Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done anything to adjust their pedals to make heel/toe easier? My accelerator is a good inch or so lower than the brake, so it's next to impossible without giving too much break.

I know different covers will help with the space between the two horizontally, but the fact that the gas is so low is killing me!

·
Registered
205 Posts
there is the gas pedal mod that takes out the slack of the gas pedal. That I think brings it up to the level of the brake pedal. Do a search for it.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
2 or 3 zip ties on throttle cable behind gas pedal. Made my gas pedal level with my brake. Heel-toe is sooooooooo easy.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Definitely a small person job. Got stuck a few times myself. Shoulders are too broad to be down there.

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
This one is even tricky for a small person (I'm 140lbs) but it DEFINITELY helps (just for feel as well as switching from gas to brake - I have an auto). I used a piece of thick rubber hose from the hardware store, cut a slit with a knife and put it on with hose clamps. It hasn't given me any trouble, but tightening those hose clamps is miserable!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
To make it even easier, you can use an automatic transmission brake pedal, my car used to be auto, when I swapped in for a 5spd, I kept the auto brake pedal for that particular reason.

It’s extremely easy with the throttle cable mod, and auto brake pedal.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
You just have to recognize that once you space it out, WOT is before the pedal hits the floor now, so if you try to slam the gas pedal into the floor, all you're doing is stretching the cable, and there's a possibility that it can break prematurely.

With the price that 96-98 Cobra and Bullitt throttle cables are going for nowadays, mine will stay where it is.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
You do know that without the spacer you never actually get to WOT cause there is still slack in the line... just sayin...

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
You do know that without the spacer you never actually get to WOT cause there is still slack in the line... just sayin...
i dont have a spacer and mine gets WOT with out it

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
That is 100% incorrect and inaccurate.....

I periodically take my intake tube off, have someone push the gas to the floor and verify that the throttle body is opening all the way. It does, and always has.

If yours doesn't without the spacers, then your throttle cable is already stretched out and needs to be replaced. If that is the case, then adding enough spacer so that the throttle body is fully open when the pedal is on the floor is a temporary fix, but adding them just to change the pedal height as mentioned above is going to cause WOT to be before the pedal hits the stop. Any pressure past that point leads to premature (and usually untimely) failure of the throttle cable itself.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
That is 100% incorrect and inaccurate.....

I periodically take my intake tube off, have someone push the gas to the floor and verify that the throttle body is opening all the way. It does, and always has.

If yours doesn't without the spacers, then your throttle cable is already stretched out and needs to be replaced. If that is the case, then adding enough spacer so that the throttle body is fully open when the pedal is on the floor, but adding them just to change the pedal height as mentioned above is going to cause WOT to be before the pedal hits the stop. Any pressure past that point leads to premature failure.
^this

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
If you're heel/toeing then you must be open tracking the car.

May I suggest these pedals for that purpose:

SRP MUSTANG RACE PEDALS

These are actual race pedals and not covers......

John

·
I Have A FLATULENT Butthole.
7,889 Posts
Hmm.... I never thought of the fact that it stretches the cable after the mod... might have to get my spacer out of there and deal wtith the pedal height... is there a way to cut the cable shorter?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts