged out and I went strait lean now gotta start building it right before I go through a motor my tuner recommended I use 60# pound injectors
Slot style maff sadle pro m
Air motive fuel pump and be said I should be set to come back and see 300 or so

#17 ·
Absolutely Necessary For Higher boost reliability

Forged Internals
42-60 lbs/hr fuel injectors
ARP Head Studs
ARP Rod Bolts
This fuel pump hat + pumps
http://www.ebay.com/itm/On3-96-04-M...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20cda83c89

Transmission

4r70w
-2500 to 3000 stall (Revmax or Dirty Dawg Performance)
-Heavy duty Trans fluid cooler
-J-Mod

T-5
-Sell T-5
-Buy t56 or 4r70w

8.8 rear with carbon fiber clutches

#19 ·
Alright lets do this:
-----------------------
Technically if you were to stay on a 3.6 psi spring (turbo) the stock fuel system can handle that. So that would mean you really only need a turbo kit. Now most people couldn't keep a 3.6 psi spring for a week if life depended on it so.

Injectors
*most common 39lb/blue/03 cobra stock injectors
Fuel pump
*most comon "255 svt focus pump"

That + turbo kit or supercharger kit = as much as you really need.

To go past that to be some what reliable:
- 8.8 rear end
- Clutch (if your 5speed car)

---------
Then if you get bored, or blow a motor you can forge the bottom end.

At which point you can turn the boost up, then your fuel pump may or may not keep up (same with injectors)

Which means
60# injectors
and
KB boost a pump
(if thats not enough fuel)
03 cobra tank or pumps + boost a pump

IF THAT'S NOT ENOUGH FUEL TO MAKE YOU HAPPY PREPARE TO SPEND SOME BIG $ ON FUEL MODS :D (or go return style)

#21 ·
Injectors
*most common 39lb/blue/03 cobra stock injectors
Fuel pump
*most comon "255 svt focus pump"

That + turbo kit or supercharger kit = as much as you really need.

To go past that to be some what reliable:
- 8.8 rear end
- Clutch (if your 5speed car)
Hahaha, exactly. This is what I thought would be necessary. I just had my clutch redone with OEM parts. It'll be a while before I get all this together but it should probably do fine right?

@dws, Yea man that sounds good. Thanks for the info

#20 ·
Car is completely stock which I found out yesterday but now I know why my car has been having unexplained problems but now I am going to build it new pipes and couplings upgrading too svt ford pump possibly then maf and injectors I have 44# right now but they are just not cutting it ill try to post dyno graph with air fuel ratio on here so you can see I go from steady rich ---------\_________ to lean tuner only did one pull because he said he doesn't believe in tunning a car which needs parts bc it is lean and he said he would feel bad if I called him an hour latter asking how much he would charge to build a motor

#24 ·
@dws1006 the injectors are definately not your problem. you will need to upgrade the stock fuel pump and the stock maf. or just get a diablosport MAFia for your stock maf.

@op, im actually selling my procharger kit. holding it for a guy atm but holla at me if youre interested. it will be a tuner kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.