Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a wrecked '97, with a good brain. The 98 i just bought has a wonky PCM, it would seem. It's not affecting the actual running of the car, but my speedo (and therefore odo) dont work, along with a couple of other things (dome lights, power locks, etc). An earlier forum post had me checking out a sensor, that didn't help. Wiring is good. After consulting my Haynes manual, I'm thinking it's some bad connections in my PCM. The question that burns in my mind is would I be able to just toss the other computer in the new car? My instinct is no. Am I wrong?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Also check which model of PATS both years had. I believe ford changed them on some odd years.

Sent from nowhere.

·
SpamBOT
91 Posts
if i remember right it is the same but i cant remember. the PCM in my car is 1996 but the motor and sensors are 1995. Part numbers dont lie so definately check em

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have a wrecked '97, with a good brain. The 98 i just bought has a wonky PCM, it would seem. It's not affecting the actual running of the car, but my speedo (and therefore odo) dont work, along with a couple of other things (dome lights, power locks, etc). An earlier forum post had me checking out a sensor, that didn't help. Wiring is good. After consulting my Haynes manual, I'm thinking it's some bad connections in my PCM. The question that burns in my mind is would I be able to just toss the other computer in the new car? My instinct is no. Am I wrong?
if i remember correctly all these you mentioned are powered from fuse 8 in car. see if it has blown fuse or power on either side

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. What I'm looking at is the part numbers for the computers are exactly the same. The codes on the casings are different. The one for the 97 says HYY1, the 98 says HHU1. What, exactly, do those codes mean? When I was getting the tunes set up on my chip, they were pretty hard core about getting that code right. Otherwise, the two cars are identical through the drivetrain and it seems like the swap would work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts