Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up a new job (three in total) to help me put some work in my car faster and have it nice by summer. (I got a second job for the same reason lol) My original plans for this check and some saved from my last was to do gears and a tune next weekend. But this check was way more than I was expecting and Im thinking if I save good enough, by the end of December I could have enough to go FI or to find a motor with lower miles and build it up and run N/A until tax return then throw on a blower.

What do you guys think? Its rain season here and I wont be getting on my car that much, so I think gears would be a waste to put in, at least until the roads dry up when I can really enjoy them with a tune.Its starting to rain hard and I actually try to stay away from driving now but Im stuck now.... I thought I had everything planned out for my build.

My original goals were to do:
Gears/Tune
Blower
Suspension
Cosmetics

Now Im more worried about the engine for some reason even though it runs strong. So my new goals are:
Used engine w/ less miles
Blower
suspension
gears/tune
cosmetics

My goals for my DD are atleast 370rwhp, Im open to any ideas or opinions. Keep in mind that Im a college kid still paying for books and any big mods will be have to be saved for over time. current engine/tranny has 152k

·
Garage Built
1,098 Posts
Id save up for a blower man. Do a good setup with a good tune and keep it below 400hp. You will have a blast driving man, once thats all done and your happy with your car save up to build your motor. Those are my plans, im also a college freshman so money is really tight haha. But i managed to buy a vortech kit with everuthing needed minus the bap for $1350. Keep an eye out and you will get great deals.

·
MM's V6 Hater
13,422 Posts
Ive got a blower for sale...

After you buy a blower, keep saving for a forged motor. 400HP will get boring quick. I thought 460 got boring after 3 weeks.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Id save up for a blower man. Do a good setup with a good tune and keep it below 400hp. You will have a blast driving man, once thats all done and your happy with your car save up to build your motor. Those are my plans, im also a college freshman so money is really tight haha. But i managed to buy a vortech kit with everuthing needed minus the bap for $1350. Keep an eye out and you will get great deals.
Yea im a freshman too haha, I saw a complete kit vortech kit minus the MAF for $800 a few weeks ago but I had bills to pay :facepalm:

Ive got a blower for sale...

After you buy a blower, keep saving for a forged motor. 400HP will get boring quick. I thought 460 got boring after 3 weeks.
Ill pm you.

Yea most people are saying that on here but I want to switch to a manual tranny so that bring back the fun for awhile

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
How long have you had your car to add to that 152k? The only thing about picking up a used engine is it can be a gamble bc you don't know the history on it. What kind of budget are you working with over a span of a few months since you said you would have to save?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Id say supercharger as long as you have the time and money to do it rite. If not then go with gears for now they add alot of fun factor to driving for the money compared to stock gears forsure, just get a good set like ford racing

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How long have you had your car to add to that 152k? The only thing about picking up a used engine is it can be a gamble bc you don't know the history on it. What kind of budget are you working with over a span of a few months since you said you would have to save?
I've had the car since may and got it with 145k on it. Majority of the ones I've put on have been highway. And yes I'd have to save over the span of a month or two to do any big mods.
Are you saying you're an auto and you want to get rid of it? :facepalm:
yea haha, I don't do much racing,its mainly a street car to have fun in aswell as a DD

Id say supercharger as long as you have the time and money to do it rite. If not then go with gears for now they add alot of fun factor to driving for the money compared to stock gears forsure, just get a good set like ford racing
Yea I'd save to everything right then install. I have a set of frpp 4.10 but it will be around $700 after install, rebuild/bearings and a tune. I think it would be better to put it into a blower instead

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I'd say save for a forged motor, you never know when it's gonna pop, mine did at 87k.. I'm in college too, work a **** load and save every penny for a sick motor, heads, cams etc.. then later when you have money to spend buy a blower.. just my opinion

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
do yourself a favor and do not spend that much money on your car if you are in college. The best thing you can do is save any kind of money you are making now.

I'm not saying to not spend some on the car here and there, but if you are working 3 jobs while in school just so you can work on a car then that is a horrible idea. I know i'm gonna get flamed for tha tstatement but it is entirely true.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
do yourself a favor and do not spend that much money on your car if you are in college. The best thing you can do is save any kind of money you are making now.

I'm not saying to not spend some on the car here and there, but if you are working 3 jobs while in school just so you can work on a car then that is a horrible idea. I know i'm gonna get flamed for tha tstatement but it is entirely true.
100% agree, can't say i didn't listen to my own advice

·
Garage Built
1,098 Posts

How dare you!!... Lol jk, you are right. The last thing he wants to do is work his ass off and burn himself out. Happened to me my senior year and my grades went to crap because i was so burnt out that i no longer cared.

But if hes not interfering with his school schedule and him getting his work done he should be able to spend some money on his car. Idk it just might be the young and niave in me but i saved all the money i could to supercharge my car. It would be money that i wouldve eventually spent eating out and other stuff that isnt needed.

·
Registered
11,185 Posts

That's actually not bad advice OP. Unless you know you have some personal disposable cash to work with. I know personally even though i could have I didn't even use the money that I was being payed from the military/paychecks to finance my blower setup. I didn't use savings either I was using the money from the sale of my 4th motorcycle to finance it completely so I didn't have to touch my account. But you only live once and you know what you want I say just put some serious planning and thought into it bc it can be a pretty penny.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Bingo bongo.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts

exactly what i meant little mods fine but to do a supercharger setup it almost always is going to cost more than you think unless your a pro builder and know everything like most people on the internet lmao jk but seriously

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
That's actually not bad advice OP. Unless you know you have some personal disposable cash to work with. I know personally even though i could have I didn't even use the money that I was being payed from the military/paychecks to finance my blower setup. I didn't use savings either I was using the money from the sale of my 4th motorcycle to finance it completely so I didn't have to touch my account. But you only live once and you know what you want I say just put some serious planning and thought into it bc it can be a pretty penny.
yup mine is my snowmobile plus some :facepalm: its going to be a boring winter but cant wait for spring

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
None of my work is interfering with school, I make that a top priority. as far as wasting away, the majority of my cash gets spent on food, gas and just anything I want at the moment. I hate to say it but Im horrible with money. The only time Ive actually started saving was when I decided to do my gears. Other than that I really dont have any expenses besides insurance and my phone. Everything else has been paid for, I guess thats why I want to go a boosted so I can see where my money is going instead of throwing it away on junk food and going out.

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
Just reading your last post. Yeah buying junkfood and eating at mcdonalds every day is definitely a waste but going out is important. Balance is important. I try and hold back on spending too much on the car because then I feel guilty.

I work full time and go to school part time. I've saved an okay amount, nothing spectacular, but I never go lower that a certain amount. I also try and cut back on spending money on food but I try and reassure myself that I have enough to go out and enjoy myself, as long as it is with friends and not just killing boredom.

You're understood though. Cars are a lifestyle. You really do have to pay to play. But those that are only thinking/breathing cars need to strike a balance - it will only consume you, and it's no fun when you have a nice car but nowhere to take it too because you're saving for the next part.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts