Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up some clear (non-oem) fog lights off another member here, and I think I want to go with a 3000k HID kit from VVME (still considering the 4300k, but nothing higher than that for the fogs). So I have a couple questions:

1-Would you guys go with the 3000k or the 4300k? Wouldnt it be 3000k is better for poor weather conditions, but 4300k is the brighter one? Im leaning towards 3000k, since I have halogen headlights (I know in the end my opinion is all that matters, I just want to hear some other opinions).

2-Did any of you retrofit projectors for the HIDs? It looks like I wouldnt need to for fog lights, but what do you think? How is the beam pattern without projectors?

And if I go this route, dont expect any pictures soon, I am already planning to buy an intake spacer and I am trading my stock pullies and some money for some udps, so it'll be about a month or longer before i do this, just want to plan everything out.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
I would say no to the 3k hids... yellow never looks good imo. Go with the 4300k. I have heard projectors do not work with HIDs and its a PITA to make them work with them. However, that is what I have heard... no first hand experience.

and I see who got the udp's I was after... stupid forum system did not send me PMs that, in a nutshell, said Yes, I will take them :stickpoke

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
I have the 3000k for mine. I like the yellow fog light look. Plus with as much as it rains and gets foggy here, I wanted the best color for that.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would say no to the 3k hids... yellow never looks good imo. Go with the 4300k. I have heard projectors do not work with HIDs and its a PITA to make them work with them. However, that is what I have heard... no first hand experience.

and I see who got the udp's I was after... stupid forum system did not send me PMs that, in a nutshell, said Yes, I will take them :stickpoke
Thanks for the input! And what do you mean the projectors dont work? I can see how it would be a PITA though...just confused on the not working part :confused:
And sorry about taking your pullies :sorry, but if it makes you feel any better, your car is super sexy (as I have told you many times before) :D

I have the 3000k for mine. I like the yellow fog light look. Plus with as much as it rains and gets foggy here, I wanted the best color for that.
Thanks! I have seen a couple cars with yellow fogs, and I think it looks good. And did you retrofit projectors or leave them in the reflectors? If it wouldnt be too much trouble, could you take some pics looking at the fog lights and some output pics?

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
I sure will. It will not be until Sunday though. I should have put that I ordered them for mine. They are sitting in my garage still and I will not be able to get to them until Sunday. I will make sure I post some up though.

Reactions: white03v6

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
No biggie. I think I have decided to go with a M112 build once my car is not a DD anyways, so UDPs would be useless to me at that point.

I dont know... just persinally I think yellow fogs look... idk... dirty. Its kinda like my outlook on all black rims. With there bein no seperation from the tire and rim it makes it look dirty and not "clean" looking.

Some pure white fogs would look very clean and sleak to me. Yellow looks out of place unless its a turn signal...

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
I think yellow fogs look... idk... dirty. Yellow looks out of place unless its a turn signal...
Oh I have to respectfully disagree.

This is the same set of fogs I have going in this weekend.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No biggie. I think I have decided to go with a M112 build once my car is not a DD anyways, so UDPs would be useless to me at that point.

I dont know... just persinally I think yellow fogs look... idk... dirty. Its kinda like my outlook on all black rims. With there bein no seperation from the tire and rim it makes it look dirty and not "clean" looking.

Some pure white fogs would look very clean and sleak to me. Yellow looks out of place unless its a turn signal...
I get what you mean...I think the stock yellowish halogen bulbs look dirty, but with HIDs it is brighter and cleaner IMO. The pure white definitely looks more sleek and clean though, but the yellow would really be awesome since I get a lot of fog and rain here, and its pretty bad at times. :(

Oh I have to respectfully disagree.

This is the same set of fogs I have going in this weekend.
That looks really nice! Anybody know how bright the cobra fog lights are compared to the GT fog lights? Are they relatively the same?

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
That looks really nice! Anybody know how bright the cobra fog lights are compared to the GT fog lights? Are they relatively the same?
I would imagine its a bit brighter since it is, in all basics, larger. However will it be that noticeable from the driver seat? Prolly not...

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
1-Would you guys go with the 3000k or the 4300k? Wouldnt it be 3000k is better for poor weather conditions, but 4300k is the brighter one? Im leaning towards 3000k, since I have halogen headlights (I know in the end my opinion is all that matters, I just want to hear some other opinions).

2-Did any of you retrofit projectors for the HIDs? It looks like I wouldnt need to for fog lights, but what do you think? How is the beam pattern without projectors?
1) I would like to put 3000k HIDs in my fogs b/c yellow is better for foggy and bad weather conditions. Plus, I think they look awesome. But looks are up to you.

2) I don't have projectors in the fogs (and never heard of doing that) but I have retro fitted them into my extra set of headlights. They were E55 projectors and a COMPLETE PITA but the output is awesome. Plus I know there's no glare and I'm not blinding anyone.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1) I would like to put 3000k HIDs in my fogs b/c yellow is better for foggy and bad weather conditions. Plus, I think they look awesome. But looks are up to you.

2) I don't have projectors in the fogs (and never heard of doing that) but I have retro fitted them into my extra set of headlights. They were E55 projectors and a COMPLETE PITA but the output is awesome. Plus I know there's no glare and I'm not blinding anyone.
You wouldnt happen to have a write up on how you retrofitted those E55's would you? What did you get yours out of? Those are the ones in many BMW's right?

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
You wouldnt happen to have a write up on how you retrofitted those E55's would you? What did you get yours out of? Those are the ones in many BMW's right?
I got mine from eBay. I believe they are in the:

Nissan Maxima
Acura TSX
BMW E60, E65, X5, and Z4
Audi A6 and A8
Mercedes E, CLK, ML, and GL class

I don't have a write up but it's a simple concept. Bake the headlights apart (this is the most annoying part), cut the headlight location to fit the projectors (JB weld will be your friend), re-assemble. Check out youtube b/c there are some good videos on there.

I tinted my headlights b/c I think projectors look terrible on the Mustang.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My friend has a 330ci (E46 BMW if I'm not mistaken) and he's considering new headlights. If he does get them he's told me he'll give me his projectors. Ive heard the E55's are common for retrofits, what makes them so special? Do you think my friends would work fine? And if I do this I'll be doing it to my smoked headlights, so I wont have to see the projectors either :D

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
My friend has a 330ci (E46 BMW if I'm not mistaken) and he's considering new headlights. If he does get them he's told me he'll give me his projectors. Ive heard the E55's are common for retrofits, what makes them so special? Do you think my friends would work fine? And if I do this I'll be doing it to my smoked headlights, so I wont have to see the projectors either :D
They are very common bi-xenon projectors. They are also fairly cheap. That's why they are a common choice. I think pretty much any projector will work, especially if they're free. :)

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
Installing on Sunday homey. Will have them up that night.

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
Here are the pics of mine. Just got done installing them. 5k headlights and 3k foglights. Hope you like.

The roads are wet right now and I took it for a drive. The yellow is great in cutting out the glare and reflection on the road. Really glad I went this route.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts