Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
soooo when i try and roll downt the window it wont roll down i hear nothing at all maybe its a fuse or sum could it be the motor?
because motor doesnt make noise when button is clicked
on noise is click from button

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
Mine has the same issue, but ONLY fails from the drivers button... hmmm

It will go up/down from passenger side and ONLY up from the drivers side. I need to get into the drivers door and see if a wire is loose or something :dunno

Jazzer has approved a subscription to this thread :)

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
I had a problem in my Jeep similar to Jazzer. On the driver's side, I could unlock the doors, but it wouldn't lock them. On the passenger's side, I could do both. It was a broken wire where the loom comes out of the door and into the cab.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
i have this exact same problem, there was a thread made a long time ago about it that i happened to come a cross when i first started having this problem.

we came to the conclusion that it just needed a new switch. like the one you can buy here:
Ford Mustang OEM Power Window Switch (94-04) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Not for sure if that will fix it or not, but that is what i am going to try when i feel like shelling out the 25 bucks for it. lol ima cheap ass.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 99 Cobra, it would work from the drivers side switch but not the passenger side switch. I just replaced the switch in the passenger door today and it works fine now. If yours doesn't work from either door switch then it's probably the window motor in the door. As a test, take the door panel off, then you'll see the end of the motor peeking through a round hole, about the size of a silver dollar. Take a hammer and give it a good whack on the end of the motor. Sometimes that'll free up a stuck motor. If this does get it going though, chances are very good you're eventually going to have to replace that motor because it'll get stuck again.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 99 Cobra, it would work from the drivers side switch but not the passenger side switch. I just replaced the switch in the passenger door today and it works fine now. If yours doesn't work from either door switch then it's probably the window motor in the door. As a test, take the door panel off, then you'll see the end of the motor peeking through a round hole, about the size of a silver dollar. Take a hammer and give it a good whack on the end of the motor. Sometimes that'll free up a stuck motor. If this does get it going though, chances are very good you're eventually going to have to replace that motor because it'll get stuck again.
this is how mine is as well, driver side can only roll the window down but not up. passenger side can do both.....Good to know that a new switch will take care of it for sure. Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Say thanks guys im defietly gonna look jntkgettig that hopegullyy it works
But u thinknima needa get 2 since neither side work lol

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
hmm, well since neither switch works it could be the motor? idk for sure. did both of them stop working at the same time? i think it'd be kind of unlikely for both switches to stop working at the same time. i'd prob try and make sure its not the motor before you try and just get a new switch. but if you do just try the switch anyways, i would just buy one to make sure it fixes the problem, then buy the other one if it does fix it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea thats what i was thinkin at furst it was te motor but not to sure ill check the motor just in case first :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a problem on my driver side window not to long ago where it was stuck down and the switch didn't do anything to it. After some browsing I found one form that said if you hit the door right where the window motor is it can jar it into working again. So I took the paneling off and tried it and sure enough the window started rolling up and down perfectly and it has since then.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
The problem I fixed just this morning and after testing it yesterday, proved the switch was bad. I picked up a new one and plugged it into the socket to restore operation. The switch works for any of the two drivers door, as well as the passenger one.

Was $26.04 at Ford, for those with the same issue as I.

Jazzer :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So just did wat gdl told me to do and yep it was te motor stuck sigh guess ill look into getting a new lol :/

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you push the switch and you hear nothing it's usually the motor/fuse. If you push the switch and you hear the motor but the window does not move it's the regulator. You can also take two jumper wires and a battery from a cordless drill and test the motor. That way you can eliminate the switch or a wiring problem.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
The problem I fixed just this morning and after testing it yesterday, proved the switch was bad. I picked up a new one and plugged it into the socket to restore operation. The switch works for any of the two drivers door, as well as the passenger one.

Was $26.04 at Ford, for those with the same issue as I.

Jazzer :)
I had the same problem as Jazzer. It was the switch. They are easy to change and interchangeable. To troubleshoot, you could swap the switches in the driver's door. If the problem changes sides you know its the switch.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea turns out the motor had stalled and just tapped it a lil with a hammer and
It started worken again :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Even when the hammer trick works, I can virtually guarantee you it'll happen again. If you decide to replace just the motor and reuse the regulator, be VERY careful about the spring that's on it. You need to wedge something into the half-moon shaped toothed gear that the motor runs against in order to lock it in place. If you don't, when you remove the motor that spring WILL snap back with enough force to cause serious injury. I've done one of our cars just the motor and another one with the entire regulator assembly. Much safer to do the assembly, and not that much more expensive. The motor alone will cost somehere in the vicinity of $50. You can get the assemblies from AM for $90 less the discount if you have the code.
Results for window motor - AmericanMuscle.com

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
i just changed my switch today! problem solved!!! cept now i have broken clip on my door trim piece :sorry

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmmm thanks dude might look into getting the whole regulator and motor then i just want my window rollin down :)
Aint nun etter then riden with window down after u washed polished abd waxed ur car :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine has the same issue, but ONLY fails from the drivers button... hmmm

It will go up/down from passenger side and ONLY up from the drivers side. I need to get into the drivers door and see if a wire is loose or something :dunno

Jazzer has approved a subscription to this thread :)
I have a 98 mustang. My driver side button that controls my passenger window stopped working. I bought I new button, nothing. The other buttons works. Does anyone know what this could be..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts