Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys so dont have much lately to throw at my stang lately but i got some hi tech stage 2s waiting to go in and a full longtube + with h pipe setup.

whats everyones opinion on performance valve bodies in a street car? i would really appreciate it if some of the auto guys could let me know the pros and cons of using the one by PA. this is the specific one im talkin about.

mind you this is my daily driver i wan to put it in... eventually it will be my weekend warrior though. especially with gas prices.

but here it is Performance Automatic - STREET STRIP VALVE BODY

would this be awesome in my car? or would i get the same effect from a shift kit in my stock valve body

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
just get a stall and shitkit..along with a handhelp.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why just a shift kit? not doubting what your saying i just wanna know why you say go shift kit over a brand new performance valve body. my car is tuned already with an sct chip as well.

i mean with this being a direct bolt on a shift kit is gonna cost me what 80-100 dollars and im sure close to that for the instal... sooooo a shift kit would only cost me a couple dollars less than a performance valve body that bolts right in cause at that point installation is basically free. instead of dealing with drilling stuff and installing the shift kit

EDIT and i do plan on a stall down the road when i get more money. but this seems to be what i want. i just wanna hear from someone who went with a brand new performance valve body and hear their review of it

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
basically i can get one of these from a friend for a bit over 200 bucks... is it worth it?

EDIt why does it seem like when you ask for an opinion on how a performance part functions someone just gives you a one liner about getting something completely different with NO explanation as to why

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
Well.... I have a reverse manual valve body in my car from PA... although I have a C4... Mine has a brake too...

It brings the joy of driving my car back, but does kinda become a PITA because your gonna have to get a new shifter. You need a hurst quarter stick style shifter.

BUT the valve body you have posted... just will create a more firm shift and allow you to lock the shifter and tranny into 1, 2 or drive.... just like you can now... IT will shift MUCH harder though, and probably a little quicker... In essence its the same as a shift kit.

A stall would be better money spent though.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well.... I have a reverse manual valve body in my car from PA... although I have a C4... Mine has a brake too...

It brings the joy of driving my car back, but does kinda become a PITA because your gonna have to get a new shifter. You need a hurst quarter stick style shifter.

BUT the valve body you have posted... just will create a more firm shift and allow you to lock the shifter and tranny into 1, 2 or drive.... just like you can now... IT will shift MUCH harder though, and probably a little quicker... In essence its the same as a shift kit.

A stall would be better money spent though.
awesome thats the type of response i was looking for +reps for sure. i dont quite get what your talking about in the beginning, i know what your saying bout your car but hows it apply to mine? btw mines same year as yours

EDIT: also i was wonderin will that valve body have any adverse affects on driveability? i love firm shifts and chirping tires. but just wondering if its got any cons to it..... everyone you said and from what ive read is all pros

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a MVB until you build the tranny for more power. A shift kit will let you downshift too. A shift kit, stall, and handheld it will feel awesome and run much better. Dont forget a transcooler too.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
o and also do i need anything extra with this? or can i bolt it with with my current sct tune and go?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wouldn't worry about a MVB until you build the tranny for more power. A shift kit will let you downshift too. A shift kit, stall, and handheld it will feel awesome and run much better. Dont forget a transcooler too.
but what i posted is not an all manual valve body... nor would i want one.... but how i see it since its gonna be the same prices as a shift kit+install wouldnt a new performance valve body be a better choice since they are same price?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Manual Valve Body allows you to choose what gear the car is in at ALL times...
but im not talking about a manual valve body... man im so confused

ooo i get it now... cause i asked about your setup.... yours is actually what i want to do down the road.... i got a fully built and blue printed 351w sitting in the garage waiting
440 hp easy muhahahah

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
A shiftkit replaces the weak links and springs of your stock valve body.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
btw thanks for all your help guys.... its greatly appreciated and hope i can return the favor some day. although my knowledge is limited.

so basically if its priced the same as shift kit + install it would be worth it or not?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
the problem with a "bought" valve body as opposed to instaling a shift kit is that you can not taylor things (ie. shift firmness, etc) your stuck with what the person who built it thinks you need (btw, the valve bodys PA sells are not "new" they are rebuilt just like yours would be after a shift kit install).

don't kid yourself, Matts car is a full on racecar with a completely diffrent transmission (ie. c-4 vs 4r70w), theres nothing you can compare between the two.

lastly, waiting on the stall with your plans is the worst thing you can do, the car will be a dog with cams & longtubes without a higher stall converter (&4.10 gears minimum if you don't have them already), save a little more & install everything at once.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
thats what I was thinkin Casper that it was a stock valvebody and just had a shiftkit thrown in it.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the problem with a "bought" valve body as opposed to instaling a shift kit is that you can not taylor things (ie. shift firmness, etc) your stuck with what the person who built it thinks you need (btw, the valve bodys PA sells are not "new" they are rebuilt just like yours would be after a shift kit install).

don't kid yourself, Matts car is a full on racecar with a completely diffrent transmission (ie. c-4 vs 4r70w), theres nothing you can compare between the two.

lastly, waiting on the stall with your plans is the worst thing you can do, the car will be a dog with cams & longtubes without a higher stall converter (&4.10 gears minimum if you don't have them already), save a little more & install everything at once.
o i know... i wasnt comparing our cars... i was just saying i have a fully built 351 windsor waiting for sometime down the road.

and thanks for the advise as to the order of operations... thats the good advice i like to hear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts