Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so Ford makes an EGR delete for the 3.8l... well actually its for the 4.6 but it fits the 3.8l. Got that much, its a blank plate with a gasket that bolts on to the block at the EGR location and plugs the hole. Also comes with a plug for the exhaust header/manifold. I understand I need to turn off the EGR on a tune to avoid a cel. Anything else on the EGR side?

PCV... okay I found a write up but its hard to follow and does not list what parts I need ahead of time, anyone done one of these for the 3.8l and could list the misc parts, tools, and about how long it took? Thanks.

A link to a write up anywhere other than SSMS would be worth some reps too.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
there is ZERO benefit to deleting your EGR, your egr exhists to help lower combustion temperatures by adding inert (meaning its not going to burn) exhaust gas to your combustion chamber. Deleting your PCV really doesnt net you any benfits either, but if youre going F/I then its a good idea to look into a catch can setup.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going FI in the very near future.

The write up at SSMS made it sound like I needed breathers for both sides of the motor and had a lot of holes to plug and cap. Here's the link http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/pdf/PCVBypass.pdf

That write up is in serious need of some editing to break apart what each motor era needs done to it. So for an 01 I'm looking at two small breathers and an assortments of caps and plugs... am I missing anything?

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
Leave the PCV. Not only does it remove condensation and blow-by build-up in the crankcase, but it has been found to be beneficial to have a slight vacuum in the crankcase.

As for the EGR. Chunk that ****..

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
@ your Sig. Super chargers and under-drive don't mix. Unless you are looking to run the M112 kit.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
I'd recommend leaving the PCV. I've heard some people have had some issues with breathers and ended up scrapping them. A catch can would be a better choice.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@ your Sig. Super chargers and under-drive don't mix. Unless you are looking to run the M112 kit.
I originally planned on running an M112 but after a thread and a very good discussion I've decided to go Procharger I need to update my siggy thanks for reminding me :-D

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
The only benefit to removing the egr is that it cleans up the engine bay a bit. I would say get rid of it if you don't have emissions testing but keep all the parts that you take off incase you ever have to put it back on for whatever reason.

As for the pcv I would recommend keeping that and adding a nice catch can setup.

·
Zippy's Resident Milf
5,592 Posts
I have a 4.6, but removing the EGR cleaned up the engine bay a LOT...

Before....

After...

Do you have emission testing where you're at?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nope no emissions here in Ohio. Now What do I do with the line that connects to the top of the EGR? disconnect on both ends and plug or change the T to a straight through?

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Nope no emissions here in Ohio. Now What do I do with the line that connects to the top of the EGR? disconnect on both ends and plug or change the T to a straight through?
like the small red and green hoses?

IIRC one comes completely off and the other will plug into the upper intake

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mine are wrapped in black not sure of the color on them but its a line from the drivers side and passenger side that come together in a T join on top of the EGR valve. I believe this works the diaphragm inside the EGR.

I'm deleting the EGR system because I've had replaced and cleaned three times by three different shops and I'm still having EGR codes thrown and each shop keeps telling me the valves are getting too hot and the diaphragm is melting.

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
Remove egr. Install catch can. You can make one for about twenty bucks in parts.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did both of these, egr was a bitch to remove.Ended up having to cut the pipe from the egr to the header. It came out of the header with ease after we warmed the manifold up a bit. The gasket that ford sells with the block off plate was a little to bit but a little razor blade trim after it was tight fixed the over sizing issue.

As for the PCV, I installed a catch can and in the near future I'm going to take the bleed off valve off the catch can and install a small drip line from the filter tube to the oil cap and that should make a return system. I'll return later with how that worked.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts