Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is burning oil and idling rough. It rpm's seem to hang-up sometimes around 2k when I push in the clutch. And the oil consumption has been noticeably bad for the past 4 months. The car has NEVER gone through this much oil. At first, it only seemed like it was burning it on start up. So I took the car in. They did a compression leak-down . . . it checked out fine. I had them replace the valve seals . . . which they confirmed had some issues. That was two weeks ago. Got the car back and it "seemed" to be better. But about a week ago . . . it all starts up again. Puffing smoke on start-up . . . bad idle, etc. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

So now I'm thinking . . . PCV Valve? However, the shop told me that the PCV is built into the valve cover on 2005 models and you have to buy an entire new valve cover to replace it. Are you ****ing shiting me??? That sounds completely insane!!! It's like making your damn oil filter a permanent piece of the engine when you know that it will eventually need to be replaced. If Ford really did this, I must say . . . somebody is a ****ing dumb ass!!!

Can anybody confirm that this is actually true? If so, WHY?

·
2011 September ROTM
1,868 Posts
try unhooking it and run a breather and see if it fixes it. it it doesn't you might have some serious issues

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
man i don't think the pcv is your problem. have some competent mechanics take a look at it
Point taken . . . but what are you thinking?

I'm not a mechanic . . . but from everything that I have been trying to research on it . . . it's either in the valves or piston rings. I doubt it's in the piston rings because the compression test was fine. So . . . valves? I just had the cams done in May . . . and this seemed to begin after the cam install. I took it back to the same shop that did the cams. They suspected the valve seals since it seemed to be puffing smoke on the start up. The valve seals were replaced. They said that they looked at the guides as well and they appeared to be good.

My car only has about 57k miles on it. With the valve seals now being brand new and the compression test checking out . . . plus the shitty idle . . . the PCV seemed plausible? You think it's something else?

In any regard, the PCV is cheap. I was just told that to replace it . . . you needed to replace the entire valve cover . . . which seemed completely retarded to me. So, I'm willing to give it a try just to find out.

How do I get it out? Anything special? Where is it on the valve cover? Is there one on both valve covers or just one side?

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
there's one on both valve covers. i've never taken em off but from what i understand they come right off with a lil finesse

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok . . . from what I gather . . . these are supposed to be the locations of the PCV on the 05's. I got the hoses off no problem . . . but where is the PCV? All I see is a metal tube on each side . . . each of which does not look like it comes out. There is nowhere to put a wrench. Do you just pull them out somehow?

Check out these pics. Sorry for the grainy quality . . . all I could get on my phone for now.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
there's one on both valve covers. i've never taken em off but from what i understand they come right off with a lil finesse
Nope...only on driver's side valve cover.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope...only on driver's side valve cover.
DiMora - Is the pic that I have on the Driver's side the correct location for the PCV? If so, where is it . . . and more directly . . . how do I replace it.

I have searched of few threads and found some breather set ups that deleted the pcv. But those breathers were located on both sides. Check out these pics:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
DiMora - Is the pic that I have on the Driver's side the correct location for the PCV? If so, where is it . . . and more directly . . . how do I replace it.

I have searched of few threads and found some breather set ups that deleted the pcv. But those breathers were located on both sides. Check out these pics:
Correct, there is a metal tube on each valve cover that is for PCV. I think there is something else causing your problem. My suggestion is to try the breathers out like Boss and myself have.

<b><font color=red>FREE SHIPPING!</font></b><br>CFM Billet Valve Cover Breather Kit for 2005-08 Ford Mustang GT - 1-1020

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're the second person who has said that they do not think it is the PCV. I'm just hoping it's that simple. But, I'm still just wondering . . . where is the damn pcv at? If I search the part on the napa site . . . it gives me a part. It's got to be in there somewhere. Do I have to pull the valve covers to get to it?

Btw . . . kick ass set up

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had thought that the breathers just replaced the PCV valve . . . but now I am guessing that it just does not route the gases back into the intake? Still, from what I've read . . . it's probably about time to replace mine. There has to be a way. Like I said, I can find the part on line: http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Re...lve&Ntk=Keyword&N=599001+102005+50026+2026026

Just don't know where to put it once I've got it. If the PCV valve is bad, I will still need to fix it even if I do go with the breathers. Right?

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
The breathers let the gasses vent to atmosphere. This helps keep the butterflies on the CMCVs, throttle body, etc much cleaner. If you run a blower you have to worry about this dity, nasty oil getting on the intercooler which can't help cooling. I'd really recommend just ordering the two K&N filters and see if it fixes it. If it does, than go ahead and order the filter for the oil filler tube that I posted from CFM. If not than you know something else is wrong. It's only going to cost you $30. The breathers are a good set-up.

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
Yes you are correct that the actual PCV valve, or the piece that functions as such, is located in the valve cover. Yes if it is bad you have to get a whole new cover. Yes it is Stupid. I don't know if that is your issue though. Breathers do not replace the PCV valve. It changes the system from a closed loop system to an open system. There are some draw backs to an open breather system but I think they are outweighed by the advantages. whole other debate though.

Back to your issue. I don't think it is the PVC system, I could be wrong though. One way to find out though is to install a catch can and see if you gather an inordinate (good word) oil in there. If it doesn't at least it's a good mod to help keep your engine cleaner, so no real loss and you can eliminate the PCV as the culprit.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
The S197 does not use a typical PCV system.

What? There is a PCV line on each valve cover.

Yes you are correct that the actual PCV valve, or the piece that functions as such, is located in the valve cover. Yes if it is bad you have to get a whole new cover. Yes it is Stupid. I don't know if that is your issue though. Breathers do not replace the PCV valve. It changes the system from a closed loop system to an open system. There are some draw backs to an open breather system but I think they are outweighed by the advantages. whole other debate though.

Back to your issue. I don't think it is the PVC system, I could be wrong though. One way to find out though is to install a catch can and see if you gather an inordinate (good word) oil in there. If it doesn't at least it's a good mod to help keep your engine cleaner, so no real loss and you can eliminate the PCV as the culprit.
07 Boss has nailed it 100%. The rest of this thread is filled with misinformation.

The question was about the PCV VALVE. For the record, I don;t think that is your problem, but here is some information, and how to test it.

Here is the scoop guys: The factory setup uses ONE PCV VALVE. There are still two PCV ports, but ONLY the one on the driver's side has a PCV VALVE in it.

The PCV valve is a simple one-way check-valve, just like on any other car. The design failure lies in the fact that it is internal in the driver's side valve cover so it is not easy to replace.

From the Ford Mustang factory service manual:

The PCV valve lives here. Credit for this picture belongs to TacoBill over at Mustang Forums:

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Don't confuse the PCV VALVE with the breather option. It is apples and oranges. All breathers do is vent crankcase pressures to the atmosphere.

The factory system is a closed-loop system. It is designed to suck air out of the intake and deliver it into the passenger side valve cover...the engine block EXIT is the driver's side valve cover, where the blow-by is sucked into either the intake manifold if you are normally aspirated, or the supercharger intake elbow if you are blown:

Again, factory service manual reference:

And a "block diagram":

Before you go yanking your driver's side valve cover off, you can easily test the PCV valve. Heck, put a long rubber hose on the driver's side stem and blow into it - you should feel resistance. Then suck...there should NOT be resistance. Remember, all a PCV valve is is a one-way check valve to prevent combustion backfiring into the crankcase, as Ford stated above.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
that's not true at all
MMM, yes it is true. See above. PCV valve is integrated into the driver's side valve cover ONLY, and to replace it required removal and replacement of the DS valve cover. Perhaps you can remove the PCV valve and just replace it, but you still MUST remove the DS valve cover to do so...it is not a simple unplugging like on any other car...after seeing pics (which I will post shortly) I don't think it can be done.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts