Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Tini Tini Bo Bini
9,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im making one thread with alot of questions, so here goes.
a couple things first:
Ok so im not the most wealthy guy. I'm going to be buy this stuff seperately. because if i save money, its going somewhere else lol
Im going as much with steeda as I can.
I dont really know what i would need. Im mainly looking for a drop with nice handling.
Im not a car guy and the lowering guide confused the **** out of me, so try and dumb it down some.
The only things Ive picked out are Steeda Sport springs and Tokico D-specs.
I know ill need camber plates, but dont know whats good or not.

a little help and suggestions would be great :D

·
Banned
267 Posts
Im sure jazzer or one of the other suspension guys will chime in, but we would honestly need to know what you plan on doing with your car, before we could sugguest suspension pieces.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
And why only steeda? Not saying its bad just wondering?

·
Tini Tini Bo Bini
9,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im sure jazzer or one of the other suspension guys will chime in, but we would honestly need to know what you plan on doing with your car, before we could sugguest suspension pieces.
its my dd. I plan on putting a blower on a few years down the road but for now id just like a nice stance/well handling car.
And why only steeda? Not saying its bad just wondering?
Its a proven brand suspension wise

·
Tini Tini Bo Bini
9,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
probably not. i may try it once, but it wouldnt be a consistent thing.

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
Springs are good, but there are much better options out there for shocks and struts, they are a good bit more expensive though.

Oh and, if you are still running the stock Pirellis, just ditching those will increase the handling by a lot, because they suck big sweaty nut sacks.

·
Banned
267 Posts
Then I would sugguest springs, shocks, camber/caster plates, bumpsteer kit. Then later on you could do upper and lower control arms and a adjustable panhard bar. To tell you the truth the best thing I did to my car that changed the handling the most was good tires.

·
Tini Tini Bo Bini
9,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Springs are good, but there are much better options out there for shocks and struts, they are a good bit more expensive though.

Oh and, if you are still running the stock Pirellis, just ditching those will increase the handling by a lot, because they suck big sweaty nut sacks.
oh im sure theres a ton better, but thats a decent set for the price from the reviews ive seen. ill be replacing rims and tires after suspension because im close to 50k and heard the shocks would need replacing soon

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
Well, think of this, Nastystang just blew a set of d-specs after 15k miles and has had no help from the manufacturer.

Koni Sport Yellow shock and struts are $200 more expensive, and are miles ahead of the d-specs, and offer a lifetime warranty.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Yup 15,000 miles and my front Tokico D-Specs blew. That's garbage. I don't even road race the car. The car has seen some track days with low speed SCCA stuff, drag racing, and daily driver duty. I don't baby my car but I don't beat on it to the point where it should of blown the shocks. I have no rebound and dampening from the shocks and they won't adjust either. The Koni STR "Orange" which are $450 shipped are also great shocks from what I rear. I don't think you absolutely need adjustable and if you do the D-Specs aren't what you want. The adjustability on them is very poor.. I could set them perfectly and each side would feel different. Also the Koni Sports "Yellows" are in stock for the rear but everyone is on backorder for the fronts.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
The questoin comes into design of the shock. Something can work well but not be built well.

I have heard some people critisize the handling characteristics of a Bilstein for this car. Past debating that becuase its somewhat preference anyway. I have never heard anyone say that bilsteins are not the best built shock on the market. They have some patends on some things they do so you know the competition is doing it.

You could in the interest of full research go to bilsteins website and read about the valving, monotube design and construction of the shock and the arguments they make as to why they are the best, keeping full damping even when things heat up on the race track etc, then call Koni call Tokico and call whoever and ask them to "sell" their shock to you, why is it good, does it have this, does it have that, why not. Bilstein has that, why is yours just as good or better? Granted you are getting some sales pitch from both sides, but if you go in with specific questions then you get specific answers and then you can make a decision.

The issue of valving for me isnt that big of a deal with bilstein. First of all, i love the way they perform on track days and handling on the street and long rides. Its a compromise. Second reason is that for $60 on the back and $100 on the front I can have them revalved, make them stiffer if I want or softer if i want. With over 50K on them I have no problems and they have seen some rough things that broke other front suspension parts but not they came through.

They are built like a brick **** house and I challenge any vendor to argue that.

Plus look at resale value which is something I do regularly, resell my parts from my car. If the times comes i pull these bilsteins send them in have them revalved which is in essence a total rebuild then sell them for $500? $450? I paid what $400 total with rebuild for a shocks that i drove for 100K or more?

Just throwing it out there. If you do call Koni and they tell you whats good about them Id love to hear it.

·
Tini Tini Bo Bini
9,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
is a coil over just the fact that the strut/shock is in the middle of the spring? isnt that how the stock suspension is?

·
Banned
267 Posts
A coilover is an automobile suspension device. "Coilover" is short for "coil spring over strut". It consists of a shock absorber (British: damper) with a coil spring encircling it. The shock absorber and spring are assembled as a unit prior to installation, and are replaced as a unit when the shock absorber has leaked. This provides for optimal damping without torsional loads. Some coilovers may be adjustable for ride height and stiffness, using a simple threaded spring perch similar to a nut.

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
i wouldn't wait too awful long for the adj panhard rod. i just got my springs and shocks on and it threw my rear way out. thank god i already had an adj panhard lol

·
June 2010 ROTM
1,913 Posts
Unfortunately, this is one area where, ask 10 guys the same question and you'll get 10 different answers.

I road race my car and I am running Steeda Sport Springs, only because the PO already installed them. That being said, they are very good, drivable springs.

I also use Koni Yellow adjustable shocks. Overkill for a dd.

My opinion,
Steeda Sport Springs
Bilsteins
Steeda CC Plates
A good alignment.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Nice car. This is one area? Every area regarding cars is that area isnt it.

Unfortunately, this is one area where, ask 10 guys the same question and you'll get 10 different answers.

I road race my car and I am running Steeda Sport Springs, only because the PO already installed them. That being said, they are very good, drivable springs.

I also use Koni Yellow adjustable shocks. Overkill for a dd.

My opinion,
Steeda Sport Springs
Bilsteins
Steeda CC Plates
A good alignment.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts