Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
All Homo All The Time
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post pics of where you have to work on your car. Im lucky enough to have a back porch with a concrete slab barley big enough to fit 4 tires on.

I used to be in the dirt but after having a car fall off the jack stands I wont get under another one in dirt again.

Heres where I have to work. Tight space but it works. To all you people who have a garage or a shop hope you feel blessed.

·
I Eat Baby Stangs
3,928 Posts
When i used to live at home with my parents...

When i was living with my girlfriends parents...

and with where i live now...

Oh, wait, you said no shops :lol

·
meh
5,272 Posts
To all you people who have a garage or a shop hope you feel blessed.
I am. My dad has a shop. He just bought a 4 post lift last week too.

I've done my share of working on cars in apartment parking lots though.. from taking carburetors apart to clean trash out of idle jets, to tracing phantom wiring problems. I've spent several hours outside in front of an Auto Zone changing parts too. You gotta do what you gotta do.

It's always fun to have to crawl under a car (in your good clothes) in the dirt so you can short the starter solenoid with a screwdriver (non-Ford car of course).

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
on a gravel driveway,and at my dads house its a concrete driveway but i never work on my car over there in case i cant fix it lol

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
When I still lived at home I worked in this

For bigger things, i used this

Now I have this

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
Well, I have a garage, but I do the work in the driveway usually anyway because there is more room.

Not that you can tell much but this is in the driveway...

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Why that? You still have to jack up the car to take the tires off or do any type of suspension work. Only advantage I see is its safer cause the weight sits on the tires.
I dont have to jack the car up to get the wheels off. I lift the it and put jack stands under it then lower the lift. I dont like the way a 2 post lift, lifts the car. To me they are great for a truck but I can do just as much with a 4 post lift as I can with a 2 post lift. Plus you dont have to worry about tugging on something hard and the car coming off balanced

Plus some of the cars I work on are too low for the swing arms of a 2 post

·
Administrator
33,198 Posts
my parents have a few shops/garages, including an 8 car garage, but they're all full of cars so i always worked outside on the driveway. now i have my own two car garage and i still do all my work at my parents'. that's where all the tools are. lol

·
All Homo All The Time
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont have to jack the car up to get the wheels off. I lift the it and put jack stands under it then lower the lift. I dont like the way a 2 post lift, lifts the car. To me they are great for a truck but I can do just as much with a 4 post lift as I can with a 2 post lift. Plus you dont have to worry about tugging on something hard and the car coming off balanced

Plus some of the cars I work on are too low for the swing arms of a 2 post
I see. Ive worked with both and I prefer a frame lift cause I can work on the suspension standing up. You could do that on a drive on but you have to have 6ft tall jack stands. I get tired of laying down under a car working.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
I see. Ive worked with both and I prefer a frame lift cause I can work on the suspension standing up. You could do that on a drive on but you have to have 6ft tall jack stands. I get tired of laying down under a car working.
you dont need 6ft jack stands, you just need this

·
I Eat Baby Stangs
3,928 Posts
Thats my dream after I buy a house. I want to build a 30x40 shop with a 2 post lift.
Thats my dream too. My boss lets me have full run of the shop after hours and on the weekends, so that's where i do all of my work. I want to build my own garage when i get my own house so i dont have to take advantage of the shop.

·
meh
5,272 Posts
They each have their pros and cons...

The actual two post lift doesn't take up as much space when it's not in use, but you still need the whole area clean if you're actually going to lift and work on a car.. Rolling around a transmission jack and whatnot requires a lot of space around the lift.

A lot of the 4 post lifts have slideable jacks in between the runways so you can remove a transmission and the such.

I prefer the 4 post lifts over the 2 post lifts because you don't have to mess around with the arms, trying to keep the car level and balanced while lifting from strong areas of the car. If you have a 2 post lift and just want to change the oil, it's almost quicker to drive it up on a few blocks. With a 4 post, you just drive it on and raise it.

That, and if you're trying to work on the exhaust, you want it so the weight is on the wheels, so you know the pipes are going to clear the suspension when you set it back down.

Plus, now that my dad has a 4 post.. I can finally install some subframe connectors :)

We really do just about everything as far as working on cars.. my uncle (also my neighbor) has a 2 post lift in his shop. I've used that a lot over the years, but out of my vehicles, I've only lifted my pickup on it. I was kind of afraid to use it to lift my mustang, because I didn't want to bend anything. I wasn't real sure what parts of the subframe were the strongest lift points.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
My moms boyfriend has a driveway that he had put in a couple years ago and I use that but before that it was in the dirt at his place(where all the tools are) we used pieces of wood to hold the jackstands to keep them from sinking into the dirt. If I need to use a lift I can go to my uncles shop where he has like 8 2 post lifts, 1 4 post drive on lift, and an alignment rack, this is also where my tool box and all my tools are because that is the last place I worked and haven't found a new job yet.

·
Shake N' Bake
5,698 Posts
well i would have a 30x40 shop that my grandpa ran his mechanic shop out of, but years ago my uncle took 2 of the supports out and about a year ago the rain/weather finally brought part of it down, so we had to have the whole thing torn down

i mean it was an old shop but had those supports been kept in it could have been saved

at least i still have the foundation :) so i have a pretty big drive way lol

1 - 20 of 44 Posts